E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Can someone please remind me how to select what loads at start up on a PC.?

I'm using bt yahoo and Yahoo messenger is seriously slowing up my laptop.

I don't use it or want it and it's getting to be a pain. When I try to remove it from programs it says it it being used by another blah blah blah....

How do I kill this off?

type ''msconfig'' into search on windows main bit (bottom left of screen , where the programmes are ), choose the start up tab, uncheck what you want to disable, hit apply then ok.

Ok, got up this morning and all my icon bar at the bottom of the page has moved to the top. No idea why or how to get it back to the bottom.

Anyone?

Right click on it and make sure 'Lock the taskbar' is unticked and then drag it down to the bottom of the screen again.

I took the battery pack out of my netbook but now I've put it back it's no working. It won't recharge or even power the netbook, the netbook itself is only six months old.

Any ideas on what's going on?

type ''msconfig'' into search on windows main bit (bottom left of screen , where the programmes are ), choose the start up tab, uncheck what you want to disable, hit apply then ok.

Thats it.

Could not remember that for love nor money!!

Cheers.:thumsup2

Right click on it and make sure 'Lock the taskbar' is unticked and then drag it down to the bottom of the screen again.

Yeah, I managed to do that before I went to work. Thanks anyway

"Windows Steven Restore" popped up on my laptop, and it's some sort of malware program. Asked on Facebook what to do, and I'm currently running Malwarebytes to get rid of the b*****d.

After this has finished, and hopefully removed the virus, would it be recommended to do a full system restore?

Edit- Right, that's it done, and it never came up when I restarted. I'm going to go to sleep, and I'll ask a lot of questions tomorrow. :)

Edited by Smurph

Right, okay. I used Malwarebytes to find the infected files, and remove them. I had also unhidden most of my files which I could find, but there still wasn't anything in the Start menu, and there was still a folder for the system restore virus. I decided to do a system restore to when the laptop was fine (two days ago) and did that. Turned the laptop back on, and it seemed to be working fine, but McAfee decided to pop up and say that real-time scanning was disabled. I tried to turn it on, but it's decided that it doesn't want to. I tried to download the latest version of Malwarebytes again (because that had gone with the system restore) but an error message has popped up when I try that.

What should I do? :(

Edit- I've managed to get McAfee running again after downloading the virtual tech thing, and messing around with that. That should be the laptop back to normal.

Edited by Smurph

2 things that seem to have just happened starting from yesterday.

1. When I try to view pictures on Windows Live Photo Gallery it says "class not registered" but I can view them on other programs such as just Windows Photo Gallery.

2. When I try to save an image by right clicking on it and then clicking "save image as" usually a box will appear asking me what I want to save it under and where I want to save it, but now nothing appears at all once I click "save imagine as"

Has anyone got an ideas? unsure.gif

Hi guys, wondering if you lads could help me out here.

I acquired a sky plus HD box from a friend, and the house which i moved into already has a dish and cables, so i hooked it up and managed to get channels through it, sort of like freeview with the BBC chanels, ITV chanels and some others. I don't have a viewing card though.

1/ Is it illegal to have this hooked up with no subscription?

2/ the "sky plus" feature doesn't seem to work without the viewing card, can i get a viewing card off of sky without a subscription?

Any help much appreciated.

Hi guys, wondering if you lads could help me out here.

I acquired a sky plus HD box from a friend, and the house which i moved into already has a dish and cables, so i hooked it up and managed to get channels through it, sort of like freeview with the BBC chanels, ITV chanels and some others. I don't have a viewing card though.

1/ Is it illegal to have this hooked up with no subscription?

2/ the "sky plus" feature doesn't seem to work without the viewing card, can i get a viewing card off of sky without a subscription?

Any help much appreciated.

IIRC it is 1. no not illegal - you are getting an equivalent to the freesat service and 2. not possible but this might have changed.

IIRC it is 1. no not illegal - you are getting an equivalent to the freesat service and 2. not possible but this might have changed.

I totally forgot i was friends with someone who works at Sky laugh.gif, anyway, she said that I've to ask Sky for a freesat viewing card which will cost me £25 and then i'm sorted.

Cheers for your help though mate.

Does not compute :blink:

laugh.gif ken. It's a £25 one off payment though for the card.

You didn't expect sky you give you something absolutely free did you? tongue.gif

Edited by Mik

not possible .

Can anyone recommend some good books/websites teaching PHP/JavaScript/JQuery? Primarily I'm looking for some beginner stuff to start with. There's far too many out there, so I'm not sure where to start, and what sites/books are good or not. So, kind of looking for something someone on here has used or uses, that they could recommend.

Thanks in advance. :)

Have backed up my sms messages onto sd card on my phone and copied this to laptop. Unfortunately it is in xml, is there a easyish way to convert this into a readable format? Have googled it but this is outa my field :rolleyes:

A blackberry related question.

1) I understand it's possible to download podcasts, is this going to be wildly expensive or difficult?

My laptop is goosed and i only really use it for itunes and general browsing, so i'm trying to work out if the phone could replace it. The podcasts are all i'm really worried about...

A blackberry related question.

1) I understand it's possible to download podcasts, is this going to be wildly expensive or difficult?

My laptop is goosed and i only really use it for itunes and general browsing, so i'm trying to work out if the phone could replace it. The podcasts are all i'm really worried about...

Should be fairly easy but cost will depend on your contract. I get half a gig free on my deal, I think 1/2 hour sound only podcasts are usually about 10-15 meg, so shouldn't be too expensive..I don't know if you can set it up so they download automatically though...