The Falkirk FC Thread

59 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Only we would cut our budget for the one season we have a real chance of winning the league after two seasons when we've been up against it.

I think Houston was banking on getting money for Sibbald. Certainly seems to be the case given how much he's talking him up in the press.

Personally I still think we're short of two good full-backs, a box-to-box midfielder and a striker.

1 hour ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Why sign another goalie if things are so bad? Could go with a kid on the bench and an emergency loan if needed.

Yup, Thomson gets injured and a wee laddie comes on and throws a few in. Houston would get a standing ovation at the end!!

He would get ripped to bits if he hadn't signed another 'keeper; plus the fact, who's to say that a decent goalie would be available on an emergency? 

He tried to have two players for every position last season, which I didn't agree with as I don't think it's affordable (or it compromises on that wee bit of extra quality that we could have) however, if there's one position that you need decent cover for it's goalkeeper IMO.

13 minutes ago, Scosha said:

If only league titles were won on the number of supporters each club has. Is that the same cannon fodder you failed to beat in 5 attempts last season? :rolleyes:

Erm in general it is...look at any league in the world & you will find the champions are one of the best supported teams...it's the reason utd are favourites & brechin will do down...sorry to have to break this to you

2 minutes ago, distresseduke said:

Erm in general it is...look at any league in the world & you will find the champions are one of the best supported teams...it's the reason utd are favourites & brechin will do down...sorry to have to break this to you

Chelsea have the 6th largest attendances in the Premiership and won the league, Arsenal and Manchester Utd finished outside the top 4 yet have the best supports. Leicester were 12th in the averages of attendances when they won the league the year before. Brechin aren't favourites to go down because they have a small crowd ffs :lol: Dundee Utd are favourites because they will likely have the best squad in the league. 

11 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Yup, Thomson gets injured and a wee laddie comes on and throws a few in. Houston would get a standing ovation at the end!!

He would get ripped to bits if he hadn't signed another 'keeper; plus the fact, who's to say that a decent goalie would be available on an emergency? 

He tried to have two players for every position last season, which I didn't agree with as I don't think it's affordable (or it compromises on that wee bit of extra quality that we could have) however, if there's one position that you need decent cover for it's goalkeeper IMO.

I'm sure that under Pressley we only employed one senior goalie and it never caused us any major issues. If the budget is as tight as Houston suggests then we may well have been better off using that money elsewhere. Sometimes if things are tight you've got to take a gamble and hope it comes off. There's always the option of an emergency loan if it was a serious injury.

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Chelsea have the 6th largest attendances in the Premiership and won the league, Arsenal and Manchester Utd finished outside the top 4 yet have the best supports. Leicester were 12th in the averages of attendances when they won the league the year before. Brechin aren't favourites to go down because they have a small crowd ffs :lol: Dundee Utd are favourites because they will likely have the best squad in the league. 

Juventus 4th best in Italy, Monaco  smallest average in France,  Anderelecht third highest Belgium, Feyenoord second highest in Holland.

4 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Not the best comparison - the English Premiership clubs have far greater revenue streams than our Championship clubs, with much less of their coming from ticket sales.

Scottish Championship clubs rely greatly on gate receipts, therefore it makes sense that Dundee Utd will be able to have much better quality than Brechin.

Just now, Bofabairn said:

Not the best comparison - the English Premiership clubs have far greater revenue streams than our Championship clubs, with much less of their coming from ticket sales.

Scottish Championship clubs rely greatly on gate receipts, therefore it makes sense that Dundee Utd will be able to have much better quality than Brechin.

distresseduke said to look at any league in the world though and indicated that any team in the world with the largest support in a league will be champions which is completely false. 

53 minutes ago, distresseduke said:

You wont win this one.

Ross County, ICT, St Johnstone, Hearts, Livvy, Hamilton, Gretna have all won this league in recent years having not had the biggest support that season.

Edited by madton

Leaving aside the never-ending spouting of attendance figures - if only we could - its strange that non-Falkirk fans on here are so keen to make wee comments about "Falkirk's level" and our pre-season aspirations. (That's "aspirations", not predictions). In the 7 seasons we've been in the Championship, we've finished 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, and 2nd. So it looks like "our level" is to be pretty much in the mix. So yeah, I think its ok that our current aspirations are for a few decent signings to make a credible fight of it this coming season, given we finished second last time while playing pretty poorly for the most part. As was said above, a good few teams will fancy the challenge this time around, rightly so, and we should likewise be looking to perform to a better standard than we did. To date the club isn't offering anything like enough encouragement, and that's really nippy.       

See, the more that I think about this, the more raging I am.

For three seasons we've been told that there was no point in trying to compete against Rangers, Hearts or Hibs.

Now they're out of the way, there's no point in competing because we won't get the windfall their visiting fans bring?

This absolutely stinks.

See to all the fans who post drivel about being 'proper' supporters because they go every week and don't care what league we're in or how well we perform - this is your fault.

The board have seen that a sizeable proportion of our fans don't care about what league we're in, or how well we do, and just have their couple of hours out the house on a Saturday, and they're already setting us up with excuses about why we won't mount any kind of title challenge this season.

The "COYB expect the unexpected" mob - this is your fault.

All other things being equal, average attendance is best indicator of where a side can realistically expect to finish.

Wealthy sugar daddies a la Man city, Chelsea and county, and well run, prudent (calculated risk taking) clubs a la Southampton, Spurs and St. Johnstone skew that somewhat.

Leicester's success was a rare anomaly, though interesting to note their average attendance is higher than Spurs'

As for us, I think we'll do ok. We've done better than expected the last 2 seasons and we'll probably get the same outcome this season, as things stand

2 minutes ago, Senator Frimpton said:

All other things being equal, average attendance is best indicator of where a side can realistically expect to finish.

Wealthy sugar daddies a la Man city, Chelsea and county, and well run, prudent (calculated risk taking) clubs a la Southampton, Spurs and St. Johnstone skew that somewhat.

Leicester's success was a rare anomaly, though interesting to note their average attendance is higher than Spurs'

As for us, I think we'll do ok. We've done better than expected the last 2 seasons and we'll probably get the same outcome this season, as things stand

Good so promotion by a good few points this season .

7 minutes ago, madton said:

You wont win this one.

Ross County, ICT, St Johnstone, Hearts, Livvy, Hamilton, Gretna have all won this league in recent years having not the biggest support that season.

^^^^^ This...

And ironically, in those years when Falkirk won the League but weren't allowed promotion because of the perceived condition of Brockville, the continual argument - and rightly so - from our club and fans was "its what you do on the park that should count, not what conditions are like off it". Flinging around attendance figures as a yardstick against performance is missing the point spectacularly. I really wish our fans on here would drop the crowdw*nk stuff once and for all, its really, really tiresome.   

1 minute ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

^^^^^ This...

And ironically, in those years when Falkirk won the League but weren't allowed promotion because of the perceived condition of Brockville, the continual argument - and rightly so - from our club and fans was "its what you do on the park that should count, not what conditions are like off it". Flinging around attendance figures as a yardstick against performance is missing the point spectacularly. I really wish our fans on here would drop the crowdw*nk stuff once and for all, its really, really tiresome.   

Preach!

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

See to all the fans who post drivel about being 'proper' supporters because they go every week and don't care what league we're in or how well we perform - this is your fault.

The board have seen that a sizeable proportion of our fans don't care about what league we're in, or how well we do, and just have their couple of hours out the house on a Saturday, and they're already setting us up with excuses about why we won't mount any kind of title challenge this season.

The "COYB expect the unexpected" mob - this is your fault.

Yeah, but if you were to just applaud as much as they do and never say anything critical you'd have won promotion years ago!

Supporters who sycophantically fawn over their club and jump down the throat of anyone who criticises are far more damaging to a club than supporters who criticise too much.

56 minutes ago, Scosha said:

While I agree with you by and large, in fact United are favourites at the moment because they are the biggest club in the league.  Their squad is presently weaker than it was last season although there no doubt are signings to come.  Falkirk are in a similar position re signings and certainly they will look to strengthen.  St Mirren have lost Mallan and Loy and I don't yet see any of their signings replacing them.  Caley can barely field a team yet so who knows.   That's the current four favourites for the league and I don't see any f them particularly better than Morton or Dunfermline or possibly Queens or Livi for that matter.

Another thing to bear in mind is that when clubs are struggling financially, quite often they delay signings until the last moment to avoid picking up wages earlier than they have to.