Do You Remember When?

MarvMarvSuperMarv

I am 22 now, this all happened years ago so I would've been about 17 or 18 although the persistent friend requests on Bebo and Facebook have never subsided. I am not sure how old CTWD is though, he must be well into his forties. Can't be far off my Dad's age anyway.

I actually don't remember in great detail much of the early years. Like I say, I was 15 when I first joined this site and I think Radford and myself were perhaps the only Saints fans to post here. I am not sure if I was the only girl to post here but I think my 16th birthday did not go unnoticed. It was fun back in those days, I remember that much. Mostly innocent fun and good banter.

The site was of course much smaller back then. There were only about 5 forums I think (one for each division and a general nonsense one) and each club had only a handful of posters apart from St Mirren and Falkirk who maybe had a couple of dozen regulars each.

It probably was more "fun" back then and far less adversarial (except when St Sid started winding people up) but it's inevitable as a site grows, just like anything else, it becomes far more impersonal and it's harder to keep assholes out. I do think some of the site is more childish than it was back then but to be fair most of the childishness is contained in GN. A degree of that may also be that we all get older and less in tune with the minds of the youngest members.

There are some things I miss about the "good old days" but probably many more I prefer about it now. The site still has a lot going for it but it has a fluid moving population. I doubt many of the regulars who were posting in 2003 are still on here as much, though of course some are.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having gotten a few mentions in the "who do you associate" thread, I'm loath to change my username. Same with my avatar and sig, because when other well-kent posters (Muggy etc) do it, it takes me ages to work out who they are, and I tend to pay more attention to folk I know.

Such a roundabout way for an a/s/l ask. :ph34r:

It could be worse I suppose it could be Kilt. :lol:

I am sure by 22 you have realised that blokes are fucking weirdos mostly. Nice, "pwnedW I think is the internet term of him earlier btw.

You definitely get wiser as you get older. You also become more tolerant and understanding of others and I have come to terms with CTWD's deluded nature. I would probably worry about his well being if I didn't get a request on Bebo or Facebook.

The weirdest thing he ever did was attend a Partick Thistle vs St.Johnstone match a few years back and sit in the St.Johnstone end, one row and approximately six seats behind me - on his own. He tries to play it down, but when I look back, some of it was just bizarre.

The "P&B isn't as good as it used to be" line has been spouted randomly on the site almost since the first year we began.

7 years on we are still going on strong. The number of people visiting and reading the site continues to grow.

The graphs below compare visits Jan 2010 vs Jan 2009 showing a 10% increase :D

post-1-12660167771293_thumb.jpg

You definitely get wiser as you get older. You also become more tolerant and understanding of others and I have come to terms with CTWD's deluded nature. I would probably worry about his well being if I didn't get a request on Bebo or Facebook.

The weirdest thing he ever did was attend a Partick Thistle vs St.Johnstone match a few years back and sit in the St.Johnstone end, one row and approximately six seats behind me - on his own. He tries to play it down, but when I look back, some of it was just bizarre.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is some truly bizarre behaviour, if this was America there would be flyers with his face on them warning parents about predators in the area.

The site was of course much smaller back then. There were only about 5 forums I think (one for each division and a general nonsense one) and each club had only a handful of posters apart from St Mirren and Falkirk who maybe had a couple of dozen regulars each.

It probably was more "fun" back then and far less adversarial (except when St Sid started winding people up) but it's inevitable as a site grows, just like anything else, it becomes far more impersonal and it's harder to keep assholes out. I do think some of the site is more childish than it was back then but to be fair most of the childishness is contained in GN. A degree of that may also be that we all get older and less in tune with the minds of the youngest members.

There are some things I miss about the "good old days" but probably many more I prefer about it now. The site still has a lot going for it but it has a fluid moving population. I doubt many of the regulars who were posting in 2003 are still on here as much, though of course some are.

I became much less attached to the site after we got promoted. I tend not to post much at all anymore, not even about games whereas in the last few years I kept in touch with the site through Saints mainly on the first division forum. The SPL forum is utterly tedious and there's no real quality in the football content. The first division forum was full of wind up merchants but you got some really good quality match discussions in there. Kev doesn't seem to post as much anymore either.

Do you remember when I was "raith_no1"?

I don't think anyone does anymore.

I remember your avatar of the rotating UFO head.

Can anyone else remember when the SPL, 1st, 2nd and 3rd division forums all had their own e-chat and General Nonsense forums?

I became much less attached to the site after we got promoted. I tend not to post much at all anymore, not even about games whereas in the last few years I kept in touch with the site through Saints mainly on the first division forum. The SPL forum is utterly tedious and there's no real quality in the football content. The first division forum was full of wind up merchants but you got some really good quality match discussions in there. Kev doesn't seem to post as much anymore either.

You really do struggle in the SPL forum for some decent game chat. There a few good posters such The Belgian and a few of the Aberdeen boys, and even a couple of Sellick fans who can be constructive but for everyone of them you have about 10 Hibernia22's or Foreverhibs. So I can see your point.

Edited to add: The big chair, a couple of Hamilton fans, HB and Ned are all worth listening to aswell

The "P&B isn't as good as it used to be" line has been spouted randomly on the site almost since the first year we began.

7 years on we are still going on strong. The number of people visiting and reading the site continues to grow.

Most of the traffic is still Ron though.

I couldn't possibly change name given there is not one but three various failed aliases who have tried and failed to steal my brand recognition. I thank my team of lawyers and monkey scriptwriters for their support in those distresing times.

You really do struggle in the SPL forum for some decent game chat. There a few good posters such The Belgian and a few of the Aberdeen boys, and even a couple of Sellick fans who can be constructive but for everyone of them you have about 10 Hibernia22's or Foreverhibs. So I can see your point.

Edited to add: The big chair, a couple of Hamilton fans, HB and Ned are all worth listening to aswell

I have no doubt that there are still some decent posters around but I think the nature of the league itself reflects in the nature of posting on the forum. It's like there should be three sub-SPL forums. Celtic and Rangers completely seperate, then the likes of Hibs, Dundee United, Motherwell, Aberdeen etc and then the rest of us. In the first division there was rarely anything that was completely irrelevant to you. In the SPL I find most of it irrelevant. Even in threads that bear some relevance to Saints, you have to go through post after post of utter nonsense to find anything decent and my attention span has completely deserted me by that point.

Remember the 'Hamilton Boy' (or similar) guise he used to send pictures of 'his' penis via msn? :lol:

You make me sad. :(

I deliberately did not mention that because it's probably the part of the whole sorry saga that I feel most shamed about. The time he pretended to be a non-existent person of a similar age to me to try and woo me. I was at a very impressionable age and looking back now, it's never seemed more inappropriate.

Bigger isn't necessarily the same as better though.

That said, as I said above, generally I prefer the site as it is now compared to how it was 5 years ago plus. Like people who say the football was more enjoyable before the advent of live tv games, etc it's likely most people claiming that "things just ain't like they used to be" have forgotten the bad parts from years ago and just remember what they want to.

Yeah, I did think you and Kev were posting far less often but as I very rarely visit the SPL forum I wasn't sure it was the case. In your case it was fairly clear you weren't on GN as often. Kev never was there much so I was less sure about him.

Baggio doesn't post as much now. I don't think BA (Bairn Again) does either does he? Ruggy certainly doesn't. I don't think David W does though again he's disappeared off to a different division so I'm not sure of it. Joozy pretty much left altogther. Mythical Creature did too. St Sid disappeared overnight a few years ago. Dennybairn still uses the site a fair bit but since he no longer lives in the UK it's not really about football with him.

Actually, just looking at the list of members by "Join Date" order, I'm 48th on the list of existing members and I'm the first with still over 10,000 posts in the post count. Before me, Div (5,077), David W (6,034) and Swarley (5,407) are the only ones over 5,000. Ned Nederlander 90th on the list has 6,717 posts and ICTChris 94th with 6,411. Jim Pansy (101st) is the next one to have over 10,000 posts with 11,077. There are a handful of other prominent names in the next hundred or so Loki (5,624), Frank Booth (7,513), the presently banned Swampy (18,230), RiG (10,744), Thundermonkey (6,758), Ric (25,405 but presently on self imposed sabatical), Bluetooner (6,434), StewartyMac (20,495) and that takes you through the first 6 or 7 months of the sites membership. All of which tends to show that there aren't that many of the sites original stalwarts still posting regularly.

Most of the traffic is still Ron though.

I couldn't possibly change name given there is not one but three various failed aliases who have tried and failed to steal my brand recognition. I thank my team of lawyers and monkey scriptwriters for their support in those distresing times.

:lol:

Archived