Minecraft!

Ric

Slight update, I have installed Optifine and it does improve the performance, it was also very easy to do using MagicLauncher, previously I had tried to manually do it. There are instructions to be found here... http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-125-optifine-hd-a6-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-more/

(scroll down past the download options, the the "Installation" section).

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got the Optifine mod, the Unbelievable Textures and the SPhax Texture Pack running on a fresh install of MC and while it does look bloody lovely it runs like an utter dog. Now it's fair to say my laptop is not the best and certainly a lot less powerful than a standard gaming rig so it's not that surprising. The one thing I would say though is that it looks bloody gorgeous, it's just a shame it runs at about 10 FPS and that's using all my tricks to get it to go as fast as I can.

So for me, just now, I will remove the shaders as I think that's what is slowing it down as on it's own with the Optifine mod it was running fine.

* bump *

If you played Minecraft before, when was the last time you booted it up? Some of the mods and texture packs available for it are excellent and the core game itself is coming on very nicely indeed with version 1.2.5 (the one I am on just now) a world away (no pun intended) from just a year ago. For those who haven't played it, the answer is why not? You are missing out on something pretty damned cool.

One reason I'm bumping this thread to highlight two things; a mod and a texture.

The texture I've been using recently is BDPurecraft SPhax, which has different levels of definition but can go up to 512x512 (for those unsure what I am talking about, the higher the number the better the resolution) however even the basic 64x resolution textures look bloody lovely. The look is totally cartoony and add a really nice feel to the world as the default Minecraft texture while nice and retro gets a little bit dull after a while.

Link: http://bdcraft.net/

You can see that this texture pack and especially in conjunction with the shaders mod (although that is not necessary for the textures to work - it looks great on it's own) it can look pretty bloody awesome as this video testifies...

The mod I'd like to highlight is the rather amazing TFCraft which takes the basic world of Minecraft and adds a level of complexity that is quite simply incredible in comparison. In the vanilla form, Minecraft wood is just wood, there are a couple of different types but in essence they have the same properties and can be crafted in the same way. TBCraft takes that and changes with adding about 10 different species of wood, all with their own different properties such as how long they will burn, how difficult they are to chop down and the like. The same goes for things like stones and ores. Previously you just had stone, earth, shale, sand and the different ores like coal, gold, diamond and iron. This one again has been expanded massively to about 20 different ones and once more each different ore has it's own property and utilisation. Now along with expanding the materials within the world, TBCraft also adds a level of realism to the game. A simple example would be getting sticks (which are used as handles for objects). Previously in Minecraft you would get some wood, create some planks then from those planks make sticks. That doesn't really make sense as sticks in themselves are a more basic item than a plank. In TBCraft when you need to chop away at the foliage to get your sticks, certainly a more realistic situation. That is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of realism though. The creation of fires and cooking food has been changed to be more realistic, creating things like charcoal (needed for forges to make metals from ore) is also no longer as simple as finding some coal in the ground. No, you now how to make charcoal in the way early man did, you let wood burn for a long time in a closed environment. I could go on but the following video gives a far better demonstration as to what the changes are. For those who haven't seen a mod demonstration video before the guy showing it is using creative mode so can call up all sorts of things at the touch of a button, most people play survival (certainly the most enjoyable version of the game) where you don't have an infinite supply of things at the click of a button.

That looks/sounds fantastic!

If the game keeps progressing at the rate it is, its going to be utterly phenomenal in another few years.

• 1 month later...

Bought this last week because I was bored of FM. It's amazing. I've only built a 3 story house - with lava running through the glass walls of course, a sugar cane pyramid farm (to to get an enchantment table), a chicken farm with one chicken in it and a mine shaft 5 minutes from my house. I'm going to connect them via a sky railway next once I get more gold for booster rails.

Any ideas on how I can get Cows/Pigs/Sheep to go in my farm?

1339065142[/url]' post='6310176']

Bought this last week because I was bored of FM. It's amazing. I've only built a 3 story house - with lava running through the glass walls of course, a sugar cane pyramid farm (to to get an enchantment table), a chicken farm with one chicken in it and a mine shaft 5 minutes from my house. I'm going to connect them via a sky railway next once I get more gold for booster rails.

If you've got wheat in your hand, farm animals follow you.

I'm also been getting bored of FM, and have been playing the outdated free online version and have to say it's quite addictive. Also seen many videos about the pay for version and it does look very good, but I'm not sure I have the creativity for it

As said, if you have wheat in your hand they should (and it's not always the case) follow you. Be sure to have a fenced area with a gate to heard them into though. Just in case you aren't sure, once you have a collection of whatever animals you are going to be farming, you need to feed them wheat and they will pair up. I tend to keep 10 or 12 cattle, pigs and sheep in separate pens, maybe 10 squares in length/breadth, and as I feed the cattle and pigs I cull them to keep a stable amount. You don't need to kill sheep as you can craft shears. I know a lot of people use wool (and dyes) for crafting houses but I only use the sheep for beds which imo are essential to save you having to f**k about at night.

Do you lot usually just play on single player? I've tried multi player a few times but some of the servers are pretty tetchy about what you can do etc. Not really found a good one I like yet.

I don't play MP for two main reasons. One it's not as much fun as survival mode, and two I don't have an official copy so can't join standard servers.

Going to buy it later tonight, any hints and tips for a new starter?

If you are playing survival mode, and you should be as it's clearly the most fun, then when it gets dark; go and hide. Although there are tons of guides out there..

Don't worry about patches, mods and skins when you start, just get the feel of the game to begin with.

If you've got wheat in your hand, farm animals follow you.

Cheers.

As said, if you have wheat in your hand they should (and it's not always the case) follow you. Be sure to have a fenced area with a gate to heard them into though. Just in case you aren't sure, once you have a collection of whatever animals you are going to be farming, you need to feed them wheat and they will pair up. I tend to keep 10 or 12 cattle, pigs and sheep in separate pens, maybe 10 squares in length/breadth, and as I feed the cattle and pigs I cull them to keep a stable amount. You don't need to kill sheep as you can craft shears. I know a lot of people use wool (and dyes) for crafting houses but I only use the sheep for beds which imo are essential to save you having to f**k about at night.

Got my pens all mapped out and ready, just need animals. I have a tonne of Lapis Lazuli so will be making my next house blue!

Going to buy it later tonight, any hints and tips for a new starter?

Get a house and a bed ASAP. Never mine the block directly below you, you will fall a long way and land in a lava pit. Well, I did. Twice.

Thanks for the advice guys, everything was going well until a creeper snuck up behind me while I was smelting and blew my house apart :(

What did you make your house out of? Needs to be stone and at least 2 blocks high with a stone floor, and if you can sort it out some torches to keep anything from spawning close. The trick with night time is to find sheep as 3 wool blocks and 3 planks will make a bed. That saves you needing to do anything at night until you are properly tooled up.

This should be useful when it comes to crafting.. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Once I have a bed I rarely go out at night unless it's to get skeletons. They drop bones which when put on a crafting table will make bonemeal which when dropped on anything that grows will immediately grow them to full (trees, wheat, etc). Bloody useful when you need food or wood.

Anyone encountered a tall black creature with long skinny arms and legs holding a block? Shat myself when it randomly appeared infront of me

Yeh, they are fine unless you meet them underground.

What did you make your house out of? Needs to be stone and at least 2 blocks high with a stone floor, and if you can sort it out some torches to keep anything from spawning close. The trick with night time is to find sheep as 3 wool blocks and 3 planks will make a bed. That saves you needing to do anything at night until you are properly tooled up.

I made it out of wood at first before I had the tools to get stone.

Started again and I'm doing quite well, still got a wood house but a brick house is under construction. Have a bed, torch, door, crafting table, furnace and double chest.

Doing fine for food as I've crafted a fishing rod and my house is built next to a river

Doing fine for food as I've crafted a fishing rod and my house is built next to a river

Never bothered with a fishing rod to be honest, don't know why. Normally when you start there are pigs or cows about and I tend to herd them into a pen at the start then get a wheat field growing, with a chest near both allowing me to build up a stock of beef/pork.

Never bothered with a fishing rod to be honest, don't know why. Normally when you start there are pigs or cows about and I tend to herd them into a pen at the start then get a wheat field growing, with a chest near both allowing me to build up a stock of beef/pork.

I had to out of necessity, as the area I'm in is filled with loads of sheep and nothing else. Have to travel far to find pigs, and yet to see any cows

I had to out of necessity, as the area I'm in is filled with loads of sheep and nothing else. Have to travel far to find pigs, and yet to see any cows

The nice thing about a bed is that it will change where you respawn should you die (unless you are playing hardcore in which case you can only die once). So finding sheep first off is a great start as it allows you to make lots of beds, then you can start travelling around until you find a more suitable base from which to do some decent development (mining, farming, etc).

Archived