Car Parts Online

McLee

Just received the news that I need to replace my clutch and have been advised to purchase the whole kit rather than just the clutch. Local parts place charging £500+ for the kit as its a 6 speed gear box, so I am doing a bit of searching online to see if I can get anything cheaper. A shop on E-Bay, with what appears an excellent reputation, have what I think I am looking for at £400.

Basically, I am asking if anyone has had any experience of buying car parts online or know of any decent sites to check out. I'll also take advice on any cheap motor parts shop or outlets in the West of Scotland too.

I drive a Ford Mondeo 03, 2.0 TD, with a bar steward of a 6 speed gear box.

If you know a mechanic get them to go Dingbro as they give great rates as they only deal with trade.

My uncle is a mechanic and it is Dingbro who are the local parts place. The uncle has said he has had others go online and get parts cheaper and bring them back into the garage to fit.

Cheers.

My uncle is a mechanic and it is Dingbro who are the local parts place. The uncle has said he has had others go online and get parts cheaper and bring them back into the garage to fit.

Cheers.

03 Mondeos don't have Duel Mass Flywheels do they? I think it was later when they started with that nonsense- 05 plates-ish because otherwise you'd need that done too....

03 Mondeos don't have Duel Mass Flywheels do they? I think it was later when they started with that nonsense- 05 plates-ish because otherwise you'd need that done too....

Its a 53 plate and it does have dual mass flywheel.

Had a search last night and came across a forum, most suggesting around the 130k miles mark clutches are needing changed and it seems Ford have had many problems with them.

I may have given off the impression that I am knowledgeable on this subject, I am not.

Might as well throw this in this thread.

My car needs a new backbox, i'd usually just go to kwik fit to get this done? Or is there a cheaper way?

My experience of Kwik Fit was a good one, had a full exhaust system fitted on a previous car and checked it out with my usual garage who said the price was reasonable.

I think they do have a reputation of being more expensive than others but then you have a bit more of a guarantee with them.

Its a 53 plate and it does have dual mass flywheel.

Had a search last night and came across a forum, most suggesting around the 130k miles mark clutches are needing changed and it seems Ford have had many problems with them.

I may have given off the impression that I am knowledgeable on this subject, I am not.

If your clutch has gone and is getting replaced-may as well get the DMF replaced as well as they are fragile as hell and probably won't take too kindly to the new clutch. Indeed the Mondeo (apparently- read this online) is good at blowing starter motors too when the DMF fails.

Duel Mass Flywheels have been a bloodly disaster in diesels they just seem so fragile.

If your clutch has gone and is getting replaced-may as well get the DMF replaced as well as they are fragile as hell and probably won't take too kindly to the new clutch. Indeed the Mondeo (apparently- read this online) is good at blowing starter motors too when the DMF fails.

Duel Mass Flywheels have been a bloodly disaster in diesels they just seem so fragile.

My starter went a few weeks back but put this down to cold weather or something else, certainly not the clutch or Dual Flywheel.

Looks like i'll just need to take the hit on this one. Bye Bye £500. Need a rear wheel bearing aswell which is costing £70 plus.

My experience of Kwik Fit was a good one, had a full exhaust system fitted on a previous car and checked it out with my usual garage who said the price was reasonable.

I think they do have a reputation of being more expensive than others but then you have a bit more of a guarantee with them.

I was at Kwik Fit the other day and they were quoting me £420 for a full exhaust system for a Peugeot 206 XSi 1.6l... Thats the dearest quote ive had so far.

Kwik fit are a good company but they are alot more expensive than ur run of the mill garage. But as u say, u might get a bit more guarentee with them.

• 1 month later...

Update on this, paid £389 for the clutch kit in local parts place, Dingbro. My uncle and mechanic managed to get a few pound off the price for me. I then had it fitted for £100, so almost £500 in total wasnt too bad.

I then had a spring go in the front with all the potholes we have in my area, that was £50 and a further £60 for a pipe to do with the turbo, the car was struggling to hit 60 mph.

All fixed now and I am glad its over.

• 4 years later...

For anyone with similar problems, you can replace your dual mass flywheel with a solid flywheel, which may make the job cheaper and solves the problem of the dual mass flywheels.

Never use EuroCar Parts for a job like this, as they have a massive history of either providing the wrong part (which you won't find out until you've got the old parts in your hand) and for providing shite parts that don't last any length of time.

For big, serious, jobs like this you'd be aswell just spending a bit extra on parts so you know nothing can go wrong with it, its only the less important jobs you should try and save your money on.

Guest The Phoenix

For big, serious, jobs like this you'd be aswell just spending a bit extra on parts so you know nothing can go wrong with it, its only the less important jobs you should try and save your money on.

TBH, I've never found repairs to cars as a source of much humour.

Archived