The Falkirk FC Thread

The lack of signings so far (although there's still plenty of time before league starts) would be more of a worry if we hadn't finished 2nd last season and have an excellent under 20s team, some of whom will break through. To much negativity on here, we will have every chance of winning the league next season! 

Although seeing what happened to raith last season (and nearly to last season's dark horses st mirren, how did their title challenge go?) an added bit of quality to the squad would be good. People need to realise next season will be a very tight league from top to bottom.

20 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

The lack of signings so far (although there's still plenty of time before league starts) would be more of a worry if we hadn't finished 2nd last season and have an excellent under 20s team, some of whom will break through. To much negativity on here, we will have every chance of winning the league next season! 

Although seeing what happened to raith last season (and nearly to last season's dark horses st mirren, how did their title challenge go?) an added bit of quality to the squad would be good. People need to realise next season will be a very tight league from top to bottom.

We're just matching the negativity emanating from the club at the moment. We've lost 7 players from last season and signed 2. We're 5 players down including Leahy, Baird and Sibbald at the moment. There's going to be a hell of a lot of pressure on Gallacher to perform at left back and no backup if he struggles or gets injured. Up front although bairds form was patchy to say the least again the pressure is currently on Austin to stay fit and in form with only Miller, O'Hara and Shepherd as options with one of them also having to start at the moment. If you look at the side currently can anyone say we look better than we did last season? We need to keep improving because everyone else will and at the moment we're going backwards every season. 

Compare Jack Ross's recent comments to Houstons doom and gloom:

“Speaking to people in Paisley they feel there is a sense of optimism that’s not been there for a long time.

“We as a club have a duty to try to buy into that, foster it and grow it again and ultimately what I can help produce on the pitch will determine whether that keeps moving forward".

I notice the likes of ICT are trying to sign a striker from AFC Wimbledon and have a player from Coventry on trial. At least their casting their net wide for new players  compared to our central belt mentality.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

3000 x 20 when they were in a stand holding 2000 with a maximum ticket price of 18 quid a head.

Inverness 0 x 20.

No increased costs for dealing with an away support of 3000 vs an away support of 0.

Houston is spot on imo. The guy is doing an incredible job.

Figures never were his strong point

Excellent U20?

Who is going to break through? Gallacher and?

We're just matching the negativity emanating from the club at the moment. We've lost 7 players from last season and signed 2. We're 5 players down including Leahy, Baird and Sibbald at the moment. There's going to be a hell of a lot of pressure on Gallacher to perform at left back and no backup if he struggles or gets injured. Up front although bairds form was patchy to say the least again the pressure is currently on Austin to stay fit and in form with only Miller, O'Hara and Shepherd as options with one of them also having to start at the moment. If you look at the side currently can anyone say we look better than we did last season? We need to keep improving because everyone else will and at the moment we're going backwards every season. 
Compare Jack Ross's recent comments to Houstons doom and gloom:

“Speaking to people in Paisley they feel there is a sense of optimism that’s not been there for a long time.

“We as a club have a duty to try to buy into that, foster it and grow it again and ultimately what I can help produce on the pitch will determine whether that keeps moving forward".

I notice the likes of ICT are trying to sign a striker from AFC Wimbledon and have a player from Coventry on trial. At least their casting their net wide for new players  compared to our central belt mentality.

Players are not going to come to Falkirk from down south for £600/week and have to fork out for accommodation.

Why do you think Baird went North? They are housing him free.

It's a wild statement for the club/manager to make at this point. It's payday for a lot of people and a lot of people will have been holding off before buying STs today. Waking up seeing the manager saying that because the biggest team has left the division we're expecting to finish lower is incredible.

16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's a formula that's worked for us in the past.  Signing young, English guys with a point to prove (Meekings, Tansey, Warren, Draper, Watkins, even Billy McKay).  Who are usually better than guys up here who have half the SPFL on their CV and want more money.

Edit - I appreciate we've just signed John Baird however, which blows my theory out the water.  But you get my gist.

Edited by TheScarf

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Who fucking cares about what Jack Ross says?? Honestly, do you even care or are you simply looking for sticks to beat Houston with?

And who cares who ICT are trying to sign? Want me to tell you who they have signed? John Baird.

John. Baird.

Christ I wouldn't slag Baird off too much at the moment the way things are going we may be wishing he was still here in a few months time.  If Jack Ross' s positivty manages to get a few hundred season tickets sold compared to Houstons we'll be struggling to make the playoffs pish then I know what I'd rather my manager was saying. 

How did previous managers manage to get the likes of Taylor etc on trial? We couldnt have been paying him much more than we're paying anyone now surely in fact was our budget not even less back then?

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's a formula that's worked for us in the past.  Signing young, English guys with a point to prove (Meekings, Tansey, Warren, Draper, Watkins, even Billy McKay).  Who are usually better than guys up here who have half the SPFL on their CV and want more money.

I appreciate we've just signed John Baird however, which bows me theory out the water.  But you get my gist.

I suppose to play for you the players will need to find accommodation anyways so there's no real benefit to looking at the central belt like we have. Get your scouting right and as you say, you'll find good players with a point to prove.

56 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Honestly and people wonder why some of us have been negative regarding our close season activity so far this season. Teams like St Mirren who struggled to avoid going down last season are spouting nothing but positivity from their club and management and yet a team that came second two years on the trot will be lucky to make the playoffs this year according to the manager. If you read that and hadn't bought a season ticket your money wouldn't be leaving your wallet. What do we budget for in prize money for starters? Surely coming second twice and getting 400k plus should be a bonus to begin with. Houston's statements are just like his football, turgid  and depressing.  

Who exactly have St Mirren signed this close season that you think will improve them?

Mostly part time players and Dale Hilson, exactly the kind of signings that would have you rubbing your hands with glee at their uninspiring status! Some of them even played for clubs within a 40 mile radius ffs!

1 minute ago, ilostmyself said:

I suppose to play for you the players will need to find accommodation anyways so there's no real benefit to looking at the central belt like we have. Get your scouting right and as you say, you'll find good players with a point to prove.

Aye being 'remote' as it were, we can offer these guys a house or flat which may swing it our way when we offer these guys a deal.  And the fact we've just had a Nando's open. 

Players are not going to come to Falkirk from down south for £600/week and have to fork out for accommodation.

Why do you think Baird went North? They are housing him free.

30 grand a year for a young guy living in Falkirk is a very decent wage. Also puts them in the shop window for a bigger move, either back down South or to a top flight Scottish club.

Somebody making 2500 a month can pay 500 of that to rent a decent flat in the area, or in a reasonable area of Glasgow or Edinburgh.

30 grand a year for a young guy living in Falkirk is a very decent wage. Also puts them in the shop window for a bigger move, either back down South or to a top flight Scottish club.

Somebody making 2500 a month can pay 500 of that to rent a decent flat in the area, or in a reasonable area of Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Not if you can get easily double that living in Rotherham or Doncaster or Hartlepool or Carlisle it ain't

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Who exactly have St Mirren signed this close season that you think will improve them?

Mostly part time players and Dale Hilson, exactly the kind of signings that would have you rubbing your hands with glee at their uninspiring status! Some of them even played for clubs within a 40 mile radius ffs!

I'm more talking about the air of positivity about their club which has resulted in increased season ticket sales and fans actually looking forward to the season ahead. They struggled to stay up last season but you don't hear Ross saying yeah we'll be happy if we avoid relegation again this season. Meanwhile we should be favourites for the league this season but our manager thinks it will be a major achievement  if we reach the playoffs . Theirs no comments from them moaning about budget cuts etc.  The fact that they have the likes of McGinn playing for them now will mean they will undoubtedly be a better side than they were in the first half of last season when they were utter dross.  We ended up 21 points ahead of them last season I'll be very surprised if we're anywhere near that far ahead this season

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Is this Nandos 'cheeky' in any way?

I've not actually been yet.  I'm having a 'naughty' Franke & Benny's tonight which is next door to it, so shall report back tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

The Nandos in Inverness probably won't know who Sibbs is though...

I'm sure once he goes in a few times with his ICT tracksuit on they'll start giving him his own table.