Procycling thread

myshkin

Cavendish was trying to ride into a space that wasn't there. Sagan was only focusing on demare's wheel, how could he have known who was behind him.

That said the elbow movement didn't look good.

Sagan's elbow isn't the thing that takes Cavendish down, from the front view you can see Cav is on the way down before the elbow flick. Sagan blocked Cavendish off from coming up the outside and I think should get demoted for the move. Cav was on Demare's wheel and Sagan cut him off, you can see that by the distance Demare pulls away from both of them.

46 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Sagan's elbow isn't the thing that takes Cavendish down, from the front view you can see Cav is on the way down before the elbow flick. Sagan blocked Cavendish off from coming up the outside and I think should get demoted for the move. Cav was on Demare's wheel and Sagan cut him off, you can see that by the distance Demare pulls away from both of them.

Seems they agree, he's been demoted on the stage and got a 30sec penalty apparently.

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Seems they agree, he's been demoted on the stage and got a 30sec penalty apparently.

Sagan has also been penalised 50 points plus he loses 30 points from finishing 2nd due to the DQ.

That 50 point penalty seems harsh, has a similar penalty ever been dished out?

Sagan disqualified for causing the crash. I have not seen it but is it not a bit excessive?

Probably the only way to stop him getting the green jersey for a sixth year in a row.

I haven't seen it yet. Will be watching the highlights show. From what I've read it's a bad one so it might be justified.

1 hour ago, Stirlingblue said:

Sagan disqualified for causing the crash. I have not seen it but is it not a bit excessive?

Multiple replays and he defo put his right elbow out on Cavendish into the barrier at high speed in the final stages of the sprint.  I think two other riders were also brought down as a result of that.

Edited by FlyerTon

he defo put his right elbow out on Cavendish into the barrier

I don't think he did. The crash had already happened. His elbow comes up after that; I'm not sure it even touched Cav.

He also, for me anyway, seemed to veer across the road in yesterday's finish to potentially block others off. The elbow was enough today to justify the disqualification and it seems clear what a guarded cab thinks.

Whilst I felt Sagan at fault. This is over the top. Relegation & fine, but to throw him out! Mental. He apologised personally & Cav accepted.
If I were Sagan I'd race Giro/Vuelta in future. Le Tour full of its own self importance.