Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Franz Ferdinand next Saturday, surely to f**k these Danish bar prices are a hoax that they wind up gullible tourists with before they go there?
Teaching WWI with my second year class just now and when we started on the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, I said 'not the band!'

None of them knew what I was talking about :(

Was at Reading Festival over the weekend and it was absolutely class. Highlights from each day were probably - Friday: The Fever 333, The Front Bottoms and Nothing But Thieves, Saturday: Mike Shinoda, The Magic Gang and Papa Roach, Sunday: Sleep Token, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes and Slaves.

The only acts I caught who I couldn't get into were Post Malone, Brockhampton and Bexey but I can't stand the autotuned singing over a track. They were all very received by the majority though so fair play to them. At the ripe old age of 22 I almost felt too old to be there. Loads of wee fannies cutting about.

Going to Kendrick Lamar on Wednesday at the Summer Sessions, anyone with previous experience of going to concerts a Bellahouston Park,  what's the best way to and back from Queen Street for the last train back at half 11?

Stella Donnelly was tremendous last week. Privilege to see her at this stage of her career, particularly if - as she strongly implied - she's going to be playing with a band in future.

Pussy Riot at the Edinburgh Festival were ... interesting. In a good way.

Kendrick tomorrow. I mind hearing Eminem almost word for word up in Possil when he played Bellahouston so hopefully sound shouldn’t be an issue.

I'm going too. What's it like as a venue? Not particularly interested in Bugzy Malone or NERD but don't want to turn up later and find myself miles away from the stage.

17 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Just sorted Courteeners/Gerry Cinnamon tickets in pre sale.

f**k me, it was like being back in 2001 trying to get Oasis tickets!

Did you get straight in mate? I was in a queue for about a minute then by the time I was out standing tickets were gone. Had to get seating instead which is a bit shit.

47 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Did you get straight in mate? I was in a queue for about a minute then by the time I was out standing tickets were gone. Had to get seating instead which is a bit shit.

Got seated tickets but decent seats.

Still gonna try for standing.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Got seated tickets but decent seats.

Still gonna try for standing.

Aye thats the same as me. I actually don't mind the seating, decent view and sound but standing edges it a bit for me. Hopefully get a couple on friday.

5 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires at The Hug & Pint tomorrow, then The Lone Bellow in Edinburgh on Friday.

Both excellent live acts, so should be a good couple of days.

Bains is absolutely on fire at the moment.  Incredible live stuff, and his "sermons" are right on the money.  Hope there's a big turn out.  There was almost nobody at the Bristol gig.  

Also turns out that they're all thoroughly pleasant people.  

1 hour ago, Taxman said:

Hopefully going to St. Luke & the Winged Ox next Friday to see IBG supporting Space.

It's a lovely wee venue and it does a cracking pint of it's in house St Lukes lager. Sold out of it the last time I was there. :whistle

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Bains is absolutely on fire at the moment.  Incredible live stuff, and his "sermons" are right on the money.  Hope there's a big turn out.  There was almost nobody at the Bristol gig.  

Also turns out that they're all thoroughly pleasant people.  

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. The only other time I saw them, the bassist broke a string and didn't have any replacements, so a guy from the crowd ran home to get a replacement, so we got Bains solo for the majority. As good as that was, I'm really wanting to see a full Glory Fires set. There was only a handful of people at the show last year, not expecting a massive turnout for tomorrow, which would be a great shame. 

Edited by GrahamJags

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:28, Sloop John B said:

Going to Kendrick Lamar on Wednesday at the Summer Sessions, anyone with previous experience of going to concerts a Bellahouston Park,  what's the best way to and back from Queen Street for the last train back at half 11?

Depending on when you leave I'd probably say the Subway. Go to Dumbreck Road and walk north, Ibrox is ~15 minutes away. 

1 hour ago, GrahamJags said:

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. The only other time I saw them, the bassist broke a string and didn't have any replacements, so a guy from the crowd ran home to get a replacement, so we got Bains solo for the majority. As good as that was, I'm really wanting to see a full Glory Fires set. There was only a handful of people at the show last year, not expecting a massive turnout for tomorrow, which would be a great shame. 

I'm trying my damnedest to encourage folk to go see them.   They really play loud.  Mogwai-loud, I might even suggest.