E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Laptop question. It won't shut down properly. Google Chrome stops working despite having a full internet connection., this seems to be the start of things to come.Try restarting and the computer just freezes on the Shutting Down screen until battery is dead or I manually shut down by holding down the power button. This is very annoying and I can't imagine it's doing my laptop any good. I'm running Windows 8. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

Laptop question. It won't shut down properly. Google Chrome stops working despite having a full internet connection., this seems to be the start of things to come.Try restarting and the computer just freezes on the Shutting Down screen until battery is dead or I manually shut down by holding down the power button. This is very annoying and I can't imagine it's doing my laptop any good. I'm running Windows 8. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

heres some things to try clicky

• 3 weeks later...

My touchpad seems to have ceased working on my laptop. Anyone know of any common fixes/causes of this?

Check the top row of f buttons. There is usually a icon with a finger on it. Might have turned touchpad off in error , seen it happen a few times.

My laptop needs a new battery. It still works for now but it keeps dying on me without warning. Will this be solved by buying a new battery or does it sound like something else is wrong with it? Don't want to shell out for a battery only to end up needing a new laptop anyway.

Check the top row of f buttons. There is usually a icon with a finger on it. Might have turned touchpad off in error , seen it happen a few times.

Wasn't even just a case of pressing a button, so f**k off. :lol:

I got Sky Fibre installed about 6 weeks ago. When I go into my router settings, it says I'm getting 39998 kbps down, and 10000 up.

I have my laptop and PS3 hooked up to it wirelessly, and the speeds are nowhere near that - on the laptop with Speedtest, I think the most it's showed is 19Mbps, and the PS3 shows something like 7.3.

Two questions really - is the speed being halved due to connecting wirelessly something I should be accepting?

And if I want to use a wired connection, is there some kind of box I need to get that goes into the router, that I then plug everything I want into it?

As you can probably tell, I'm a wee bit clueless when it comes to this shit.......

I got Sky Fibre installed about 6 weeks ago. When I go into my router settings, it says I'm getting 39998 kbps down, and 10000 up.

I have my laptop and PS3 hooked up to it wirelessly, and the speeds are nowhere near that - on the laptop with Speedtest, I think the most it's showed is 19Mbps, and the PS3 shows something like 7.3.

Two questions really - is the speed being halved due to connecting wirelessly something I should be accepting?

And if I want to use a wired connection, is there some kind of box I need to get that goes into the router, that I then plug everything I want into it?

As you can probably tell, I'm a wee bit clueless when it comes to this shit.......

You should be able to plug devices directly into the Sky router.

Looks like you're getting the infamous "half speed" issue. Theres a lot of people reporting the same issue on the Sky forums and I have it too :( I called their tech support before I went on holiday. I missed their call back and havent got round to calling them up again.

You should be able to plug devices directly into the Sky router.

Looks like you're getting the infamous "half speed" issue. Theres a lot of people reporting the same issue on the Sky forums and I have it too :( I called their tech support before I went on holiday. I missed their call back and havent got round to calling them up again.

I suppose I should have tried this before, but I've just plugged the laptop into the router direct with the ethernet cable that Sky supplied. Hey, waddya know - 38.25 mbps down, and 8.89mbps up. A minute later, by wireless - and it's 20.95, and 8.81. I can understand there being a WEE bit disparity between the two, but half (or just shy of it)?

I can just see Mrs Moz's face when I say that I want to buy two ethernet cables - long yins - that will need to either creep along the floor or up the wall. Aye, nae bother.........

Cheers tho' X, much appreciated.

I suppose I should have tried this before, but I've just plugged the laptop into the router direct with the ethernet cable that Sky supplied. Hey, waddya know - 38.25 mbps down, and 8.89mbps up. A minute later, by wireless - and it's 20.95, and 8.81. I can understand there being a WEE bit disparity between the two, but half (or just shy of it)?

I can just see Mrs Moz's face when I say that I want to buy two ethernet cables - long yins - that will need to either creep along the floor or up the wall. Aye, nae bother.........

Damn you and you're fully operational Sky fibre :(

Have a look at powerline adapters. They'll give better performance than wifi without having to trail cables round the house

one of the fixes was rename your box - which surprised me, even more so when it worked.

I have recently got sky fibre and I changed channel from auto to a random number. it works as well

Depends really. It made a difference on XP machines, but if you're running Windows 7 you shouldnt really need to touch it, especially if you have more than a couple of Gb of RAM.

My laptop is pushing 5 years old and I can barely run Football manager 2013.

I need the RAM :P

post-30760-0-15894100-1377612797_thumb.p

Edited by KeeperDee

I guessed not. I will probably invest in getting a new laptop.

the maximum you should go to if you are increasing is 3x ram. Give it a whirl. Might help pre new laptop