Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Kendrick Lamar will probably be empty btw. Gigs In Scotland were giving away five pairs of tickets, and an absolute fuckload of people ended up winning them. They must be absolutely desperate.

That'll be the last time he ever headlines something here.

Going to Kendrick Lamar on Wednesday at the Summer Sessions, anyone with previous experience of going to concerts a Bellahouston Park,  what's the best way to and back from Queen Street for the last train back at half 11?

There's a shuttle bus from Buchanan street station. That's currently my plan, but mentally preparing myself for a 1 am citi link back to Edinburgh, with the back up offer of a sofa if I can't be arsed with the bus. Hoping to make the last train though.

40 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Kendrick Lamar will probably be empty btw. Gigs In Scotland were giving away five pairs of tickets, and an absolute fuckload of people ended up winning them. They must be absolutely desperate.

That'll be the last time he ever headlines something here.

DF have ripped the arse out of the amount of outdoor gigs in Glasgow/Edinburgh this year. I would be surprised if they have as many planned for next (or any other) year. 

Kendrick played the Hydro in February. I'm not particularly surprised that he hasn't sold out a massive outdoor show six months later at the prices being charged, regardless of how big he is. The same goes for Brian Wilson. He's played here touring the Pet Sounds show for three years in a row (also at considerable ticket price). The Edinburgh show last week was downgraded from Princes Street Gardens to the Playhouse.

I'm not buying the February thing. Stereophonics played two nights at the Hydro, selling out one, and still managed to shift a good amount of tickets to their TRNSMT show.

The overdoing of outdoor gigs is probably a MUCH bigger problem. The SS shows were announced a fair bit later than the TRNSMT ones so the TRNSMT ones were already at a big advantage.

Catfish and KoL seemed to do well. KoL certainly had a decent if not massive crowd, and my wee cousin said Catfish was about the same.

Was at I'm With Her in Edinburgh last night. 3rd time I've seen them this year.

They were great. They always are but the short set during Celtic Connections in January left a lot of people unsatisfied. Last night was a slightly different set from the one they played in Gateshead back in May. A different cover version here and there. A couple of songs dropped from the set (including their cover of Vasen's 'Hasse A' and their own song 'Hundred Miles').

Only slightly down note was during the encore. I'm not sure if they planned on doing a couple more or if it was only the unamplified version of 'Be My Husband' but somebody in the crowd downstairs in Queens Hall (my mate and I were upstairs) was a little loud. I don't want to sound like a complete arsehole here but I'm not sure if it was somebody in the crowd with learning or development difficulties? Music should be accessible to everybody but whoever it was in the crowd was making some noises and Aoife O'Donovan was clearly getting a bit distressed. She kept looking at the other 2 and then at one of the venue staff at the side of the stage. Not sure if she thought the person in the crowd was in distress but she was definitely unsettled by it. It's a shame that the encore ended that way - I've been at an Edinburgh gig before where there was a disabled person in the crowd who became a bit excited and vocal during the gig and I'm all for everybody being able to access and enjoy both recorded and live music. I just feel a bit for Aoife as it clearly shook her a bit.

Didnt really detract from the show. More an observation really. They did a cover of Hannah Hunt by Vampire Weekend that was absolutely inspired.

16 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

I'm not buying the February thing. Stereophonics played two nights at the Hydro, selling out one, and still managed to shift a good amount of tickets to their TRNSMT show.

The overdoing of outdoor gigs is probably a MUCH bigger problem. The SS shows were announced a fair bit later than the TRNSMT ones so the TRNSMT ones were already at a big advantage.

Catfish and KoL seemed to do well. KoL certainly had a decent if not massive crowd, and my wee cousin said Catfish was about the same.

CATB was absolutely packing. Completely sold out and full of 14 year olds.

Kendrick was good last night. Not as good a show as his one at the Hydro for obvious logistical reasons, but he tore through a chunk of Good Kid Maad City and I was delighted at that.

The crowd was some mix as well. Odd mix of jailbait, bams and hunners of c***s dressed like they were heading out in Ibiza rather than Bellahouston. 

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Kendrick was good last night. Not as good a show as his one at the Hydro for obvious logistical reasons, but he tore through a chunk of Good Kid Maad City and I was delighted at that.

The crowd was some mix as well. Odd mix of jailbait, bams and hunners of c***s dressed like they were heading out in Ibiza rather than Bellahouston. 

Aye the amount of c***s cutting about in LA lakers jerseys etc and shorts was mental. 

Was also hilariously cringey to watch fat white men throwing gang signs and saying the N-word.

1 minute ago, Nadroj said:

Aye the amount of c***s cutting about in LA lakers jerseys etc and shorts was mental. 

Was also hilariously cringey to watch fat white men throwing gang signs and saying the N-word.

I know exactly the person you're referring to. :lol: The guy was cutting about in a basketball jersey while being built like the gable end of a five pound note. Also seen loads of folk wearing £140 trainers that looked fresh out the box which is mental at any gig imo.

It was the oldest I've felt in a while. At 27 I reckon I was a good chunk older than about 90% of the crowd.

I know exactly the person you're referring to. :lol: The guy was cutting about in a basketball jersey while being built like the gable end of a five pound note. Also seen loads of folk wearing £140 trainers that looked fresh out the box which is mental at any gig imo.
It was the oldest I've felt in a while. At 27 I reckon I was a good chunk older than about 90% of the crowd.

I was thinking that. I'm 28 but look quite young and basically always get ID'd. Queuing up at the security guard to get to the bar every single person ahead of me got ID'd but he just waved me on.

Bains is absolutely on fire at the moment.  Incredible live stuff, and his "sermons" are right on the money.  Hope there's a big turn out.  There was almost nobody at the Bristol gig.  
Also turns out that they're all thoroughly pleasant people.  

You weren’t wrong. Unreal show in Glasgow tonight.

The person I went with was on crutches so we got disability access with our own toilets and people to go to the bar for us, would recommend despite it being especially cold. Agree on the crowd for Kendrick it looked hilarious. Some guy was cutting about all night with his shirt open billowing in the wind like he was in a Backstreet Boys video. 

Kendrick was class as was N.E.R.D. Between Pharrell and whoever was in charge of the tunes between bands I must've heard every Migos related hit from the last couple of years.

Public Image Ltd in Dundee tonight.

i went to see Lydon do a q&a at the Whitehall theatre last night. He was interviewed by Billy Sloan before taking questions from the audience. It was mildly amusing. Lydon was half pissed and sat sipping beer all night. Although he can be witty it did feel at times like some old drunk guy in a pub was talking at you. There was a few drunk hecklers shouting out absolute bollocks. 

overall it was alright and a decent precursor for the main event tonight.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Got standing this morning.

Ooft you had more luck than me. I was fucked into a queue again and then all the tickets were gone. 

Would prefer standing but just glad I'm going. Will be some night.

Edited by Nadroj