Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Just so you know, my earlier post wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at those idiots out there (and they do exist) that think like that.

See, I like watching bands grow and develop. At some point they realise they have the potential to make some money, so they capitalise on it, maybe for 2 albums, then they'll go "back to their roots". Usually this happens about 5 or 6 albums in. Is that the midlife crisis point for bands or something?

I had no idea what to expect when I heard Puzzle was coated with poppy goodness, but the one thing I liked about the album was that while it was far more accessible than anything else they had done, it was still Biffy. They still kept things a little bit awkward, which I like. It's quite difficult to make an awkward pop song, but they manage to do it pretty well.

Nae bother. I didn't think the poppy stuff on Puzzle was that awkward. For an off kilter pop album you can't really beat Troublegum by Therapy? I thought Kids from Kimble and Ideal Height were better examples of awkward pop but you have to listen hard for that melody.

I don't hate Puzzle Living.., Get F@@@@ Stud, Semi Mental all float my boat I just thought the songs I mentioned earlier were too obvious.

Looking forward to the gig though.

Anyone got a set list from recent shows.

"Muse" - 12th November o2 London.

"A"- King Tuts 2d December Glasgow

Yea Yea Yea's - o2 9th December Glasgow

"Flaming Lips" - o2 15th Nov Glasgow

A still on the go then? If you get to speak to them ask them if they ever hear from Dominic Anderson (used to be in a Southend based band called Understand) - he used to do a bit of roadie work for them.

Nae bother. I didn't think the poppy stuff on Puzzle was that awkward. For an off kilter pop album you can't really beat Troublegum by Therapy? I thought Kids from Kimble and Ideal Height were better examples of awkward pop but you have to listen hard for that melody.

I don't hate Puzzle Living.., Get F@@@@ Stud, Semi Mental all float my boat I just thought the songs I mentioned earlier were too obvious.

Looking forward to the gig though.

Obviously it wasn't too awkard, but it was just songs like Get Fucked Stud, with that little riff at the beginning that cuts out when you don't expect it to. You don't really get that kind of thing floating around the charts.

I did listen to the early albums a few months ago and I started to realise just how good they used to be, and no, I'm not saying that they are crap now, because I still think they are great. But some of the old songs really are something.

Obviously it wasn't too awkard, but it was just songs like Get Fucked Stud, with that little riff at the beginning that cuts out when you don't expect it to. You don't really get that kind of thing floating around the charts.

I did listen to the early albums a few months ago and I started to realise just how good they used to be, and no, I'm not saying that they are crap now, because I still think they are great. But some of the old songs really are something.

Biffy Clyro seem to have a bunch of fans who sneer at folk for liking their new stuff. It IS possible to like both and I very much doubt they are forcing themselves to create "pop" songs and if that is what is coming naturally then so be it.

They did however, play far too many songs off Puzzle last night and only about 3/4 new songs. Still absolutely cracking live if a little disappointing.

Biffy Clyro seem to have a bunch of fans who sneer at folk for liking their new stuff. It IS possible to like both and I very much doubt they are forcing themselves to create "pop" songs and if that is what is coming naturally then so be it.

They did however, play far too many songs off Puzzle last night and only about 3/4 new songs. Still absolutely cracking live if a little disappointing.

Nah, they aren't forcing themselves to write pop songs, but I would imagine that they stumbled upon a few of them and then their manager told them they could make a few quid out of it. You can't force a good song out, but you can certainly change your style of writing to make money, which I'm totally for.

Although it seems they've went a bit Kings Of Leon though. It's like Simon fucked up shaving one day, so just went for the designer stubble to grow it back, went for a haircut and the barber fucked that up, so he went for the "short/long" look to grow it back, then went to the studio without a top on because the hairs were causing a nasty itch, then their manager thought "wait a minute... He's actually a good looking guy. Lets tie him up for a good old oily whipping in a video!".

I suppose I do seem a bit anti Biffy these days, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I fucking love Biffy, short hair, oily torso and all.

I went to see Skerryvore last night. Sort of like a Scottish Flogging Molly, a nice mix of fast paced rock and traditional folk. My only complaint that there was no promotion, and so almost nobody was there. Oh, and you had to go into a different room for the bar, and the set finished before ten. Apparently it was for charity, but still.

I'd go to seem them again though, really good sound!

Nah, they aren't forcing themselves to write pop songs, but I would imagine that they stumbled upon a few of them and then their manager told them they could make a few quid out of it. You can't force a good song out, but you can certainly change your style of writing to make money, which I'm totally for.

Although it seems they've went a bit Kings Of Leon though. It's like Simon fucked up shaving one day, so just went for the designer stubble to grow it back, went for a haircut and the barber fucked that up, so he went for the "short/long" look to grow it back, then went to the studio without a top on because the hairs were causing a nasty itch, then their manager thought "wait a minute... He's actually a good looking guy. Lets tie him up for a good old oily whipping in a video!".

I suppose I do seem a bit anti Biffy these days, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I fucking love Biffy, short hair, oily torso and all.

That wasn't directed at you either btw though I did quote your post. It was more a general point.

Their style of writing has definitely changed but the songs are just as good while appealing to more people, which as you've said is good for them. The style of video recently has became more vain but they had always used Simon's looks, Justboy being a perfect example of that.

I HATE those music Nazi's though like those "indie kids" a few years ago who sneered at "emo". It just annoys the f**k out me.