Unpopular opinions.

I never get this type of comment - people of the generation who watched Only Fools and Horses first time around (including me) can also choose what to watch whenever they want now.  This doesn't make the programme any more or less funny than it was when we first watched it.  Time is rarely kind to TV shows. 
Yes but people who are young now have grown up in a world of on demand media and are more used to it than older people who maybe grew up in a world with very few tv channels, less direct choice etc.

Its just my opinion but I can picture a young generation putting on something like OFaH and just being non plussed by. Totally different reaction to someone who maybe grew up in the 80s and watched every episode for lack of other things to do.

Blackadder is a show I have fond memories of watching as a child but its almost embarrassing how low budget and reliant on dialogue and wordplay. The first series is also shockingly low quality in comparison to the rest.

Just to put things in context OfaH got viewing figures of 16 million on average at its peak. Love island (which all the youngsters lap up) gets around 3mil, its 1 statistic but it shows what 30 years can do to something as prominent as viewing figures.

Kids these days just have far nore to choose from rather than defaulting to sitting round the tv.

Yes but people who are young now have grown up in a world of on demand media and are more used to it than older people who maybe grew up in a world with very few tv channels, less direct choice etc.

Its just my opinion but I can picture a young generation putting on something like OFaH and just being non plussed by. Totally different reaction to someone who maybe grew up in the 80s and watched every episode for lack of other things to do.

Blackadder is a show I have fond memories of watching as a child but its almost embarrassing how low budget and reliant on dialogue and wordplay. The first series is also shockingly low quality in comparison to the rest.
I'll give you that the first series was ropey but the wordplay and delivery of the material are part of what makes Blackadder so brilliant.

I'll give you that the first series was ropey but the wordplay and delivery of the material are part of what makes Blackadder so brilliant.

Exactly. Surely that’s the entire point. Plus series 1 was shite. Ben Elton wasn’t on board by then and the dynamic was completely wrong. Blackadder was the idiot and Baldrick was the smart one. After that though, genius.

4 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

but the wordplay and delivery of the material are part of what makes Blackadder so brilliant.

Indeed. I'm no fan of series one but from then on it was (and still is) excellent IMO. Far cleverer than a lot of the shite masquerading as 'comedy' these days :lol: 

Totally different reaction to someone who maybe grew up in the 80s and watched every episode for lack of other things to do. *

Blackadder is a show I have fond memories of watching as a child but its almost embarrassing how low budget and reliant on dialogue and wordplay**. The first series is also shockingly low quality in comparison to the rest.

* Are you really saying you reckon folk watched it but never enjoyed it? It was the 80's, there would have been at least 3 other channels as well as books!

We never had Sky TV growing up and it was before Freeview. We never even had Channel 5. But I can tell you I never sat and watched something I never liked. If there was nothing on I'd go outside and kick a ball or put a video on.

** Dialogue is what makes a sitcom. I'm not adverse to some physical comedy eg. Laurel and Hardy. But nowadays if a show is relying on people falling over to get laughs it's not great - see Mrs Brown's Boys or Miranda.

Just to put things in context OfaH got viewing figures of 16 million on average at its peak. Love island (which all the youngsters lap up) gets around 3mil, its 1 statistic but it shows what 30 years can do to something as prominent as viewing figures.

Kids these days just have far nore to choose from rather than defaulting to sitting round the tv.

All those stats prove is that we know there are at least 3M complete morons in this nation.

All those stats prove is that we know there are at least 3M complete morons in this nation.

I'm sure people born in the 40s were saying this about Only Fools in 198X

It's similar with music is it not?? 

To have a no1 back then you were needing to sell £1,000,000 + singles. 

These days I think 40 or maybe 50 will do it. 

It's similar with music is it not?? 
To have a no1 back then you were needing to sell £1,000,000 + singles. 
These days I think 40 or maybe 50 will do it. 
Don't get me started on the shite that passes for music [emoji38]