May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?? Another one? Looks like Annabel Goldie will be resigning post election then.

Seems like a right stoshie over rankings and the boys and girls in blue are seeing red.

The Greens are now calling for football fans to be given first refusal is their club is out up for sale:

Give fans a chance in today's Scotsman

I believe that this is the first vaguely sensible mention of football in this election. Expect Salmond and Gray to both be photographed at Hampden holding up a Scotland shirt before polling day, or for some clunky football metaphor to dominate at least one of their press conferences.

I believe that this is the first vaguely sensible mention of football in this election. Expect Salmond and Gray to both be photographed at Hampden holding up a Scotland shirt before polling day, or for some clunky football metaphor to dominate at least one of their press conferences.

As long as it isn't another Monty Python reference from Gray.

The Greens are now calling for football fans to be given first refusal is their club is out up for sale:

Give fans a chance in today's Scotsman

Could have another Labour-backed advert with Craig Levein coming out in favour of the union again as happened in 2007?

The Sun's stance on it was comical - "Alex McLeish, Craig Levein, Walter Smith etc all support the union. You trust them". :lol:

Another good poll for the SNP released today, Lib Dems are really struggling! At this point of time looks like it could come down to the marginal seats.

"The race between the two parties most likely to win the battle for Holyrood could not be closer, according to a poll conducted for STV.

A survey of 1028 adults showed that 38% of those who were committed to voting on May 5 would use their constituency vote for Scottish Labour if the election were to take place tomorrow. The SNP, meanwhile, trailed by a single point, with 37% saying they would use their vote to support Alex Salmond’s party.

The Scottish Conservatives came third in the poll, with 15%, while 7% would vote for the Scottish Liberal Democrats. Other parties accounted for the remaining 3% of those polled.

239477-snp-and-scottish-labour-neck-and-neck-in-first-stv-voters-poll-200.jpgThe results were even closer when the regional vote is considered, with the SNP and Labour each gaining the support of 35% of those who said they would definitely be voting.

The Conservatives again came third, with 14%, while the Lib Dems gained 8% and Scottish Green Party came fifth with 5%. Again, other parties received 3% of support from those taking part.

STV's Political Editor Bernard Ponsonby said: “Labour will be pleased that their vote appears to be holding up well. The SNP will be even more pleased because they are continuing to close the gap.

“For the Tories it's a relief that they appear to be doing okay - not advancing but okay. It's a disaster for the Liberal Democrats who must be seriously worried because most polls are predicting disaster.

“Good news for the Greens who are registering on the list. But a word of warning. There are still a lot of voters undecided, and of course intentions can change as the campaign gets underway.”

The survey, by researchers from Edinburgh-based TSN-BRMB, included voters from 55 constituencies, and was weighted to match population profile estimates in order to ensure it was representative of Scotland’s adult population."

http://news.stv.tv/election-2011/239477-snp-and-scottish-labour-neck-and-neck-in-first-stv-voters-poll/

Interesting poll that. The Lib Dems will be really really worried. While i expect them to hold their constituency seats(on the whole) i can see them losing out on the list. The Tories are embroiled in their own mess,but i do not think that it will effect their core vote.

SNP and Labour havent really got to grips with each other yet. But the SNP will be pleased that they are closing the gap.Salmond v Grey will be the big battle.

liebour will want to avoid that though

[/quote

Indeed they will. But the SNP know that Salmond is an asset compared to Grey. Labour on the other hand will try the broken promise tact. Should be tasty once it kicks off.

Interesting poll that. The Lib Dems will be really really worried. While i expect them to hold their constituency seats(on the whole) i can see them losing out on the list. The Tories are embroiled in their own mess,but i do not think that it will effect their core vote.

SNP and Labour havent really got to grips with each other yet. But the SNP will be pleased that they are closing the gap.Salmond v Grey will be the big battle.

Te fascinating thing about those polling results is that they leave most of the parliament in the status quo.

Lab: 54

SNP: 47

Con: 17

LD: 8

GRN: 2

Basically, the only thing that changes is that their is a huge collapse in Lib Dem support that is oddly, mostly to the advantage of Labour rather than the SNP...

The Herald have a story on the polling report too, basically saying "game on", and pointing out that recent polls have showed support flowing from Labour to the SNP.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/opinion-poll-shows-flow-of-support-from-labour-to-snp-1.1093207

Live tv debate tonight, I'll be watching, I hope Alex Salmond puts on a decent performance...

The Herald have a story on the polling report too, basically saying "game on", and pointing out that recent polls have showed support flowing from Labour to the SNP.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/opinion-poll-shows-flow-of-support-from-labour-to-snp-1.1093207

Live tv debate tonight, I'll be watching, I hope Alex Salmond puts on a decent performance...

Really? I honestly had no idea - what channel/time?

Really? I honestly had no idea - what channel/time?

STV, 9pm:

http://news.stv.tv/election-2011/debates/239543-watch-the-scottish-leadersdebate-live-online-and-join-the-discussion/

It seems to be ridiculously under promoted, you'd have thought after the PM debates in 2010 that the media would have been all over it...

Try and spread the word around, there seems to be a real effort to keep this one on the QT.

STV, 9pm:

http://news.stv.tv/election-2011/debates/239543-watch-the-scottish-leadersdebate-live-online-and-join-the-discussion/

It seems to be ridiculously under promoted, you'd have thought after the PM debates in 2010 that the media would have been all over it...

Try and spread the word around, there seems to be a real effort to keep this one on the QT.

I note the Greens have not been invited.

That's a bit annoying to say the least. Given the margins of error with the list vote, there are scenarios where the Greens could have as many MSPs as the Lib Dems, so why are those uselss b*****ds getting a platform and not the Greens, who might actually have something interesting to say....

I note the Greens have not been invited.

That's a bit annoying to say the least. Given the margins of error with the list vote, there are scenarios where the Greens could have as many MSPs as the Lib Dems, so why are those uselss b*****ds getting a platform and not the Greens, who might actually have something interesting to say....

I agree, I don't see why the Greens didn't get an invite, and just like I thought the SNP should have been involved last year, I think the Greens should be involved this year.

I agree, I don't see why the Greens didn't get an invite, and just like I thought the SNP should have been involved last year, I think the Greens should be involved this year.

The thing is, the current polls are tight enough that the Greens may well be asked, alongside others of course, to form a coalition or to at least support a minority government. As such, their policies could well have an effect on post election Scottish politics. The electorate then surely have a right to know where they stand on issues.

YouGov Poll: 63% back inclusion of Greens in TV debatesFor immediate release 29 March 2011

The Scottish Greens today released the results of a YouGov poll conducted for the party over the weekend, indicating almost three to one support for the TV debates that start tomorrow to include the Scottish Greens alongside the four other parties represented in Holyrood's last session.

Eleanor Scott, the Greens' Co-convenor, said:

"Elections are meant to be about democracy, and there's no excuse for our broadcasters to ignore the will of the people and choose the parties they want to promote. There were five parties elected to the last Parliament, and any of those five could be called upon to take part in Scotland's next government. If nothing else, Greens deserve to be scrutinised and tested just like the other parties.

"The BBC and STV must respect the democratic voice of the Scottish people. Today's overwhelming poll result shows how out of touch they risk being if they persist in excluding Green voices from these debates. Time is tight, but there's still time for them to think again. It shouldn't be too hard to pull a fifth chair into the studio for Tuesday evening's debate, and I've asked Patrick Harvie to make sure he's available."

Eleanor Scott also wrote last week to the leaders of the four parties currently included, and received the following responses.

John Park, Labour's Election Co-ordinator, said:

"I have great sympathy with your predicament. While we do respect the right of independent broadcasters to make editorial decisions, we are broadly supportive of your position for two reasons. First, the long history of election debates in Scotland makes the situation significantly different to the recent prime ministerial debates in the general election. Where those debates were focused on the candidates aspiring to be the Prime Minister, the Scottish election debates have for many decades been focused on the parties standing for election to what is now a pluralist legislature. Second, I note that, unlike at the general election, there has been no substantive discussion with the political parties in Scotland around these debates. This is much regretted."

The letter from John Park is available here.

A spokesperson for the Scottish Conservatives said:

"Annabel is relaxed about who she debates against - however it is a matter for the broadcasters to decide who to invite to the TV debates

and it should be noted that only 4 parties are fielding candidates in every seat in this election."

No formal response has yet been received from either the SNP or the Lib Dems.

So, Labour onboard - the Tories, not really.

You'd expect after last year that the SNP would be wholly supportive of letting the Greens into the debate.

Although I doubt it'll happen.

Archived