Procycling thread

myshkin

36 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think Bardet will be hoping to keep it today, although if a large break goes like you say the others won't be pulling to help him.

Looks like the break at 7 mins won’t trouble Bardet so I can’t see any team bothered to pull them in, the Cat 3 with 20km is pretty brutal looking and will stop any sprint team’s pushing.

2 hours ago, stanton said:

Can’t see the breakaway getting another win today, this could be Cav’s chance to break the record 

Not sure he'll have fully recovered from Saturday yet but definitely a sprinters day. Getting harder to convince my daughter it's the Tour de France I'm watching and not the Giro.

FB_IMG_1719820028374.jpg

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Bit of history made with Biniam Girmay becoming the first black African to win a stage.

A crash about 2k out left a lot of riders out of position, including Cavendish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/articles/c3gwq0nnn4po

That last 5K was scary to watch at times, the speed they were going at was crazy 

Aye, the first week has been ridiculous and we're only on Tuesday! Two tough hilly stages and then a chaotic sprint before the Galibeier and it's only stage 4. Will be interesting to see if anyone attacks today - conventional wisdom suggests UAE would try and put Vinegaard under pressure but he reacted well to the attack on the San Luca. So they might play cat and mouse today which maybe suits Carapaz and Remco if they can keep up with the big two. Also need to see if Roglic can get back into the mix. Looking forward to sitting with Gary, Ned and David all afternoon. 

Mental descending. Fair play to Remco, I thought he was going to be miles back after losing down on the first downhill section but he got back to the second group and picked up some bonus seconds. He'll be eyeing up that time trial. Roglic dropped slightly on the climb and Vinegaard unable to keep up with the explosion from Pogacar, the bit where Tadej basically freewheeled round a hairpin then stepped on the pedals full gas was a crazy move. Pidcock showing he's not ready to do GC and Bernal showing he's not quite back to his best leaves Rodriguez as clear Ineos leader and looking a decent bet for a top 5. Couple of sprint days coming I think so hopefully a change for Cavendish to get number 35. Although he might not have the record from long if he does get it, the rate Pogacar racks up the stage wins. 12 now in the Tour and he's only 25!