The Falkirk FC Thread

Depending on what happens with Sibbald if Houston has to get players out before anyone comes in then Kidd would maybe be one I would try to shift, Shepherd would be another I would have tried to put out on loan. The fact he got a new two year deal is perplexing to say the least.

1 minute ago, Jackie Moon said:

A player is only as good as the players around him, if he hasnt got quality players around him then he is hardly going to set the heather on fire. If he hasnt got a decent striker to pass to or finish off then on that logic hes the one thats shit, he set up 2 of the goals last night which Fash and O Hara finished off, replace fash and o hara with 2 shit strikers you wouldnt be having a go at the striker you would be having a go at Harris.

A good player should stick out like a sore thumb in a side that are average. Especially a winger. He played 20 games for queens and I haven't found a Queens fan yet who thought he was anything over average. At Dundee he had to put up with shit strikers like Hemmings, Loy and Stewart . That must've been a nightmare as they only got 39 goals between them. Yet again he failed to impress.  If he sets up chances galore and our strikers miss them then I'm hardly going to have a go at him. Thats just plain stuipid. August the 5th we'll see where we're at this season. I hope he turns out to be a quality player who runs riot and we end up selling him on for a million only time will tell.

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

A good player should stick out like a sore thumb in a side that are average. Especially a winger. He played 20 games for queens and I haven't found a Queens fan yet who thought he was anything over average. At Dundee he had to put up with shit strikers like Hemmings, Loy and Stewart . That must've been a nightmare as they only got 39 goals between them. Yet again he failed to impress.  If he sets up chances galore and our strikers miss them then I'm hardly going to have a go at him. Thats just plain stuipid. August the 5th we'll see where we're at this season. I hope he turns out to be a quality player who runs riot and we end up selling him on for a million only time will tell.

Seriously ?, the guy was 18/19 yrs old at the time he was at Dundee name a stand out premier league player at that age outside the OF 

Edited by Jackie Moon

15 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Depending on what happens with Sibbald if Houston has to get players out before anyone comes in then Kidd would maybe be one I would try to shift, Shepherd would be another I would have tried to put out on loan. The fact he got a new two year deal is perplexing to say the least.

Houston seems to keep sticking him out wide but it never ever seems to work. To me he's a striker and nowt else and probably 5th choice striker at best.

11 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

Seriously ?, the guy was 18/19 yrs old at the time he was at Dundee name a stand out premier league player at that age outside the OF

James McCarthy, Scott Arfield, Anthony Stokes, Leigh Griffiths, Andrew Robertson. Any more?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

17 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Season ticket update from Twitter

Dundee United 3949 (7th July)
St mirren 2631 (6th July)
Dunfermline 2535 (11th July)
Falkirk 2500 (1st July)

We've sold about 600 so far apparently.  Hopefully break 700 before the first league game.

I guess it depends how the manager responds. If the Pars manager decides, on the basis of what he's seen, to invest and get a few more bodies in then that might be different come the start of the season. If however Houston decides that it's job done, the squad is fine, and then we start shipping goals against better opposition that could work out badly. We'll know more after the league cup games.  

If a manager decides to make signings as the basis of a performance in a friendly does that not simply further define their importance?

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

James McCarthy, Scott Arfield, Anthony Stokes, Leigh Griffiths. Any more?

By the way the season Harris was at Dundee, Loy wasnt there till the following season,also the 2 top scorers in that season was David Clarkson 8 goals and Greg Stewart with 13 goals, Dundee as a whole that season scored 45 goals

and out of 12 teams in the premier, 4 names of players that stood out at their age as being quality,that says it all

Edited by Jackie Moon

Only got about 15 minutes but he looked sharp and seems to have the knack for being in the right place at the right time. I've always liked him and Miller together and think one of the most difficult jobs will be getting the right combination as we now have an abundance of options - a good problem to have I guess. I have a feeling he will prove to be an important player for us this season.

Also thought that despite a pedestrian and disjointed start it was clear that we have several more gears to go and even at this very very early stage I thought that was promising.

Luca looked in a better physical shape and I thought all the young guys looked determined to prove a point.

The leap from Austin for his goal was impressive and although the quality he will be up against will be better most weeks he continues to look more and more talented with every game. Hopefully stays clear of injuries and hopefully big things to come.

Overall a useful game and plenty of reasons to be cheerful. Also good to see a team from Edinburgh that don't have a set of fans that claim for every little decision and have a huge chip of their shoulder.

I know you only asked about O'Hara but I couldn't stop myself.

PS - just to ensure I don't abandon my boo boy inclination totally...Kidd was awful and I worry that our manager won't ever work out the best combination [emoji847]

Wow. What exactly was it the doctor prescribed you? [emoji16]

3 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

By the way the season Harris was at Dundee, Loy wasnt there till the following season,also the 2 top scorers in that season was David Clarkson 8 goals and Greg Stewart with 13 goals, Dundee as a whole that season scored 45 goals

and out of 12 teams in the premier, 4 names of players that stood out at their age as being quality,that says it all

4 that I could think of in a  few minutes and I've added Andrew Robertson. There's way more than that but I'm not wasting my time. Whatever happened to if your 'good enough your old enough'? Why did Hibs let him go if he's that brilliant? Different if he's dropping down a level to play for us but he couldn't get on the bench for them in the championship. Time will tell if he's going to be any better than the make shift right mids we've been playing out there for a good few seasons.

So is it Luca before Watson? I don't think there is much between them but is the consensus its Lucas jersey to lose?
Disappointed to hear about Shepherd, I have my reservations that he will ever be good enough. That leaves, Loy and Austin as first choices with O'Hara as back up. Miller will be a last 20 mins man this year and the only other striker option is underperforming Shepherd!!
Last question, if Sibbald does leave do you think Houston will stick with what we have or look to add at least one or two before the season starts? I'm hoping he has a target/s in mind if Sibbs goes!

2 minutes ago, RichieBairn said:

So is it Luca before Watson? I don't think there is much between them but is the consensus its Lucas jersey to lose?
Disappointed to hear about Shepherd, I have my reservations that he will ever be good enough. That leaves, Loy and Austin as first choices with O'Hara as back up. Miller will be a last 20 mins man this year and the only other striker option is underperforming Shepherd!!
Last question, if Sibbald does leave do you think Houston will stick with what we have or look to add at least one or two before the season starts? I'm hoping he has a target/s in mind if Sibbs goes!

Watson has more pace than Gasparotto but obviously lacks his physical presence. Sometimes feel he is a better foil for Grant though. Could perhaps be a horses for courses option depending on who you are playing and what their strikers are like but then again you want to get a settled partnership too.

11 hours ago, Russ said:

Quite sad in a way to see a hero like Farid scrapping a game as a trialist for a league 2 team. He looks absolutely done.

Wouldn't feel too sorry for him. I saw him on the way out the ground getting into a top of the range Merc with a tidy as f**k bird. What a guy.

Watson has more pace than Gasparotto but obviously lacks his physical presence. Sometimes feel he is a better foil for Grant though. Could perhaps be a horses for courses option depending on who you are playing and what their strikers are like but then again you want to get a settled partnership too.

I favour Watson personally alongside Grant but only an opinion. Haven't seen Gaspa in the flesh since the Dundee Utd game where he looked more like a sumo wrestler to be fair. [emoji15]

I think it's Watson before Luca but it will be whoever is in form that will dictate. I agree I don't think Sheps will ever be good enough, I think the contract is only to protect any potential development fee in the future, he's on small beer anyway so no big deal. But Kidd I feel is sucking a reasonable wage out the club with nothing to offer.