E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Nothing too fancy. Audio only CDs for Djing. The most important thing is text info on each track so I can see what tunes I'm selecting. An absolute pain if I don't get any info on the screen of my CDJs which the Windows burner doesn't supply.
I've just finished setting up my CDJ 1000's with timecode CD's. It would save you burning your tracks onto CD all the time.

I used two Behringer UFO 202's (connected in between each of the CDJ's and the mixer) to control the tracks using Mixxx.

They were only £23 each and the Serato timecode WAV is a free download.

Well impressed, going to do the same with my 1210's and timecode vinyl soon too.

On 2/22/2018 at 20:02, Kennboy1978 said:

I've just finished setting up my CDJ 1000's with timecode CD's. It would save you burning your tracks onto CD all the time.

I used two Behringer UFO 202's (connected in between each of the CDJ's and the mixer) to control the tracks using Mixxx.

They were only £23 each and the Serato timecode WAV is a free download.

Well impressed, going to do the same with my 1210's and timecode vinyl soon too.

Iv'e not upgraded my CD Players in many a long year. Would you suggest getting the ones with no CD Player at all? For example: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/product/player/xdj-700/black/overview/

Iv'e not upgraded my CD Players in many a long year. Would you suggest getting the ones with no CD Player at all? For example: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/product/player/xdj-700/black/overview/
If you want to splash the cash then yes, go for the upgrade.

If you're happy with your CDJ's for just under £50 you could turn them into midi controllers (for the pitch control on the tracks anyway)

I prefer the feel of vinyl and find it more fun mixing with that. Thought I'd try with the CDJ's first before I bought the control vinyls.

Now I'm looking at Pideck, basically the same setup as I've got but using a Raspberry Pi instead of a PC.

Wife thinks I've hit a mid life crisis. She's probably right, but by f**k I am loving it.

30 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

If you want to splash the cash then yes, go for the upgrade.

If you're happy with your CDJ's for just under £50 you could turn them into midi controllers (for the pitch control on the tracks anyway)

I prefer the feel of vinyl and find it more fun mixing with that. Thought I'd try with the CDJ's first before I bought the control vinyls.

Now I'm looking at Pideck, basically the same setup as I've got but using a Raspberry Pi instead of a PC.

Wife thinks I've hit a mid life crisis. She's probably right, but by f**k I am loving it.

She's right.

2 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:
4 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:
She's right.

So I'm told everyday.

I'm there too. Upgraded the mixer and have been holding off the rest of the decks. Sometime this year I'll be moving on to the CD players. Speakers and amp already done. My living room is a 4/4 tune Mecca. Not sure if my neighbours are as happy with it as me.

I'm there too. Upgraded the mixer and have been holding off the rest of the decks. Sometime this year I'll be moving on to the CD players. Speakers and amp already done. My living room is a 4/4 tune Mecca. Not sure if my neighbours are as happy with it as me.
Found two 1210's, two 1000 mk3's and a DJM 600 - Fucking snowballed from there. Fitted two new tonearms and replaced the phono leads on the 1210's, plus new carts and needles. Replaced the tact switches for the play/cue buttons on the 1000's too.

I don't want to know how much I've spent but I loved doing it and saved a few bob doing it myself. I've also got a good idea of what's happening beneath the platter.

I inherited my grandpa's old setup when he passed away, which included an early Linn Sondek LP12.

He'd be turning in his grave with some of the plastic I've tested it with.

2 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Found two 1210's, two 1000 mk3's and a DJM 600 - Fucking snowballed from there. Fitted two new tonearms and replaced the phono leads on the 1210's, plus new carts and needles. Replaced the tact switches for the play/cue buttons on the 1000's too.

I don't want to know how much I've spent but I loved doing it and saved a few bob doing it myself. I've also got a good idea of what's happening beneath the platter.

I inherited my grandpa's old setup when he passed away, which included an early Linn Sondek LP12.

He'd be turning in his grave with some of the plastic I've tested it with.

:lol: My 'back' speakers are Linn Keildh's. My Dad was going to chuck them out. Dick. One thing's for sure, my flat is awesome for a party.

1 minute ago, Kennboy1978 said:
6 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:
emoji38.png My 'back' speakers are Linn Keildh's. My Dad was going to chuck them out. Dick. One thing's for sure, my flat is awesome for a party.

Chuck them out ! Fucking hell. I'd use them as book ends before I resorted to that.

No joke. They were taking up too much space apparently. I had to rescue them. They sat in my flat bookending the couch unused for about 4 years before I worked out that the previous owners had wired up the place under the floorboards. Now I've a full room sound system.

No joke. They were taking up too much space apparently. I had to rescue them. They sat in my flat bookending the couch unused for about 4 years before I worked out that the previous owners had wired up the place under the floorboards. Now I've a full room sound system.
Magic !

• 2 weeks later...

Have a problem listening to Podcasts.

No problem downloading or playing, but the Podcast plays slightly faster than it should. Similar, but not quite as excessive,  to playing a 33rpm album at 45rpm. 

Spoken word is still „listenable“ although it gets a bit Pinky & Perky, any music included is nonsence.

Any ideas?

Not just BBC stuff like Sportsound or Off the Ball, but also from other sources like 4 Fingered Discount. 

Edit to add, iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Playing music with the music app  is also OK  

Edited by German Jag

Check that you haven’t changed the speed setting. If you’re using Apple’s own podcast player, there is a playback speed control in the bottom left corner. In the picture below, it’s the “1x” meaning normal speed. Tapping it cycles it through 1.5x, 2x, 0.5x and back to 1x. BBE0C66C-9062-4B24-96BC-1BD45B825502.jpeg.b8d37222978030614589d118fa5f4f0a.jpeg

My current router is a BT Home Hub 3 which is a few years old now and is 802.11n on 2.4GHz only. On a good day I can get 5.5 MB which can fall to below 1MB requiring an annoying reset. I'm thinking a dual band HH4 or HH5 on the 5GHz band would help me get a more reliable service but not sure how to tell if my 3 year old laptop would be capable of connecting to this band? Any ideas would be appreciated.

My contract is up for renewal next month and i'm hoping this would give me leverage for a free router upgrade. 

My current router is a BT Home Hub 3 which is a few years old now and is 802.11n on 2.4GHz only. On a good day I can get 5.5 MB which can fall to below 1MB requiring an annoying reset. I'm thinking a dual band HH4 or HH5 on the 5GHz band would help me get a more reliable service but not sure how to tell if my 3 year old laptop would be capable of connecting to this band? Any ideas would be appreciated.
My contract is up for renewal next month and i'm hoping this would give me leverage for a free router upgrade. 

The best bet would be either to Google your WiFi chip or use the command line to list the properties of your chip.

https://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=17341

The best bet would be either to Google your WiFi chip or use the command line to list the properties of your chip.

https://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=17341
Cheers for that. I've done both and it's 802.11bgn. Had a trawl through Google and don't see any confirmation of being dual band so as the link says I'll just need to try it and see. Assuming I can get a router upgrade from the robbing b*****ds.

On 12.3.2018 at 22:25, Funky Nosejob said:

Check that you haven’t changed the speed setting. If you’re using Apple’s own podcast player, there is a playback speed control in the bottom left corner. In the picture below, it’s the “1x” meaning normal speed. Tapping it cycles it through 1.5x, 2x, 0.5x and back to 1x. BBE0C66C-9062-4B24-96BC-1BD45B825502.jpeg.b8d37222978030614589d118fa5f4f0a.jpeg

Many thanks, problem resolved.

• 3 weeks later...

Need a new laptop as I’m going to do some post grad distance learning modules and my old Dell died a year or two ago. What am I looking at paying for something not too expensive but reliable. Considering my age, (early 30’s) I’m shite with technology. Was thinking the £3-400 mark. As it’ll probably get used for a year or two then thrown in a cupboard, the cheaper the better. It’ll literally be used for course work and that’s about it I think. Although I am looking at getting a decent camera to take hiking so probably use it for some photography programmes etc

Recommendations of manufacturer, model etc

Also, where would I get Microsoft office on the cheap.

20 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Need a new laptop as I’m going to do some post grad distance learning modules and my old Dell died a year or two ago. What am I looking at paying for something not too expensive but reliable. Considering my age, (early 30’s) I’m shite with technology. Was thinking the £3-400 mark. As it’ll probably get used for a year or two then thrown in a cupboard, the cheaper the better. It’ll literally be used for course work and that’s about it I think. Although I am looking at getting a decent camera to take hiking so probably use it for some photography programmes etc

Recommendations of manufacturer, model etc

Also, where would I get Microsoft office on the cheap.

Just to add to my suggestions on the Quick Question thread, if you're looking to use it for photographic editing I'd go for the more expensive one if you can afford it, it can be pretty demanding on processing speed.

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just to add to my suggestions on the Quick Question thread, if you're looking to use it for photographic editing I'd go for the more expensive one if you can afford it, it can be pretty demanding on processing speed.

The money isn’t really an issue. Just don’t want to be spending money on something that’s over spec. In my ignorance, ram and solid state drives, you’d be as well speaking Swahili.