The Falkirk FC Thread

If Vaulks is on his way we need to replace him with a similar player. That has to be someone young and energetic who can go box to box, not some plodding herbalife salesman who is past his prime.

He hardly a great advert for his product! [emoji23]

Liam Dick is a complete diddy.

Think that really harsh. Thought he looked steady until he got injured. Then was obviously not doing enough to get shot back in the team.

But a few have come & gone without being able to get a true assessment of their diddyness.

10 hours ago, Trump said:

Although Gallagher has undisputed potential, the point that was I was arguing is that 'we can get better than Leahy'. Tony has the potential to be a top left back but I wouldn't want to burden him with too much first team football at the moment considering his age. I'm happy to have him as back up in that position, and reiterate that we won't be able to recruit anyone better than what we have in this position.

It was the same 'burden' that was forced upon Kingsley and look where he is now, with a rake of experience. Thing is we don't have to play Gallagher like we did Kingsley because Leahy is doing a fine job in my opinion. Great going forward and the gaps he leaves when doing this are only exposed when you have a horse like cracks covering. Won't be the case this season hopefully. I don't think too much would have been said about Leahy if we weren't spoiled with Kingsley before him as well. Vaulks leaving is a massive blow, definitely need someone young and energetic to fill that position but I can't see us getting anyone of that calibre for what we could afford even if we did want to spend money which is an obvious statement to make.

Houston should have players scouted and potential targets for positions where players could likely be sold - like Grant, Leahy, Sibbald, Vaulks and O'hara.

No one is Scotland can match Vaulks for his athleticism, look at the way he celebrates a goal for Christ sakes! Signing Rankin as a replacement would be a slap in the face to the fans and further proof of Houston's poor, lazy and unambitious recruitment.

4 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Houston should have players scouted and potential targets for positions where players could likely be sold - like Grant, Leahy, Sibbald, Vaulks and O'hara.

No one is Scotland can match Vaulks for his athleticism, look at the way he celebrates a goal for Christ sakes! Signing Rankin as a replacement would be a slap in the face to the fans and further proof of Houston's poor, lazy and unambitious recruitment.

I hope this is tongue in cheek or trolling?

3 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Havers. The fact that we signed young players with potential like Gasparotto, Kidd, Austin & Hippolyte suggests that Houston knows exactly what he wants and will bring them in when they become available. You might get the odd stopgap signing on a 6 month contract in between, such as Kevin McCann, Lee Miller (or John Rankine??), but in the end I trust Houston to bring in a suitable replacement if Vaulks leaves. 

Whether we'll get that younger replacement in this transfer window remains to be seen. I suspect not, unless we're willing to pay over the odds for him. And in the meantime, if Rankine does sign, he'll get the chance to prove he can do the job. Folk said the same thing when we signed Miller and Kerr and both have done alright. 

In Houstie we trust.  

The problem is that most of the bargains out there have been snapped up now the season has started and its mainly the dross like Rankin that's left. I'd have been happy with someone like Nicky Law as a replacement but its too late now. If he does go we should be on the phone to  celtic and offer some of the cash for a years loan of Liam Henderson. I notice he wasn't quoted again the other night. A lot of the other clubs have brought in some decent loan signings so its going to be a really tough league this season. We need to be at our very best to make the playoffs never mind challenging for the league.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Havers. The fact that we signed young players with potential like Gasparotto, Kidd, Austin & Hippolyte suggests that Houston knows exactly what he wants and will bring them in when they become available. You might get the odd stopgap signing on a 6 month contract in between, such as Kevin McCann, Lee Miller (or John Rankine??), but in the end I trust Houston to bring in a suitable replacement if Vaulks leaves. 

Whether we'll get that younger replacement in this transfer window remains to be seen. I suspect not, unless we're willing to pay over the odds for him. And in the meantime, if Rankine does sign, he'll get the chance to prove he can do the job. Folk said the same thing when we signed Miller and Kerr and both have done alright. 

In Houstie we trust.  

I'd say Miller and Kerr have done more than alright, particularly with Kerr picking up one of the official player of the year awards and Miller getting a 1 year extension to his contract.  They've provided the necessary experience our team lacked and also know what the club and the fans are all about.

Kerr was always going to be a good signing and most people said that at the time. We needed an experienced composed player in the middle of the park.

I will admit I didn't want us to sign Miller but he was at least a different op so I can see the thinking behind it.

Rankin is nothing like Vaulks. He's a plodder who isn't technically good enough to make up for it as he gets older.

I'd be happy enough with Taiwo in there but I'd like to see us trying something with a replacement (if Vaulks goes). Someone in the English Premiership or upper end of the Championship must have a young midfielder to loan out. Even if it's Ryan Blair coming back for a season.

Why should we be looking for bargains to replace the players we sell? The message we've been getting from the BOD is that everything is hunky dory in the finance department so why don't do something really crazy for once like taking the (alleged) £500K we'll get from Vaulks' transfer and sign another player for £500K? I understood 3/4 years ago the need to balance the books but I'm now getting fecked off with selling our best young players for decent cash season after season and seeing virtual freebies come in.

It's getting quite negative on here, the season hasn't started, the transfer window still has another 45 days to go.
All of Falkirks main signings were done months ago.
They all look pretty good.
Austin looks like a real find.
The most amount of strength in depth for years.
Find a negative there.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone know how McGrandles recovery is going and whether theres been any talk of him returning on loan?

The only thing said was from McGrandles himself saying he would be open to the idea.

Nothing from his club or ours.

Would be fantastic to get mcgrandles back and would certainly cushion the blow of vaulks leaving. No idea when he would be fit enough to play however. Although when Houston brought him in last season it was further proof of his lazy and unambitious signing policy of course.