38 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Brazil is on the cusp of banning Twitter. Thread explaining why.

I'm not taking on that lady in an argument. :lol:

On 27/08/2024 at 07:55, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What a f**king species we are.

It's remarkable what people will invent purely to make them feel superior to others.

Frankly, it's the kind of thing that a Stirling Albion fan would do  :D

2 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

“No moulded studs today lads!”.

I was at Highfield Road a couple of times during that season and don't remember it being anything like that bad - not sure if the pitch got dramatically worse as the season went on, or it just wasn't that uncommon to see games played in those conditions.

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

IMG_4465.jpeg

We got a rescue cat when I was a kid (the one my account's named after), and she'd had a flea infestation so bad that they'd had to shave her entire back end. Hairy animals with big patches missing are just horrifying, presumably because it trips something in the brain that says, "illness, disease, RUN!"

Screenshot_20240830_161840_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c0a106882bc8543c25b37ee8b62ddb25.jpg

I see it as a simple battle between state power - which is to some extent collective, given Brazil's democracy - versus the private power of the world's wealthiest man and his company. To me this is Brazil exercising its national sovereignty.

GKz3F5cWMAA0SFv.jpg_large(1).thumb.jpg.8f6bf9e8e68d8ac11f6878eb1bc0b56e.jpg

(STF is Brazil's supreme court).

Edited by Freedom Farter

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/aug/30/elon-musk-x-could-face-ban-in-brazil-after-failure-to-appoint-legal-representative

The ban is on. And for those who think they'll just use a VPN, like the girl in the post above.

Justice Moraes also summoned Apple and Google to “implement technological barriers to prevent the use of the X app by users of the iOS and Android systems” and to block the use of VPN applications.

The decision imposes a daily fine of R$50,000 (£6,800) on individuals and companies that attempt to continue using X via VPN.

Nice to see that it is actually possible for governments to slap down billionaires and multinational corporations when it suits.

Hopefully a trend that catches on, but I won't be holding my breath or anything. Musk is just particularly bull-headed and frankly this will suit the narrative of terrible oppression he's been trying to convince himself of.

On 22/07/2024 at 11:00, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Keith starts and ends with the Strathisla Bakery.

That bakery is f**king bogging, cheap as shit but just salty, stodgy shite. Boy I work with was raving about it, what a waste of money, didn't even give it to the mutt, salty, fatty pish

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

7 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

A while back, there were a few folk suggesting that Musk was going to buy Twitter purely to kill it because he was butthurt.

I've no doubt he is genuinely a fash eugenicist weirdo who considers himself ubermensch and would like to fly to Mars and leave the rest of us to die, but is that genuinely what's going on here? A loonball so wealthy that he can tank part of his own fortune just to stop people laughing at him?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

A while back, there were a few folk suggesting that Musk was going to buy Twitter purely to kill it because he was butthurt.

I've no doubt he is genuinely a fash eugenicist weirdo who considers himself ubermensch and would like to fly to Mars and leave the rest of us to die, but is that genuinely what's going on here? A loonball so wealthy that he can tank part of his own fortune just to stop people laughing at him?

I would give more credence to that theory if it weren't for the fact he didn't mean to buy Twitter. He threw out a share price offer not appreciating that it was legally binding, because he's arrogant and careless, and was tied to a price far higher than the company was worth. He tried hard to get out of it and only when forced to go through with the purchase did he start pretending he meant it all along.

He's always had a love-hate relationship with Twitter because he desperately wants to be an alpha but we all know he's a reply guy. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I would give more credence to that theory if it weren't for the fact he didn't mean to buy Twitter. He threw out a share price offer not appreciating that it was legally binding, because he's arrogant and careless, and was tied to a price far higher than the company was worth. He tried hard to get out of it and only when forced to go through with the purchase did he start pretending he meant it all along.

He's always had a love-hate relationship with Twitter because he desperately wants to be an alpha but we all know he's a reply guy. 

It's incredible to believe there was a time when his popular image was basically Tony Stark. It wasn't even very long ago.

He seems to have spent the last decade actively trying to out himself to the world as a complete moron.