The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

I have a cheapy tesco slow cooker and it never seems to make tender meat, it's great for the stovies, but sucks for everything else. Dunno if it's me or the cooker that's screwing it up tho. Get better results slow cooking in the oven!

I have a cheapy tesco slow cooker and it never seems to make tender meat, it's great for the stovies, but sucks for everything else. Dunno if it's me or the cooker that's screwing it up tho. Get better results slow cooking in the oven!

Mmm doesn't sound right. If you put meat in, in the morning, by tea time on low for 6-8 hours, meat should be tender as anything!

To the slow cooker experts - when using mine I always have the issue where the sauce/gravy is runny and doesn't reduce (presumably because it's never brought to the boil). How do I get around this issue?

If the liquid is too thin, ladle some of it out into another pan and bring that to the boil and add in some cornflour to thicken up the sauce. if doing it this way, I always make it too thick as the sauce left in the slow cooker should thin it out to the preferred thickness.

That's the same one I have and I don't have any issues. Only suggestion I can think is temp and time, normally for really tender meat your looking at 8+ hours on low, if at high I would be looking around the 4 hour mark.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Next up for me; Chicken & Mushroom. 

Got some ingredients yesterday. Chicken thighs & legs, smoked bacon, chestnut mushrooms, red onions, baby potatoes, parsley, garlic, can of chicken & mushroom soup and some chicken stock cubes. 

I shall throw it all in the pot & serve with some brown rice or egg noodles. 

Lurvvvly jubbbly!

Was at my mates house last night and at around 2am decided we were fucking starving so made the two-hour trip to ASDA and back to buy a pork loin to shove in the slow cooker. Eight hours of beauty sleep later and it was probably the best breakfast I've ever had. I need a slow cooker. I can't think of anything better than being able to cook whilst sleeping.

Was at my mates house last night and at around 2am decided we were fucking starving so made the two-hour trip to ASDA and back to buy a pork loin to shove in the slow cooker. Eight hours of beauty sleep later and it was probably the best breakfast I've ever had. I need a slow cooker. I can't think of anything better than being able to cook whilst sleeping.

If I have done my sums correctly, I do beleive it was lunch that you had.

Beef curry just gone in. Shall report back later with recipe if good.

This was amazing.

750g beef

400g can of chopped tomatoes

2/3 garlic cloves chopped

1cm of fresh ginger chopped

250ml of beef stock

Curry powder - tbsp or more dependant on taste

Couple of onions

Brown the beef in a pa with a tbsp of olive oil. Set beef aside and reserve the juice. Throw the garlic and ginger in the same pan as the beef was cooked in for a couple of minutes. Then lob in the curry powder and tinned tomatoes and the reserved juice, stir up for a few minutes to combine it.

Dice/slice/chop the onion, however you like your onion done. Line the bottom of the slow cooker with that, then put the meat in, then pour over the pan of sauce and the stock. Give it a stir and lob it on for 7-8 hours on low. Delicious!

This was amazing.

750g beef

400g can of chopped tomatoes

2/3 garlic cloves chopped

1cm of fresh ginger chopped

250ml of beef stock

Curry powder - tbsp or more dependant on taste

Couple of onions

Brown the beef in a pa with a tbsp of olive oil. Set beef aside and reserve the juice. Throw the garlic and ginger in the same pan as the beef was cooked in for a couple of minutes. Then lob in the curry powder and tinned tomatoes and the reserved juice, stir up for a few minutes to combine it.

Dice/slice/chop the onion, however you like your onion done. Line the bottom of the slow cooker with that, then put the meat in, then pour over the pan of sauce and the stock. Give it a stir and lob it on for 7-8 hours on low. Delicious!

Saw this on bus, jumped off a stop early to buy the beef at supermarket. Couldn't find fresh ginger so will need to use ground. Will report back with independent verification of your "amazing" claim tomorrow night.

Seemed good but I was quite drunk when I got in so will look forward to the reheated version tomorrow.

Going to try soup for the first time. Lentil and bacon soup overnight for lunch tomorrow. Tried lentil soup years ago in a pot and it didn't really work but think the slow cooker is much better for dissolving the lentil.

This looks straightforward enough: http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-soup-with-ham-and-bacon-crock-pot-slow-cooker-354148

Got a goulash type thing on the go.

Couple of carrots, large onion, celery stick, green pepper all chopped. Throw it in a pan with a little oil and gently fry. Coat some stewing beef in seasoned flour and add to the pan and brown off. Add some paprika, tomato puree, mixed herbs, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes. Add 200ml of beef stock and same amount of red wine, and half a tin of chopped tomatoes, bring to simmer, then throw in the slow cooker for 6 ish hours on low.

I shall report back.

Edited by Rugster

Did my first ever batch of tattie and leek soup in the slow cooker. mmm! stew is one of my favourite things to cook in it though. nothing's better when you pick a piece up and it falls right off the fork.