The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Weren't we supposed to sign like 3 or 4 players this week lol?

Somebody posted on the COYB page that the club had left three spaces without names against them on the plane. I believe that info came from Barrhead Travel, which didn't go down particularly well at FFC. It was just that the final names of the travelling party hadn't been decided at the point.

Within a few hours of the COYB post going up there were various "ITK" posts on here about at least two signings, maybe three, and I think someone even suggested four.

It was always a load of pish. As Houston has now said in public, there is one very definite target on the radar and at the moment that's it. I suspect there may be more players to arrive later but a couple of other things need to happen first.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

I didn't say you shouldn't be aiming for the title, I'm talking about people who were throwing names like Michael O'Halloran and Gary Mackay-Steven around without a hint of irony.

I think there was a hint of desperation with those mind you.

I'dve thought that every single one of us should be looking at us trying to win the league this season . We've had two second place finishes and now there are no teams in the league with massive budget advantages. The Its Our Time advertising pish suggests that too . Whatever happens there will be more pressure on the team to perform this season than any other and quite rightly so .  The fans have been doing their bit for the past 7 years  and surely its not too much to ask for a bit of positivity from the club and bod in words and actions.
We should be looking to sell more season tickets this season than the last two. Not slightly less, not the same but more but we've done absolutely nothing to entice people who haven't bought before to buy one this season. Prices are up, signings have been few and uninspiring and the message from the manager is that it'll be great if we make the playoffs again this season. 

I think you need to separate out the statements from the club from that of the manager.

The club are very clear...it's our time.

So the pressure is on the squad and the manager to achieve that level. However if the manager is not being given the cash he feels he needs to achieve that ambition (however true or justified that is), I can understand him coming out with a statement that conflicts a little with the clubs strategy.

I don't read too much into it...just that the manager is a little frustrated with the budget he has but states he reluctantly understands the reasons why.

As a result he try's to cool the expectations a little to take the pressure off the squad and himself.

I didn't say you shouldn't be aiming for the title, I'm talking about people who were throwing names like Michael O'Halloran and Gary Mackay-Steven around without a hint of irony.

The key word is 'irony'.

I doubt anyone really expects us to sign them.

Just now, roman_bairn said:

I think you need to separate out the statements from the club from that of the manager.

The club are very clear...it's our time.

So the pressure is on the squad and the manager to achieve that level. However if the manager is not being given the cash he feels he needs to achieve that ambition (however true or justified that is), I can understand him coming out with a statement that conflicts a little with the clubs strategy.

I don't read too much into it...just that the manager is a little frustrated with the budget he has but states he reluctantly understands the reasons why.

As a result he try's to cool the expectations a little to take the pressure off the squad and himself.

Would he not be better stating these issues after the early bird period for season tickets is finished though? Its surely counter productive being so negative when your at a stage where a lot of fans could still be swithering over whether or not to buy one this season.

Would he not be better stating these issues after the early bird period for season tickets is finished though? Its surely counter productive being so negative when your at a stage where a lot of fans could still be swithering over whether or not to buy one this season.

Yes, but I doubt that was in his mind at the point of interview.

Obviously and it obviously wasn't in his mind during his stupid swipe at the fans in the herald .

Presumably you mean re the two friendlies in Hungary? I sense a little bit of frustration with the comments of Craig Campbell re it being a farce.

Complete speculation on my part though.

Nobody is saying the manager go full on Ally McLeod and hype up the fans to believe we'll win the treble. 

But he must realise 8 home wins last season was unacceptable and the season ended on a downer. He must know that the club and fans need a lift and the best way to do that is to give us hope it will get better. That means showing intent, signing a few players and being positive. Not being the Rev I. M Jolly and bemoaning lack of budget.

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

100% yes

I wouldnt be surprised if we went into the league cup games with no other signings tbh and perhaps a few rush jobs at the end

In the striker dept at
the moment it stands at Austin, O'Hara and Shepherd. Miller can possibly be used as a cameo sub for last 15 mins at best. His legs have gone and if he starts games he is blowing out his arse after 20 mins. If Houston is going to use him as the main man next season then we are in real trouble. Maybe Houston has plans of using Hippo further forward.

7 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Nobody is saying the manager go full on Ally McLeod and hype up the fans to believe we'll win the treble. 

But he must realise 8 home wins last season was unacceptable and the season ended on a downer. He must know that the club and fans need a lift and the best way to do that is to give us hope it will get better. That means showing intent, signing a few players and being positive. Not being the Rev I. M Jolly and bemoaning lack of budget.

So, you want him to sign a few players when he has a lack of budget? It looks fairly obvious to me that he's got cash available for one (if he can get him) but that any others will need to be funded by others leaving. 

Just now, RichieBairn said:

In the striker dept at
the moment it stands at Austin, O'Hara and Shepherd. Miller can possibly be used as a cameo sub for last 15 mins at best. His legs have gone and if he starts games he is blowing out his arse after 20 mins. If Houston is going to use him as the main man next season then we are in real trouble. Maybe Houston has plans of using Hippo further forward.

And then who plays on the left? No Sibbald at the moment either.

Questions would surely have to be asked about Harris  being signed and the decisions to sign up  both  Kerr and Taiwo  plus Watson  if he's now only being allowed to bring in one more  player . 

Only we would cut our budget for the one season we have a real chance of winning the league after two seasons when we've been up against it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

So, you want him to sign a few players when he has a lack of budget? It looks fairly obvious to me that he's got cash available for one (if he can get him) but that any others will need to be funded by others leaving. 

Why sign another goalie if things are so bad? Could go with a kid on the bench and an emergency loan if needed.

Questions would surely have to be asked about Harris  being signed and the decisions to sign up  both  Kerr and Taiwo  plus Watson  if he's now only being allowed to bring in one more  player . 
Only we would cut our budget for the one season we have a real chance of winning the league after two seasons when we've been up against it.

You know it could be that Houstie has options that he can sign but is holding out for Loy on a bigger slice of the available budget.

Imagine how frustrating it would be if he spent on a couple of 'mediocre' signings and Loy then became available and we were not able to sign him?

In the striker dept at

I have major concerns that Shepherd will start the season.

I have major concerns that Shepherd will start the season.

Considering Austin's injury record last season that's a very real possibility. That said, I'd love him and O'Hara (who played on the left for East Fife I think) to kick on and be regulars.

1 hour ago, distresseduke said:

Falkirks level? The eighth best supported team in the country shouldn't have realistic expectations of winning the league below? If we were cannon fodder like Morton with 800 season ticket holders id agree

If only league titles were won on the number of supporters each club has. Is that the same cannon fodder you failed to beat in 5 attempts last season? :rolleyes: