Do You Remember When?

MarvMarvSuperMarv

You definitely get wiser as you get older. You also become more tolerant and understanding of others and I have come to terms with CTWD's deluded nature. I would probably worry about his well being if I didn't get a request on Bebo or Facebook.

The weirdest thing he ever did was attend a Partick Thistle vs St.Johnstone match a few years back and sit in the St.Johnstone end, one row and approximately six seats behind me - on his own. He tries to play it down, but when I look back, some of it was just bizarre.

How did he know where you sat?

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you remember when I was "raith_no1"?

I don't think anyone does anymore.

I do. I've just realised you'd have been 13 or so when you started on here- one of the original weans.

The site was of course much smaller back then. There were only about 5 forums I think (one for each division and a general nonsense one) and each club had only a handful of posters apart from St Mirren and Falkirk who maybe had a couple of dozen regulars each.

It probably was more "fun" back then and far less adversarial (except when St Sid started winding people up) but it's inevitable as a site grows, just like anything else, it becomes far more impersonal and it's harder to keep assholes out. I do think some of the site is more childish than it was back then but to be fair most of the childishness is contained in GN. A degree of that may also be that we all get older and less in tune with the minds of the youngest members.

There are some things I miss about the "good old days" but probably many more I prefer about it now. The site still has a lot going for it but it has a fluid moving population. I doubt many of the regulars who were posting in 2003 are still on here as much, though of course some are.

Can anyone else remember when the SPL, 1st, 2nd and 3rd division forums all had their own e-chat and General Nonsense forums?

Yeah. I was going to take the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to correct Skyline Drifter but CK (another one of the original weans) has beat me to it- there used to be 4 GN forums, but only the first division one had more than a few posts on it. I remember the outcry when the booze thread was moved into the SPL General Nonsense forum when Falkirk got promoted as it was started by a Falkirk fan.

You make me sad. :(

I deliberately did not mention that because it's probably the part of the whole sorry saga that I feel most shamed about. The time he pretended to be a non-existent person of a similar age to me to try and woo me. I was at a very impressionable age and looking back now, it's never seemed more inappropriate.

You then sent one of the pictures to me! You mentally raped me!

I have no doubt that there are still some decent posters around but I think the nature of the league itself reflects in the nature of posting on the forum. It's like there should be three sub-SPL forums. Celtic and Rangers completely seperate, then the likes of Hibs, Dundee United, Motherwell, Aberdeen etc and then the rest of us. In the first division there was rarely anything that was completely irrelevant to you. In the SPL I find most of it irrelevant. Even in threads that bear some relevance to Saints, you have to go through post after post of utter nonsense to find anything decent and my attention span has completely deserted me by that point.

I see your Point, apart from mentioning Hearts, when quite clearly we are the third biggest side in the country, 3 performances against you fermers aside.

I personally think the game is Scotland is just in so much of a lull at the moment, and 95% of the football being served up is of such a poor standard, that folks are totally turned off from it and from this threads turn in to bitching sessions because of it and any reasonable chat gets washed away

Yeah. I was going to take the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to correct Skyline Drifter but CK (another one of the original weans) has beat me to it- there used to be 4 GN forums, but only the first division one had more than a few posts on it. I remember the outcry when the booze thread was moved into the SPL General Nonsense forum when Falkirk got promoted as it was started by a Falkirk fan.

It was like that to begin with? You sure? I remember it being like that but thought it was later. Having said that it wouldn't make sense that you would split GN having had it all as one first.

Actually, just looking at the list of members by "Join Date" order, I'm 48th on the list of existing members and I'm the first with still over 10,000 posts in the post count. Before me, Div (5,077), David W (6,034) and Swarley (5,407) are the only ones over 5,000. Ned Nederlander 90th on the list has 6,717 posts and ICTChris 94th with 6,411. Jim Pansy (101st) is the next one to have over 10,000 posts with 11,077. There are a handful of other prominent names in the next hundred or so Loki (5,624), Frank Booth (7,513), the presently banned Swampy (18,230), RiG (10,744), Thundermonkey (6,758), Ric (25,405 but presently on self imposed sabatical), Bluetooner (6,434), StewartyMac (20,495) and that takes you through the first 6 or 7 months of the sites membership. All of which tends to show that there aren't that many of the sites original stalwarts still posting regularly.

I joined on the same day as you. I think the recent post cull has shown a lot of the longer serving folk haven't posted propotionally as much after 2007- Sam's post count I'm sure was over 20,000 (certainly way over 10,000) but it's nowhere near that now. Haven't looked at BA or Ruggy's but they'll be miles down too.

I see your Point, apart from mentioning Hearts, when quite clearly we are the third biggest side in the country, 3 performances against you fermers aside.

I personally think the game is Scotland is just in so much of a lull at the moment, and 95% of the football being served up is of such a poor standard, that folks are totally turned off from it and from this threads turn in to bitching sessions because of it and any reasonable chat gets washed away

I don't think Hearts are a good side, obviously. At this moment in time I certainly wouldn't look upon them as a third force in Scottish Football. There are two teams outwith the old firm who are miles out of your reach at the moment. Infact, Hearts would probably command a sub-section of their own. ;)

I am enjoying games more at this level, but the first division forum is much better than the SPL one.

It was like that to begin with? You sure? I remember it being like that but thought it was later. Having said that it wouldn't make sense that you would split GN having had it all as one first.

From under the blurb on the forum homepage at the GN forum

This is the new consolidated General Nonsense forum for use by all P&B visitors. The previous divisional general nonsense forums are all now contained in here and all non football related chat should now be posted here.

Any non football related chat which is posted in the football forums will be moved here by the moderating team.

Div might be able to tell but I reckon the single GN forum probably came in around 2005. I thought it might have been before that as the first P&B 5s were in 2004 but the booze thread being moved after Falkirk being promoted in 2005 would suggest otherwise.

I joined on the same day as you. I think the recent post cull has shown a lot of the longer serving folk haven't posted propotionally as much after 2007- Sam's post count I'm sure was over 20,000 (certainly way over 10,000) but it's nowhere near that now. Haven't looked at BA or Ruggy's but they'll be miles down too.

Ruggy's was always false because Div artificially inflated it by thousands at one point. However yes, that's what I was trying to point out.

The recent removal of old posts from counts has shown very quickly how many of the longer serving people post very little these days. As I said, I'm the only one of the first hundred members to still have a total of over 10,000 posts but I lost 17,000 in the cull as I was at nearly 28,000 I think. Sam was a wee bit behind but not that far.

From under the blurb on the forum homepage at the GN forum

Div might be able to tell but I reckon the single GN forum probably came in around 2005. I thought it might have been before that as the first P&B 5s were in 2004 but the booze thread being moved after Falkirk being promoted in 2005 would suggest otherwise.

I don't remember any controversy over threads moving at all but then I didn't inhabit GN back then very much and almost all my posts were football related so I probably just never saw it.

I don't think Hearts are a good side, obviously. At this moment in time I certainly wouldn't look upon them as a third force in Scottish Football. There are two teams outwith the old firm who are miles out of your reach at the moment. Infact, Hearts would probably command a sub-section of their own. ;)

I am enjoying games more at this level, but the first division forum is much better than the SPL one.

I'll just pretend like you didnt say that first bit. :D

You didnt buy a season ticket or go and see us most weeks. We have been fucking brutal for 2years. At least with JJ back at the helm we might play some decent football. Ill take another 5-0 the next time we are up in Perth.

Ruggy's was always false because Div artificially inflated it by thousands at one point. However yes, that's what I was trying to point out.

The recent removal of old posts from counts has shown very quickly how many of the longer serving people post very little these days. As I said, I'm the only one of the first hundred members to still have a total of over 10,000 posts but I lost 17,000 in the cull as I was at nearly 28,000 I think. Sam was a wee bit behind but not that far.

It was only a couple of thousand he inflated it by, I always over-egged the protests so as to not look like a sad fecker. :P;)

Ya arsehile!!!!

I think I was on around 24,000 posts but I always maintained that the majority of those posts came within the first few years of this site being operational and the recent post cull obviously shows that. I was young and at school with plenty of spare time on my hands. I'm a lot older now with a full time job, studying at college as well and have virtually no spare time to sit online for prolonged periods of time anymore. This is the first time I've really sat and posted properly for months!

Probably 19. I think it was a midweek game in 2007.

Ah right, fair game then.

I was probably at that match, it wasn't a 4-0 by any chance? To think, I was jumping about enjoying a Firhill hotdog while you were being stalked but a few yards away.

Archived