Unpopular opinions.

48 minutes ago, throbber said:

Because he’s being made out to be some sort of local hero who bought the club out of the goodness of his heart when the reality is that he was another foreign billionaire jumping on the Premiership gravy train for his own self interests and ended up hitting the jackpot.

ETA - Hit the jackpot when Leicester won the Premiership, his luck eventually run out on Saturday.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I’m not calling out hypocrisy and you are just taking everything out of context. The guy has still been made out to be a saint because he has died and all other victims in the accident have been completely disregarded.
For all I am not really interested in getting into this particular debate, I found it a bit odd having a minutes silence for this at a Falkirk Ross County match.

Would there be minutes silences all over England if Falkirks chairman was killed on the M9 after game..... Doubt it.

For all I am not really interested in getting into this particular debate, I found it a bit odd having a minutes silence for this at a Falkirk Ross County match.

Would there be minutes silences all over England if Falkirks chairman was killed on the M9 after game..... Doubt it.

Falkirk didn’t “capture the hearts of the nation” by unexpectedly winning the “toughest league in the world” recently though. Just chucked fake eye balls at folk.
Rightly or wrongly, I think what Leicester achieved a few years back has hyped up what always would/should have been considered a real tragedy.

Falkirk didn’t “capture the hearts of the nation” by unexpectedly winning the “toughest league in the world” recently though. Just chucked fake eye balls at folk.
Rightly or wrongly, I think what Leicester achieved a few years back has hyped up what always would/should have been considered a real tragedy.
Of course its a tragedy. Horrible thing to hapoen to anyone. I think the point throbber is using a sledgehammer to make is just about the grief merchantry of football today.

I’m not calling out hypocrisy and you are just taking everything out of context. The guy has still been made out to be a saint because he has died and all other victims in the accident have been completely disregarded.

I’m pretty sure one of the papers had a full page headline praising the pilot for his actions in avoiding crashing into groups of nearby fans.

Of course its a tragedy. Horrible thing to hapoen to anyone. I think the point throbber is using a sledgehammer to make is just about the grief merchantry of football today.

And it’s a fair point I think. Leicester’s recent success has heightened that as well I think, not just any football team chairman but the chairman and fearless leader of the plucky Leicester who defied the odds etc etc.
We all have to do outdo each other and make it about ourselves with the “I’m not fan of x but...” anyway, think I’m off on a different tangent now!

1 hour ago, throbber said:

"Out of context" :lol:

You quoted a post talking about an OTT reaction to his death by saying "aye, they hated him in 2017 too".  What sort of context are we supposed to take from that?

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Because he’s being made out to be some sort of local hero who bought the club out of the goodness of his heart when the reality is that he was another foreign billionaire jumping on the Premiership gravy train for his own self interests and ended up hitting the jackpot.

ETA - Hit the jackpot when Leicester won the Premiership, his luck eventually run out on Saturday.

That wee c**t Bradley Lowery can f**k off as well imo.

Similar thoughts myself. I was late in to the game last night but saw them standing for the silence. I asked what it was for as I didn't think it could really be for a Leicester City owner. I highly doubt we'd do it if any other owner died so I just presumed it was because it was such a shocking way in which he went.

It comes across horribly but it's really not my intention.

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Similar thoughts myself. I was late in to the game last night but saw them standing for the silence. I asked what it was for as I didn't think it could really be for a Leicester City owner. I highly doubt we'd do it if any other owner died so I just presumed it was because it was such a shocking way in which he went.

It comes across horribly but it's really not my intention.

No I know your intention exactly. Same as mine. My puzzlement at having a minutes silence doesnt in any way mean I am unsympathetic. See that lassie that did the cancer podcast who died recently, I was about in tears reading about her. No minutes silence though....

Football matches aren't the place for minutes silences anyway, unless it directly involves the home club (i.e.  the death of someone who was involved with that club).

Folk don't care just because they don't stand in silence for 60 seconds before a poorly attended game of football (although I don't care about the vast majority of things silences are for and I'm sure I won't be alone).

Edited by DA Baracus

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

Here’s one:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/29/football/leicester-city-hero-pilot-intl/index.html

So he is a hero because he steered the helicopter away from members of the public? I take it other helicopter pilots in the same situation would have just shrugged their shoulders, put their feet up and let the helicopter go down in which ever way it was already headed, safe in the knowledge that they would be dead anyway?

Have seen the video. Didn't appear to be a lot of steering involved.

People football related die all the time, supporters, players, managers, chairmen etc. Unless it’s specifically related to that club or a genuine high achiever or “legend” I don’t think it should be a nationwide movement for minutes silence?
Let the club affected, or in the “legend” category the wider footballing world take appropriate steps, but this is getting ridiculous. It’s sad what happened, but I doubt Leicester will be holding a minutes silence for a Montrose chairman who dies tragically & has served the club for 30 odd years.

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

Here’s one:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/29/football/leicester-city-hero-pilot-intl/index.html

So he is a hero because he steered the helicopter away from members of the public? I take it other helicopter pilots in the same situation would have just shrugged their shoulders, put their feet up and let the helicopter go down in which ever way it was already headed, safe in the knowledge that they would be dead anyway?

First you were complaining that the other victims weren't being remembered and now you're complaining that one of the other victims has been remembered as a hero.  Have you hit your head today, throbber?