The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Back from Damnation Fest and Batushka were absolutely incredible live. Rosetta were the 2nd best of the day, followed by Saor and Napalm Death, who I was too drunk too fully appreciate I think.

Oh, I went to the warm up as well, really got into the band Surya but then I'm a sucker for sludge.

Edited by Comrie

Mates just text to say he’s bought us tickets for Slayer. Result. Managed to book that Campanile hotel for £22 each as well, happy with that seen as it’s right next door. Buzzing for this now.

Same here and have taken the following day off to kick the arse right out it! [emoji4]

I’ll be the guy that’s a wee high, drinking beer and wearing the black t-shirt.

On 11/4/2018 at 22:41, Comrie said:

Back from Damnation Fest and Batushka were absolutely incredible live. Rosetta were the 2nd best of the day, followed by Saor and Napalm Death, who I was too drunk too fully appreciate I think.

Oh, I went to the warm up as well, really got into the band Surya but then I'm a sucker for sludge.

I left half way through Napalm Death, too drunk by that point. 

A good day all round though.  Lik, Anaal Nathrakh, Saor, Ihsahn and Batushka  were the bands I enjoyed the most. 

11 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I left half way through Napalm Death, too drunk by that point. 

A good day all round though.  Lik, Anaal Nathrakh, Saor, Ihsahn and Batushka  were the bands I enjoyed the most. 

I went with:

Leeched

Hundred Year Old Man (psycho moshpit, with a wee blonde lassie attacking anything that moved)

Caligula's Horse (by accident)

Cancer (were okay, but left after 20 minutes)

Ohhms (were much better than expected)

Ne Obliviscaris (decent)

Rosetta (fantastic)

Bong 

A Forest of Stars

Batushka (incredible stage presence)

Mourning Behemoth

The Ocean

Napalm Death

My enjoyment of The Ocean and Napalm death were also tempered by the mosh pit at Hundred Year Old Man destroyed my feet (I've had toenails removed) and I was throwing drink down my throat to dull the pain. Worth it.

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Gonna patch Mastodon after all, and save up for the Saor album #4 launch party on 1/3/19 at St Luke's.

Tickets ordered, now to organise babysitters!

The involvement of Scott Kelly and Mutoid Man on the Mastodon run has compelled me to buy a ticket, otherwise, in the absence of a new album, I might not have bothered.

Gonna patch Mastodon after all, and save up for the Saor album #4 launch party on 1/3/19 at St Luke's.
Tickets ordered, now to organise babysitters!

Think I’m going to patch it too. Seen them at the Barrowlands only last year at which they were incredible, but prior to that, the previous time I seen Mastodon was at the Academy and they were insanely dull that night for some reason.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

@Comrie I remember seeing Cancer back in about 1992. James Murphy (WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!) was guesting on guitar for that album and tour.

They were/are monumentally dull though; JM was the only point of interest.

Agreed on this, they certainly weren't bad, but it was just stuff I'd heard many times before by better bands.

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Quick question for you metalheads...

If Slayer finish near 11pm, is it easily achievable for three drunk arseholes to get back to Queen Street station for the 11:30pm train back to Falkirk?

ETA - Via subway I’m guessing? If so which station?

The problem with the subway is the SECC/Hydro is almost slap bang in the middle of the circle.

best_glasgow_subway_map_of_stations.jpg

Any recommended watering holes pre gig for Monday? I only really know Rufus T Firefly which I’ve quite enjoyed in the past. Think we’re leaving Kirkcaldy about 12, few pints in the city centre, then check into the hotel and sit in the hotel bar for a bit. Anything to prevent spending a fortune in the Hydro haha.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Any recommended watering holes pre gig for Monday? I only really know Rufus T Firefly which I’ve quite enjoyed in the past. Think we’re leaving Kirkcaldy about 12, few pints in the city centre, then check into the hotel and sit in the hotel bar for a bit. Anything to prevent spending a fortune in the Hydro haha.

Solid Rock just round from Glasgow Central will be rammed with slayer fans pre-gig