What is going on in Argentina?

Shuggie_Murray7

Ahoj!

Good Heavens Borys, I'm surprised you'd think I'd go for anything so convulated.

Sorry for any ambiguity in my post which could be misunderstood as implying such a shocking thought!

:)

To build upon your idea, and answer HJB's doubts.

The National Champion qualifying for top CL slot (as distinct from Apertura-Clausura Champion) would be decided by the aggregate table, as to keep UEFA happy. Winning the Apertura/Clausura could guaranty some sort of EL slot, with play-off if necessary. Maybe the inferior CL slot, if applicable?

If there's a will, there's a way.

So how about:

- National Champion - CL

- Apertura-Clausura Champions - play off for inferior CL slot/best EL slot - but are assured of some European Cup participation

Borys

Firstly, SPL reducing to 10 clubs AND possibly relegating 2 sides instead of 1... not happening IMO, and slightly excessive.

I also don't really understand your bit about the title. The issue arises from the fact that the Champion cannot be decided by play-offs, according to UEFA. Even if that wasn't the case, we don't and won't have 2 CL slots of equal value = you'd need to make Apertura + Clausura winners play-offs?

I don't see that being viable, + why not just do it after 36/38 game season = ditch 6-month factor? (Also in practical terms you could never have the OF contesting a title play-off).

If your suggestion is that the 36-game roster decides European qualification: then your plan is really just mid-season promotion-and-relegation, in a pre-1998 Scottish Premier Division, in effect?

I’m not advocating a play-off; if 2 different teams win the apertura & clausura their head to head records come into play to decide the ‘senior’ qualifier. The same or variations on a theme can easily be applied to the EL spots to ensure that the integrity of the two separate championships is maintained.

However, this is an exercise in futility as there isn’t a hope in Hell of it ever happening.

Look at the ire something as straightforward as the current split causes; the consensus among fans at least is to do away with this (as it makes us a laughing stock) and get back to a “proper” league, which translates as a 16 or 18 team double round robin with all sorts of garbage thrown in about how this would suddenly transform hammer throwing lumps into Roberto Baggio and bring the fans out in their droves to watch Aberdeen play Hibs for 8th place.

There is also the fact that the traditional 9 month marathon suits the bigger clubs; the possibility that the OF might be derailed in an 18 game 5 month championship isn’t the only pitfall because it would also increase the likelihood of one of the second tier clubs being relegated or missing out on their annual EL jolly; these clubs are every bit as self preserving as the OF and they hold onto their status every bit as jealously and they will do nothing that endangers their position in the Natural Order.

snip ... 18 team double round robin with all sorts of garbage thrown in about how this would suddenly ... snip ... bring the fans out in their droves to watch Aberdeen play Hibs for 8th place.

Dutch solution - use play-off for last EL slot. This extends the "play for something zone" down to (minimum) 6th place.

Borys

Watching Banfield's opener there tells you why River are in the mess they are. Deep cross came in from Banfield, Carrizo (overrated) comes out and makes a total hash of it; Romero gets the ball, takes it around the now-splayed 'keeper, chips it to the goal-line, Ruben Ramirez has the easiest finish of his life.

85 minutes to go and River are a goal down at a very, very hard ground to win in.

And with four minutes to go River get their second equaliser of the night, Roman heading in from eight yards unmarked.

Half the River backroom staff are in 'lockdown' in the main stand at this point. It's been quite a night.

The balance of power is shifting in Argentina rapidly and their league is one of the most open in world football.

We've had Banfield, Velez and Argentinos Juniors winning the title in the last few seasons.

Even as a keen follower of the Argentinian league, I find the South American systems quite baffling and still don't understand the relegation nonsense.

Boca and River are an absolute shambles. River have been going through a transition phase under their new president Passarella, who said he wanted to 'clean things up'. A great start under Angel Cappa, but they drew 2-2 at Banfield the other night and their performance was terrible.

Still confused but that's because I can't be arsed reading the explanitions ha guess half the teams dunno how it works either so it probs just gets made up

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I see in Argentina they now have a 30 team top flight, divided into two "zones" with interzonal games and a play off at the end of the season between the winners of each zone to decide the overall winner. They still have their relegation system which is based on the performance over 4 seasons too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Argentine_Primera_Divisi%C3%B3n

It was done to stop the big teams getting relegated due to a season of transition. If you look at an EPL table based on the Argentine model it's pretty much how you'd expect it to be.

Is a bit stupid but you can see the logic. It's better for the marketability of the league to have River and Boca etc in it.

I'm surprised Cockwomble hasn't latched on to this logic.

Last season was 30 teams, 29 fixtures and then an additional "derby" match to make it a round of 30. Then some playoffs after that.

It seems to be changing on a yearly basis right now, because they wanted to get rid of the whole Apetura/Clausura split-season business, but for some reason instead of just simply moving to one full 20 team season with home & away fixtures, they've gone a bit mental with everything.

They are playing a half-year-season currently... 2 groups of 15, with the odd teams each week playing each other (and then playing each other again), for a total of 16 games, then a title playoff... to move onto a European season starting 2016-17.

Not sure if go back to 1 division of 30 playing 30 games after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived