The Falkirk FC Thread

If I had to choose a top flight, I'd devise some points system whereby the teams who perform best are in it and any who recklessly overspend or just play really badly, pay for it by spending time outside of it, even if they're quite big. I'd go with this system I think, rather than just select the biggest ones nearest to my house.

I don't see whats wrong with stating what your ideal top flight would be. Its only a piss about and as you say whose in the top flight should always be decided by what happens on the park and nothing else. Unfortunately that's not always been the case and Falkirk have suffered from that more than any other club in Scotland I'd say.

whose in the top flight should always be decided by what happens on the park and nothing else. Unfortunately that's not always been the case and Falkirk have suffered from that more than any other club in Scotland I'd say.

Cowdenbeath have been denied entry to the top flight three times as well despite winning the league below.

How come?

Last time was at the outbreak of WWII. We'd just won div 2. When football started again after the war we got stuck back there.

Going even further back we won div 2 a couple of times (i think in consecutive seasons) but there was no automatic promotion then. It was an election system i think. Sure Cowden Cowboy will be able to provide far more details than me.

I don't see whats wrong with stating what your ideal top flight would be. Its only a piss about.

Ok.

I'll go for a top league comprising only of sides from Dumfries and Galloway. We could have Annan, Gretna, Dalbeattie, Threave etc.

Lots of short trips and a great chance of being champions.

European football beckons.

Hamilton are in freefall just now. Annan put four past them the other week and it should have been more. Results like the the other night's have always popped up. Aberdeen went through a spell of constantly losing by huge margins at Parkhead. As you know, even this season's Falkirk are capable of shipping loads at unglamorous top flight venues. The line you're trying to peddle is daft. As I've said, the top league's current make up is atypical, but that's actually a good thing to my mind. Otherwise, we could dispense with the matches and just arrange clubs in order of size and give out the prizes that way. As Marshmallo says, the top tier is still the one where, generally speaking, you'll find the bigger clubs.

Partick, Killie and Dundee Utd have all been in freefall over the season too but I doubt they would get beat 8-1 at Parkhead in an 11 v 11 scenario of a Celtic team that in years to come, will be remembered as in the same class of a Lou Macari line up

I just feel its an embarrassment for the league, Id say the same if Rangers beat a full time club in this division 8-1 at home in an 11 v 11 scenario albeit two of them would be penalties no doubt.....

Ive no qualms with the make up of the SPL clubs, Ive always went down the route of football is on merit, albeit some clubs spending outwith their means to do so. The product in the top league is a shitfest, last seasons viewing figures on live games pointed to that, having 3 championship teams out the top 5 as the most watched teams with Rangers being top.

I just personally feel there is too many of the teams at a level thats just meh, whereas in the past we have had St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness etc show good form throughout a season and give the bigger boys a run for their money in games, it just seems now that they are all beating each other in a league of 8 and its fast becoming a shit sandwich.

The budget disparity between Hearts and Cowdenbeath will be less than the budget disparity between Celtic and Accies in percentage terms.

Yep, Hamilton players had finished their day jobs and took on Celtic.......lets forget part time v full time.......

Edited by MrDust

Ok. I'll go for a top league comprising only of sides from Dumfries and Galloway. We could have Annan, Gretna, Dalbeattie, Threave etc. Lots of short trips and a great chance of being champions. European football beckons.

No Stranraer? Crowd not big enough for you?

Last time was at the outbreak of WWII. We'd just won div 2. When football started again after the war we got stuck back there.

Going even further back we won div 2 a couple of times (i think in consecutive seasons) but there was no automatic promotion then. It was an election system i think. Sure Cowden Cowboy will be able to provide far more details than me.

Crowds not big enough? Actually though, that may well have been a factor.

I remember some cracking games against Cowdenbeath, Not going back to WW2 though before you ask!