May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right decision. How do you feel Iain Gray has got on so far?

I bet the families of the dead will be glad the entire topic got about 30 secs while a whole section of the show was dedicated to 'personality'.

I think Iain Gray is coming across worst, and I couldnt care less as the party i vote for isnt represented tonight.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck dealing with that barrage of questions! I can't even remember what was asked.

On a serious note (this is serious business remember. Serious business) that's spot on. They'd go to the audience who would shout various things and then scoot back to a confused panellist who'd trot out a few points.

I bet the families of the dead will be glad the entire topic got about 30 secs while a whole section of the show was dedicated to 'personality'.

I think Iain Gray is coming across worst, and I couldnt care less as the party i vote for isnt represented tonight.

Believe it or not, I'm actually surprised it didn't get more coverage than it did. I would have liked to hear a free for all on it, with some back and forth, so I'm on your side on that one. Who do you vote for if you don't mind me asking? I'm disappointed the Greens aren't involved, as they are a party with seats in the Parliament, but I can understand why the likes of Solidarity etc. aren't represented.

lol which ones that, one of the scottish leftie schizos or one of the english neo-facists?

Well, its over. How did they all do? :D

Salmond comfortably the best out there. Goldie a decent orator but her policies will find little traction. Scott's an empty coat.

.... as for Gray, got badly beaten up in the first section. Recovered a bit better later.

Ponsoby was a terrible moderator, and the scattershot format didn't help.

I could see a decent SNP bounce form this, if I thought a lot of people were watching it.

Maybe 3-5 points in the SNP favour.

On a serious note (this is serious business remember. Serious business) that's spot on. They'd go to the audience who would shout various things and then scoot back to a confused panellist who'd trot out a few points.

"FUEL POVERTY", "Pensioners", "LOCKERBIE", "Council Tax"

"Okay, Tavish Scott?"

"..."

Its a stupid format. One question, and supplementary points from the audience are fine. A barrage like that is ridiculous.

Well, its over. How did they all do? :D

I'll put it in Golfing terms...

Annabel Goldie hit a number of decent shots but was unable to make a decisive putt.

Tavish Scott pretty much made Par all the way round, not doing anything extravagent or risky, but not really troubling himself with anything either.

Alex Salmond made a couple of birdies, but had afew difficult moments but comfortably defeated his opponent Iain Gray.

Iain Gray huffed and puffed to a round of +4.

Salmond comfortably the best out there. Goldie a decent orator but her policies will find little traction. Scott's an empty coat.

.... as for Gray, got badly beaten up in the first section. Recovered a bit better later.

Ponsoby was a terrible moderator, and the scattershot format didn't help.

I could see a decent SNP bounce form this, if I thought a lot of people were watching it.

Maybe 3-5 points in the SNP favour.

Completely agree, and if Salmond continues playing a more reserved role, casually listing his Government's achievements and getting away from the smugness which he is known for, then that might shift a few heads. But I think the people of Scotland are pretty much set in their ways, and the result will be around what the Polls are predicting at the moment.

Believe it or not, I'm actually surprised it didn't get more coverage than it did. I would have liked to hear a free for all on it, with some back and forth, so I'm on your side on that one. Who do you vote for if you don't mind me asking? I'm disappointed the Greens aren't involved, as they are a party with seats in the Parliament, but I can understand why the likes of Solidarity etc. aren't represented.

I didn't even know it was on until I came on here and saw people discussing. I was watching Poirot on ITV3, who solved the case as usual.

My summary, and to be honest, as a regular watcher of those four, its not changed much. I am going by personality not by politics here btw.

Goldie generally came across reasonably well, pretty straightforward, reasonably jocular, and was pretty strong. Its clear that her policies were unpopular though. One moment that stood out though was that Tavish Scott, hardly Mr Domineering, just completely walked over her, leaving her squeaking ineffectively. In her favour though, her audience banter was light enough, and she skewered her opponents nicely without seeming petty.

Scott again seemed reasonably personable. He makes decent points, he's got a nice enough manner, and he's a decent speaker, but he's just too small scale. He's got potential, but he doesn't seem to think on a big enough sale. There is a decent politician in there IMO, but there just isn't enough substance. He comes over as a decent guy but in no way a leader. I liked his self deprecation on the personality issue, but thats not the sort of thing which wins votes. He didn't do anything spectacular, and I'm struggling for a favourite moment.

Salmond I thought was a class above. Maybe its the experience of being SNP leader, First Minister, his natural confidence, and being a big figure in Scottish politics for so long, but he managed to look statesman like and full of gravitas. Obviously, there is bias there, but if Salmond had displayed any of that smugness, then I would have pointed it out, but he reined in some of the more unpleasant aspects of his personality and had one of his better nights. He also gave credit to the Lib Dems and Tories, while also getting torn in on other issues. Oh, and he left Gray trailing in his wake.

Gray. Oh dear. I've seen him a lot in the Parly, and this wasn't one of his better performances. Not his worst, but not one of his better ones either. The first two sections were an annihilation, and he was just swatted aside by Salmond. However, his later sections weren't too bad at all. He had a decent answer on apprenticeships which got applause (although he was immediately skewered by Goldie), and a well thought out answer on Lockerbie, and didn't say too much in the latter parts of the debate. So not a disaster for him overall, but the first two sections were priceless in my biased opinion!

Edited to add, actually, I'd like to balance the above statement. Based on the first parts when he wanted to point the audience to death and seemed one step away from offering the entire audience ootside, I'd like to say it was actually fairly disastrous for Gray.

Was it worth missing?

Seem to recall they just had 1 or 2 debates in 2007 are there more planned this time around. 2007 ones weren't the greatest as they just repeated the many soundbites that big year.

Was it worth missing?

Seem to recall they just had 1 or 2 debates in 2007 are there more planned this time around. 2007 ones weren't the greatest as they just repeated the many soundbites that big year.

Yep.

It was strictly lower league stuff.

The debate did nothing to change my mind. Iain Gray is a total fucking idiot, Tavish Scott is a freak, Annabel Goldie was alright and as expected Alex Salmond wiped the floor with them all. I'd rather have Colonel Gadaffi in charge of Scotland than Iain Gray.. what an absolute cock.

Scott again seemed reasonably personable. He makes decent points, he's got a nice enough manner, and he's a decent speaker, but he's just too small scale. Maybe its the experience of being SNP leader, he managed to look statesman like and full of gravitas.

You calling someone out for being small scale in his thinking?

Oh, and I think we all know where Salmond learned his politics and achieved his gravitas. Shame you're too small scale to admit it. :D

Archived