The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Killie spent money they did not have and found a way out of the mire. They did not go into the spending boom with a strategy to pay it back. That's not being far better at it.

I absolutely believe we can be a Hamilton or better still a St Johnstone.

Wasn't it the Hotel at Killie which caused most of their money problems? 

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Killie spent money they did not have and found a way out of the mire. They did not go into the spending boom with a strategy to pay it back. That's not being far better at it.

I absolutely believe we can be a Hamilton or better still a St Johnstone.

Just exactly the same way we did at the end of the Hughes era and had to get bailed out by directors soft loans. I presume if we'd won the cup final against rangers that wouldve been meaningless too . 

As I said their no different from us . Their just better at it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Just exactly the same way we did at the end of the Hughes era and had to get bailed out by directors soft loans. I presume if we'd won the cup final against rangers that wouldve been meaningless too . 
As I said their no different from us . Their just better at it.

So, in summary, your proposal is that we stray down that pathway again?

Wasn't it the Hotel at Killie which caused most of their money problems? 

Not going to claim to be an expert on Killie, I am not, but pretty sure it was not just about the hotel although it was a major factor.

However they had an asset to sell to get out of the issue, we don't, and we should not be expecting our club to adopt Killie as a model of success.

No the last thing I want is for us to sign a load of pensioners on huge contracts. I think some of us expected we would be making a real go of it this season and that the bod wouldve planned for this accordingly. To now find out that not only are we not having a real go at it but are actually cutting our player budget is a bit of a kick in the chukkies for fans that have backed the club in this division for 7 or more seasons now. 

We're never going to get out the league without gambling a little bit. We had to the last time and it's no different today.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

53 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I believe that St Mirren brought in O'Brien because their first choice goalie either picked up an injury or was deemed not good enough and Langfield was fecked by then? I'm sure one of their fans will be able to clarify. I don't think it was because they had gone in to the season with just one goalie on their books though?

Gallagher made a couple of mistakes and didn't seem to give much confidence to defence. After the last minute goal v Morton and the 3-0 to Queens he was dropped for Langfield, however that wasn't long term as he was only really the coach and backup so O'Brien was bought in. Man City were releasing him and I think wanted him to get game time.  

No the last thing I want is for us to sign a load of pensioners on huge contracts. I think some of us expected we would be making a real go of it this season and that the bod wouldve planned for this accordingly. To now find out that not only are we not having a real go at it but are actually cutting our player budget is a bit of a kick in the chukkies for fans that have backed the club in this division for 7 or more seasons now. 

Shadwell, I understand that and really want the same but I can see why the budget will be less this year.

In truth I really don't think we are that far off. A lot depends on how much improvement we get from Austin, Craigen, McKee and what we get out of Harris. If we get lucky and end up with Loy we may be just about there. If he does not get Loy (which I am assuming is the player he's holding out for) I guess the question is who he will bring in instead.

Would be interested to know if there will be any trialists with us in Hungary.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Shadwell, I understand that and really want the same but I can see why the budget will be less this year.

In truth I really don't think we are that far off. A lot depends on how much improvement we get from Austin, Craigen, McKee and what we get out of Harris. If we get lucky and end up with Loy we may be just about there. If he does not get Loy (which I am assuming is the player he's holding out for) I guess the question is who he will bring in instead.

Would be interested to know if there will be any trialists with us in Hungary.

Only a couple of seasons ago we made over 1 million pounds profit. Surely the sensible thing to do wouldve been putting some of that cash aside to ensure we had extra budget available once hibs had gone up? 

Only a couple of seasons ago we made over 1 million pounds profit. Surely the sensible thing to do wouldve been putting some of that cash aside to ensure we had extra budget available once hibs had gone up? 

Did most of it not get spent paying off the soft loans though?

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Did most of it not get spent paying off the soft loans though?

No some of it was used to pay off the new pitch even though we had a planned budget plan for that. The money coming off it should be pure profit now but doesn't seem to be making much of a difference to the budget. It certainly wasn't all spent on loans and that though.  BPM might have more knowledge of where all that cash has gone . I can't remember exactly how much we had in the bank at the last agm but I'm sure it was about 850k the year before.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Somebody posted on the COYB page that the club had left three spaces without names against them on the plane. I believe that info came from Barrhead Travel, which didn't go down particularly well at FFC. It was just that the final names of the travelling party hadn't been decided at the point.
Within a few hours of the COYB post going up there were various "ITK" posts on here about at least two signings, maybe three, and I think someone even suggested four.
It was always a load of pish. As Houston has now said in public, there is one very definite target on the radar and at the moment that's it. I suspect there may be more players to arrive later but a couple of other things need to happen first.

As one of a few folk who intimated signings were afoot, the board need to remember that loose lips sink ships then.

The Barrhead rumour aside, not much doesn't get leaked from either the BOD or club workers who like a blether.

I had heard that we were looking to sign 2 players this week and from what I can see 1 may still happen as the funds are there (with help) and the other potential signing having followed Leahy south of the border.

10 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

As one of a few folk who intimated signings were afoot, the board need to remember that loose lips sink ships then.

The Barrhead rumour aside, not much doesn't get leaked from either the BOD or club workers who like a blether.

I had heard that we were looking to sign 2 players this week and from what I can see 1 may still happen as the funds are there (with help) and the other potential signing having followed Leahy south of the border.

At least that would suggest that Houston still realises we have a problem at right back. Makes you wonder why kidd hasn't been told he can find another team if he wants some regular game time. 

At least that would suggest that Houston still realises we have a problem at right back. Makes you wonder why kidd hasn't been told he can find another team if he wants some regular game time. 

Still under contract & doubt we'd have money to pay him off. I'd keep him anyway for cover.

6 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

The club are very clear...it's our time.

Has anyone been sold with the pre season season ticket selling motto....?

They could have put, play offs, fail and start again and probably wouldve sold as many

Cant recall the last George Craig season one with the next step or something or other, signing older players like McCann, McNamara and nearly relegating and busting the club, tho we reached one league cup semi final and one cup final......

Its our time is pretty dull

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

Still under contract & doubt we'd have money to pay him off. I'd keep him anyway for cover.

We could at least try to get him off the books like we did with rankin. Let him know he's got no chance of a game and alert other clubs to his availability. Still can't believe we actually paid a fee for him.

6 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I liked Kidd pre injury.

Also if Grant leaves we move Muirhead to CB and Kidd starts

That will weaken the side even more. We need a rb that will start ahead of both of them. If kidd can't get a game before a make shift rb like Muirhead then it's time he moved on.