Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Bought a ticket for LOLO at Classic Grand in October... now got 4 gigs in 6 days again, whoops!
I also believe this to be one of the gigs I will be at least 15yrs older than everyone else in the front row and the only male not dragged along by their partner. idc though her music is too damn catchy.

Just back from Love Revisited at Gosforth Civic Theatre.  Phenomenal, couldn't make Glasgow last year, but we're down in Newcastle 5mins from the venue so went round.  Tickets getting booked for St Luke's on Friday.  Really special seeing songs you've loved for decades being performed live.  Johnny Echols on great form for being 77.  Can't even pick a highlight it was that good 

Edited by the aggressive beggar

Not long back from the Bandstand at the Kelvingrove park in Glasgow watching The Midnight. Superb show. They are a synth/retro wave band from LA. 

Edited by Wardy

I just saw Jake Bugg at Fat Sam's.

Bugg was decent. Okay... he's derivative indie landfill, but he's good at what he does. Well above average for the genre.

Fattie's is such a shite venue though. Really badly laid out. It's difficult to find a spot where you can see and hear the act without having all manner of c***s continually pushing past you.

I'm gonna swerve the venue in future, unless it's somebody that I'm desperate to see. 

Such a shame that it's the only mid-sized venue in Dundee putting on reasonably well known acts.

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I just saw Jake Bugg at Fat Sam's.

Bugg was decent. Okay... he's derivative indie landfill, but he's good at what he does. Well above average for the genre.

Fattie's is such a shite venue though. Really badly laid out. It's difficult to find a spot where you can see and hear the act without having all manner of c***s continually pushing past you.

I'm gonna swerve the venue in future, unless it's somebody that I'm desperate to see. 

Such a shame that it's the only mid-sized venue in Dundee putting on reasonably well known acts.

Was it the Fat Sam's Live (if that's still a thing) space or the smaller stage on the second floor of the club? Both are shit tbf. 

In the central belt for a few days and went to the Glas-Goes Pop Fest on Saturday at Glasgow Uni. San Francisco’s Tony Molina was a jingle-jangle highlight as was Teenage Fanclub’s Gerard Love. What a songwriter. Also went to the ‘after party’ show at Mono on Sunday and saw The Cords and the terrific Lightheaded, also from San Francisco.

I was at the Pip Blom gig at Beat Generator in Dundee tonight.

First up was support act Vanity Fairy, who was like the b*****d lovechild of Sylvester and Donna Summer. That was a very entertaining pastiche of late 70s disco.

Pip Blom was excellent. A great performance. Pip should be much more successful than she is.

Waxahatchee gig last night.

Band were tight and she was really crisp and clear. Ran through well over 20 songs on the set list. Unfortunately it left me feeling more than a bit bored. I really like her music, but I could have  sat at home with my headphones on last night and had largely the same experience. I don't want a gig to sound exactly like the songs do on record. I want a bit of presence and personality on stage. Last night's gig just didnt have any of that and the performance itself felt a bit boring. The set list was made up of pretty much the entire latest album and a lot of the previous one.  Almost nothing from her first 4 albums. The result was a set that sounded samey. I know I'm in the minority - the sell out crowd last night mostly seemed to love the gig.

I just found the whole thing to be underwhelming.

Future Islands were excellent last night at the Kelvingrove Bandstand. Next up for me is the Friday night of Belle & Sebastian's weekender at SWG3. Them, Camera Obscura, The Joy Hotel and Mary In The Junkyard is some lineup.

August Gigs

4th: Unbuilt Cities (Inn Defence, Dumbarton)
7th: The Kimberly Steaks (The Bungalow, Paisley)
8th: Taylor Swift Tribute (Beacon Arts Centre, Greenock)
11th: Shy, Low and A Burial At Sea (The Hug & Pint)
21st: Beach Freak, Zoned Out, Everyday Pharaohs and Gambit (The Bungalow, Paisley)
30th: Smells Like Nirvana (Audio)

Edited by Craig fae the Vale

On 31/07/2024 at 08:50, BallochSonsFan said:

Waxahatchee gig last night.

Band were tight and she was really crisp and clear. Ran through well over 20 songs on the set list. Unfortunately it left me feeling more than a bit bored. I really like her music, but I could have  sat at home with my headphones on last night and had largely the same experience. I don't want a gig to sound exactly like the songs do on record. I want a bit of presence and personality on stage. Last night's gig just didnt have any of that and the performance itself felt a bit boring. The set list was made up of pretty much the entire latest album and a lot of the previous one.  Almost nothing from her first 4 albums. The result was a set that sounded samey. I know I'm in the minority - the sell out crowd last night mostly seemed to love the gig.

I just found the whole thing to be underwhelming.

I was one of the ones who loved it! I thought the new album was a little 'thin' sounding production wise (and her voice can sometimes get on my nerves slightly) but the band sounded great. Spencer Tweedy on drums was dad-rock heaven and Katie C sounded tremendous. Really liked the new song too!

6th time seeing Keane at the O2 Academy Edinburgh Corn Exchange last night. Sounding as good as ever, though the venue was absolutely roasting.

Next is Combichrist on the 9th and Blink 182 on the 30th. Might also get tickets to Stand Atlantic in September.