Gigs

pilsner_ffc

American Football at the Barrowlands tonight.

A special, special night that I'll remember for a long time. LP1 in full for it's 25th Anniversary was absolutely stunning, and the extended encore of their newer material was every bit as good. Emo legends for a reason.

Support came from young female math rock/shoegaze trio Hello Mary who were also superb. They have an album out tomorrow that I'll definitely be checking out.

20240912_212303.jpg

9 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

A special, special night that I'll remember for a long time. LP1 in full for it's 25th Anniversary was absolutely stunning, and the extended encore of their newer material was every bit as good. Emo legends for a reason.

Support came from young female math rock/shoegaze trio Hello Mary who were also superb. They have an album out tomorrow that I'll definitely be checking out.

20240912_212303.jpg

I was a huge fan of anything Kinsella growing up. When AF reformed in 2014 I went over to New York to see them thinking that would be the only opportunity I’d get to ever witness them live. Fast forward 10 years and they’ve played Glasgow / Edinburgh 5 or 6 times and released 2 more albums 😆

Not complaining btw, very grateful that they’re still on the go and making new music - Owen too.

My only criticism of last night was they should’ve swapped the set list around. Play a few newer songs to get warmed up then come out and play LP 1. I noticed a few folk leaving early because they’d heard all they wanted to.

18 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

I was a huge fan of anything Kinsella growing up. When AF reformed in 2014 I went over to New York to see them thinking that would be the only opportunity I’d get to ever witness them live. Fast forward 10 years and they’ve played Glasgow / Edinburgh 5 or 6 times and released 2 more albums 😆

Not complaining btw, very grateful that they’re still on the go and making new music - Owen too.

My only criticism of last night was they should’ve swapped the set list around. Play a few newer songs to get warmed up then come out and play LP 1. I noticed a few folk leaving early because they’d heard all they wanted to.

I had a couple beers with Evan Thomas Weiss of Into It. Over It, when they were over a couple months ago and I was wearing an American Football shirt. Evan asked if I was going to see this tour and was saying how much of a thrill it was to have played with Mike in Their / They're / There, he played drums for them in their first stint. He's so revered by his peers and you can really see why. It was my first time seeing them due to various circumstances, and I'll definitely go see them every time they're here going forward. 

I was right at the barrier so didn't see anyone leaving after LP1 was finished, but anyone who left early missed a stunning encore. It's always a hard balance doing these anniversary shows, do you come out hot with the album or do you play it later? I've seen both done and I'm still unsure on what the best format is.

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

do you come out hot with the album or do you play it later? I've seen both done and I'm still unsure on what the best format is.

A few years ago I went to an Anniversary Tour of Hi-Fi Serious by A. (Yes, the band is called A - first in HMV but f**ked it when searching on Spotify/YoureaTube/Limewire) They started with Somethings Going On, did a few and then spoke to the crowd - "I know we missed out Nothing. We'll play it at the encore. We tried doing it at the start a few nights ago, then we did it at the end to finish and it was pants. So you will get to hear it, but we're saving it for later!" I also went to a similar tour for InMe, playing the albums Overgrown Eden and White Butterfly. Dave was like "This is the next song... aah, you all know what it is anyway! You know the album order better than me!"

Anyway, last night was Slyder Smith And The Oblivion Kids at Malone's Glasgow. Not to be confused with Molly Malone's (as seemingly everyone did) Malone's is two streets away, down a lane, and has an upstairs with bar/stage. Stage was tiny but sound and lighting was as good as can be expected. The Keg sounded good and Slyder was decent. (Not uploading pics, still 2 months behind sorting them out lol)

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I had a couple beers with Evan Thomas Weiss of Into It. Over It, when they were over a couple months ago and I was wearing an American Football shirt. Evan asked if I was going to see this tour and was saying how much of a thrill it was to have played with Mike in Their / They're / There, he played drums for them in their first stint. He's so revered by his peers and you can really see why. It was my first time seeing them due to various circumstances, and I'll definitely go see them every time they're here going forward. 

I was right at the barrier so didn't see anyone leaving after LP1 was finished, but anyone who left early missed a stunning encore. It's always a hard balance doing these anniversary shows, do you come out hot with the album or do you play it later? I've seen both done and I'm still unsure on what the best format is.

That’s cool, I was thinking of heading down for that IIOI gig but it was a Monday night and it’s a bit of a slog from Aberdeen. 

That’s how I discovered T/T/T as I heard Mike was in the band and subsequently discovered IIOI. The newest T/T/T album is an absolute banger. If they ever came over here that would be a must see.

I just noticed TGUK are playing next year in support of STWHA 25th anniversary. Another emo classic, will be heading down for that one. 

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Ticketmaster plumbing new depths this morning 

@GrahamJags if you have a spare ticket for the Twilight Sad in Glasgow or Edinburgh then remember your old pal Miguel and all the joy he's brought you on P&B

What if I told you there are other options than Ticketb*****d.

The Twilight Sad | The Queen's Hall (thequeenshall.net)

Glasgow looks sold out though.

7 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I just saw the Getup Kids announcement there. Very interested. 

I f**king love that album.

The link to tickets on their website seems to be live.

https://432presents.seetickets.com/event/the-get-up-kids/saint-luke-s/3131440?aff=id1songkick&pre=artist

1 hour ago, STFU_Donny said:

I f**king love that album.

The link to tickets on their website seems to be live.

https://432presents.seetickets.com/event/the-get-up-kids/saint-luke-s/3131440?aff=id1songkick&pre=artist

Magic. Will definitely be looking into that one.

Just booked to see Vinnie Caruana solo again in December. No Glasgow show this year (I assume because there were only about 60 of us at Broadcast last year) so it's another trip to Leeds for me.

3 hours ago, STFU_Donny said:

What if I told you there are other options than Ticketb*****d.

The Twilight Sad | The Queen's Hall (thequeenshall.net)

Glasgow looks sold out though.

I managed an Edinburgh ticket. Had to restart the app but Glasgow did seem sold out earlier when I was trying. I checked TicketWeb last night and it said Glasgow was sold out, I wasn't sure if that was the gig as a whole or just what they had on offer. I also missed the presale yesterday which was my fault but at least I got something.

23 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Ticketmaster plumbing new depths this morning 

@GrahamJags if you have a spare ticket for the Twilight Sad in Glasgow or Edinburgh then remember your old pal Miguel and all the joy he's brought you on P&B

Managed to get a Glasgow one on presale, but if I see any going, will give you a shout. Twickets notifications are your friend though.

On 12/09/2024 at 23:46, Craig fae the Vale said:

20240912_212303.jpg

I was at this too and was blown away by how good they were. I didn't have big expectations as it's easy for music like that to be a bit boring live but I thought the sound was amazing, I was right at the back but every instrument was really clear. I skipped them at Primavera this summer to save them for this gig and I'm glad I did, doesn't get much better than Stay Home ringing around the Barrowlands. 

14 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Texas at the Hydro last night. Cracking as per usual from Sharleen and the boys.

Tonight was excellent. Met john Bishop, Bobby bluebell, jonny mcilhone (texas bass player) and KT Tunstall afterwards.  And of course the holy grail of gigs, which is going in a frame.

20240916_000945.jpg

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

...and the girl drummer.

BTW, how good were tunstall and burrows?? I'd happily go and see them again.  Burrows likes a photo bomb though 😂

20240915_230917.jpg