Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Guest Tim-Robino
Blitzhoney in the Buff (Club), tonight. Support band onstage 9pm, Blitzhoney onstage 10pm. It's free entry, we're unreliably led to believe.

The Daily Record says go!

Think I'll make it along to this one too.

Arcade fire tickets go on sale in 12 minutes

Bloody lecture

Sold out both days in an hour! Very surprised at that! Decided against going anyway as my idssertation is due on the Friday of that week and I reckon I'll be stressing about that... ;)

Went to Joanna Newsom last night - it was incredible. She did the whole Ys album with orchestra, then after a break played other songs solo with the harp and with a couple of guys accompanying her.

It was mesmerising, best live music experience I've had for years, possibly ever.

Went to Joanna Newsom last night - it was incredible. She did the whole Ys album with orchestra, then after a break played other songs solo with the harp and with a couple of guys accompanying her.

It was mesmerising, best live music experience I've had for years, possibly ever.

Fantastic wasn't it. My cheeks are still stained with tears.

Her voice, which understandably isn't to everyones taste on record, seemed softer and less 'quirky' live and the orchestral accompaniment was just lovely. It's genuinely really impressive watching someone play the harp as it looks like a really bloody difficult instrument to master. She is also very easy on the eye to say the least it has to be said.

Fantastic wasn't it. My cheeks are still stained with tears.

Her voice, which understandably isn't to everyones taste on record, seemed softer and less 'quirky' live and the orchestral accompaniment was just lovely. It's genuinely really impressive watching someone play the harp as it looks like a really bloody difficult instrument to master. She is also very easy on the eye to say the least it has to be said.

Damn straight, she was gorgeous :D

The voice was the thing I was "worried" about, but she hit every note and it sounded great. The only thing that was wrong with the whole performance was the squeal of feedback during Monkey and Bear which brought you back to reality (although I did see the wee fella from Mogwai there and commented that it was probably his favourite bit :P )

The only thing that was wrong with the whole performance was the squeal of feedback during Monkey and Bear which brought you back to reality (although I did see the wee fella from Mogwai there and commented that it was probably his favourite bit :P )

Even given that I've seen bands like the Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine etc. live, that was one of the most terrifying bits of feedback I've ever heard particularly given the genteel nature of the evening. That wee Mogwai bloke seems to be at an awful lot of gigs I go to.

The wee yelping noise she was making during the song in the second set (the one she said would be on the new EP) made me come over slightly uneccessary. Maybe I shouldn't admit to that on a public forum but hey ho.

Even given that I've seen bands like the Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine etc. live, that was one of the most terrifying bits of feedback I've ever heard particularly given the genteel nature of the evening. That wee Mogwai bloke seems to be at an awful lot of gigs I go to.

Link

Incidentally, since a thread on them would probably get about 4 replies, Kevin Shields has apparently said that there will "100%" be another MBV Album :D

Kevin Shields has revealed, in an interview published in the January/February issue of Magnet Magazine, that he intends to record another full-length with My Bloody Valentine. It would be the shoegaze overlords' first album since 1991's classic Loveless.

"I do feel that I will make another great record," Shields told the publication. "We are 100% going to make another My Bloody Valentine record unless we die or something. I'd feel really bad if I didn't make another record. Like, shit, people only got the first two chapters, but the last bit is the best bit. It's just that it's taken me such an oddly long time for that to happen." Wait. Better than Loveless? Kev, we know good for press and everything, but holy crap, dude, what are you saying?

Given Shields' recent remix and solo work for Sofia Coppola films and Go! Team singles, the guy has a lot to prove-- although there's no question the album would certainly be one of the most highly anticipated releases of... whatever year it eventually comes out. As for what year that might be, Shields was hesitant to give any kind of timeframe. (Actually, the answer was, "I don't know," so let's just take this with a grain of salt altogether.) But Shields did have this to say, in defense of the band's inability, thus far, to follow their magnum opus:

"A lot of people say the reason My Bloody Valentine didn't make another record is because we couldn't. That's mostly true, but not because we couldn't make another record, but because I never could be bothered to make another record unless I was really excited by it. And just by fate or whatever, that never happened. I'm quite optimistic about the future, even though experience has taught me that I'm probably just delusional."

One of your aliases?! :huh:<_<

Ha, no, just that when the gig was first mentioned a few months ago here we joked about it being a room fool of quietly weeping men at it.

I don't have any aliases other than Radford :P

Ha, no, just that when the gig was first mentioned a few months ago here we joked about it being a room fool of quietly weeping men at it.

I don't have any aliases other than Radford :P

I've heard some of her stuff, its ok tho wouldnt really want to spend an evening listening to it.

I will concede tho that she is foxy as hell. Was a big pic of her in last Thursday's Herald. Lovely :wub:

I think it was a bit tongue in cheek ;)

You say that, but.........

Mixed feelings about a new MBV album. Although really into stuff like that back in the day, can't say I ever have much desire to listen to them these days and the occasional times I have heard bits and pieces of them recently it kind of leaves me a bit cold. Loveless was an incredible record at the time though, and I guess I'd still be a bit intrigued to hear any new stuff at least for nostalgias sake.

You say that, but.........

Mixed feelings about a new MBV album. Although really into stuff like that back in the day, can't say I ever have much desire to listen to them these days and the occasional times I have heard bits and pieces of them recently it kind of leaves me a bit cold. Loveless was an incredible record at the time though, and I guess I'd still be a bit intrigued to hear any new stuff at least for nostalgias sake.

The level of expectation now is so much it could only be a disappointment, really.

That said the Lost In Translation bits he did were likeable, and his work with Primal Scream was awesome (the If We Move Kill Em mix and Shoot Speed Kill Light are probably the best things they've released, thanks to him, in my humble opinion).

That said the Lost In Translation bits he did were likeable, and his work with Primal Scream was awesome (the If We Move Kill Em mix and Shoot Speed Kill Light are probably the best things they've released, thanks to him, in my humble opinion).

Not that familiar with his post MBV stuff but an album I do really like is Bavarian Fruit Bread by Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions, which was a collaboration between Hope Sandoval (former singer in Mazzy Star) and Colm O'Ciosoig the former drummer in MBV. It's riduculously maudlin and melancholic but a really fine album. I was a big fan of Mazzy Star and Hope's got one of these singing voices that makes pretty much anything sound sublime.

Returning to the topic of the thread however, it's time to unfurl the Texan flag, pop on my bandana and spark up a bifter as it's Willie Nelson at the SECC next.