Minecraft!

Ric

Ace!

Official site: http://www.minecraft.net/

Not been on this section of the forum for ages, so no idea if this little gem has been mentioned but it's brilliantly simple and addictive. Like lego mixed with Beyond the Forbidden Forest (bet you are all too young to remember that!) where you control the landscape around you while also needing to fight off the zombies and monsters that appear at night.

The basic premise falls into two categories, survival and creative - and these can either be in single player or multiplayer which is not quite a MMORPG at present but will certainly evolve into one.

Survival is pretty simple. At night and in caves where there is no light, bad things lurk. They will attack you and kill you. You either build yourself a shelter and cower until the night is over or go out and kick some zombie ass. The problem with the latter is that you don't start with anything other than your bare hands. Which leads onto creating stuff.

This is the beauty of Minecraft. It's a simple pyramid of complexity (not unlike that you would find for things like Civalization). As I said you only have your bare hands to begin with, which allows you to dig earth, gravel, sand and wood. Wood is the most important to begin with, as you need to make wooden pick axes in order to break stone and find minerals (coal, ore, diamonds and gold). This is where the hierarchy comes in, in order to make a wooden pick axe you need to do this...

1 wooden block -> 4 planks -> 8 sticks. In order to make an axe from that you need two sticks for the handle and 3 planks for the blade. Once you get that axe you can start mining away stone which you can use in place of the wood for the blade as each weapon or tool you use has a limited usage. The stronger the material used the longer it lasts. Follow this link and you'll see how varied the crafting can get.

Oh, btw, did I tell you that the whole thing looks like it's in a 3D Mario Brothers platform game with everything in square blocks. It looks wonderfully retro which might put you off to start with but actually go on to add huge amounts of character to the game.

Here is a simple video of how to survive your first night on minecraft, I would have done it a different way but that's the beauty of the game; you have so much flexibility.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damnit! I'm determined to get at least one person interested in this...

The video above shows what they claim to be a 1:1 ratio of the Starship Enterprise made out of stone blocks mined in Minecraft. It's an extreme case but shows you how much control you have over your environment. That world would have started out like a normal one with water, grass, trees, etc and has been carved away to create this.

Right, I'll have to pull out the big guns...

This is genuinely an ALU created in minecraft. Seriously. Taken up in scale and run through "redstone" (a mineral you can mine for which acts like a gunpowder trail) to simulate the electricity. With registers and a 16 bit (16 bit ffs!) wide bus.

It is indeed the mutt's nuts. Some of the creations made are both really clever but hellishly time consuming. I've been playing the game a total of about 20 hours now and got nothing much more than a rudimentary house and a f**k off sized cave. To build things large things must take an age in single player.

been playing the normal one and now wana play the alpha, dont mind the tenner. however its all in finnish and i also dont have a paypal account? any help? even if its "just download it illegally"

You can download the alpha from the website [direct link], when logging on (edit:when downloaded and run), just cancel and select to play offline. The Single Player version of that has both creative and survival modes rolled into one.

The server was down the other weekend so they opened up online to everyone and I went on, but I don't think it had the zombies at night. I didn't play it for long to be honest as the offline/single player is fun enough.

I'm strangely intrigued. Is this sicky material?

It's like Marmite. You either love it or hate it. Addictive bugger though.

• 4 months later...

I downloaded this this morning after a mate of mine recommended it to be last night.

It's brilliant. I've built myself a wee cave with three rooms, it's like a wee hoose :D

• 2 weeks later...

This game is unbelievable. For something so simple and basic, it's so much fun.

The Swedish guy that made it is a genius aswell.

Had it for a few months now and it's still so much fun but very time consuming.

What's everyone made? I'm needing ideas... :(

I found a massive as f**k cave and knocked out the roof and replaced it with glass. Looks fucking awesome. Also make a massive railway that covers most of the areas I've explored so far.

Archived