The Falkirk FC Thread

McGhee can do a job at right-back, but he's wasted there. He should be a fixture at centre-half with another paired around him. We need a first choice recognised right-back, something that we unbelievably haven't had for years, with Kidd as back-up.

Agreed.

McGhee didn’t get signed at Middlesbrough for playing right back....

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Heard today this English scout also has an agency. Surely he can drag up better than it appears he has brought in. Of the “English” recruits only 4 started yesterday. The two CH’s, TOE and Lewis. Dallison for me is the only one I think is the standard required. I like the look of Greenwood. Sammut and Turner sat on the bench and they have not convinced either. Hardly a great record so far.

Haber and Irving look like last minute “oh shit this group isnt good enough we need a couple of cheap loans” type signings.

It is early but signs are not great IMO. However if we were all honest with this amount of signings a good few were always going to be failures anyway.

Of the Scottish signings the keeper looks fine as do Irving and Haber. Froxy not kicked a ball yet and Paton is nothing special. The least said about Petra the better.

All adds up to at best a mixed bag or if you are being unkind a crock of shit.

I wonder how much input Hartley had with these signings if any at all.

Can I ask a question. You seem fairly level headed so what's your honest opinion on Hartley so far? 

I disagree with McGhee at centre back. Personally I think he'd be a liability due to his liking to run out with the ball. You can do that in a 3 man defence but not if your playing 2 at CB. For me RB will be his best position for us as it lets him get forward

That’s because he was in a 3 man defence????

He’s not played CB in a 2 yet.

That’s because he was in a 3 man defence????

He’s not played CB in a 2 yet.
I can only go on what I've seen from him.

Reality is that he will most likely be playing RB this season. Hartley obviously thinks he can do a job there and decided against bringing another right back in

Can I ask a question. You seem fairly level headed so what's your honest opinion on Hartley so far? 

I find it incredible that you think that Hartley has little or no say in the players the club is signing....

Guest Back Post Misses
One league game in and "the English scout" is being given pelters. Deary me. 

We have had 5 games. Outside Dallison and Greenwood who is an upgrade on the team near the end of last season from the English players?

TOE/Sibbald?

Lewis/Jak

Turner/Nelson

Brough/Robson

Too many on here have tinted specs on IMO. The best signings so far are the last minute loans in Haber and Irving. That tells me Hartley knows he is short and had to do something pretty quickly. Of course if you think Irving and Haber were targets from the start.

We gambled everything on this route. Yes it is early but I have seen very little in those 5 games to tell me we either got most of the players we actually targeted or the cash we are offering the quality that has come in is all we can afford.

Let’s not forget this planning started last November as per Hartley at last years AGM.

Guest Back Post Misses

Hartley would have all the say IMO.

Jury out still for me on Hartley. I think he over complicates things and tinkers too much with one formation to the next sometimes 2/3 times in a game.

I said last week no c**t would predict yesterday’s team selection or formation and was proven correct. It will be the same next Saturday. Even if we were doing well I think we will always have that to contend with. To make three changes in defence because his preferred LB was injured was utterly bizarre.

Guest Back Post Misses
You find it incredible do you? :lol:
The scout probably had more of an input than Hartley. Incredible I know.

The way I am sure it works or should is Hartley tells the scout what he wants the scout recommends and Hartley then looks himself before committing

I don't doubt the 'biggest budget ever' claim(even if it's not a huge increase) but there's only so far any budget can stretch at our level when you have at least 3 first team players(Harris, McKee, Shepherd) and probably more(O'Hara, Froxy and possibly now Sammut) being paid to contribute nothing.

There will always be players out of favour with any manager but a club our size simply can't continue with these constant fallings out and players being sidelined or 'not in the first team plans'. We can't afford to have players on probably close to £1k a week not in the first team plans.

Joe Mckee isn't the greatest player in the world but I've seen nothing so far to suggest he's any worse than TOE or Paton.

Edited by EdiBairn

16 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I don't doubt the 'biggest budget ever' claim(even if it's not a huge increase) but there's only so far any budget can stretch at our level when you have at least 3 first team players(Harris, McKee, Shepherd) and probably more(O'Hara, Froxy and possibly now Sammut) being paid to contribute nothing.

There will always be players out of favour with any manager but a club our size simply can't continue with these constant fallings out and players being sidelined or 'not in the first team plans'. We can't afford to have players on probably close to £1k a week not in the first team plans.

Joe Mckee isn't the greatest player in the world but I've seen nothing so far to suggest he's any worse than TOE or Paton.

You keep going on about these alleged fallings  out. Put your money where your mouth is. How do you know there have been fallings out?

18 minutes ago, Rugster said:

You keep going on about these alleged fallings  out. Put your money where your mouth is. How do you know there have been fallings out?

There were well- publicised fallings out (or communication stopping) between Hartley and Miller, Kerr, Loy and Taiwo last season, which resulted in those players being suddenly sidelined(and in Taiwo's case, banned from even attending the last game of the season). We now have a number of players who featured heavily last season or who have just been signed who are now all of a sudden nowhere to be seen. It's not rocket science as to why that might be.

There's also now strong rumours emanating from the club that Hartley and Sammut have fallen out.

Edited by EdiBairn

Guest Back Post Misses
It's far too early to comment. I've seen us play once this season. 

Seen all the competitive games.

IMO some of these are 100% not the upgrade in quality promised

25 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

No offence but so far you have hartley fall out with players even when they have been in touch with supporters to say they have been injured so unless you have concrete evidence that hartley has fell out with anyone or your calling said player with the exception of McKee, Harris and Sheps aka yourself what do you suggest he does names every player we have on the team sheet to prove there is no fall outs, but with your constant droning on about all things hatred of Hartley and his so called constant falling outs you may feel at home here where you can join like minded people of moaning about all things Falkirk.

http://www.onef.co.uk

Its the 1st game of the season and already your calling for hartleys head we have had 15 new players we have effectively played what 7 or 8 games together or at least 11 of them have barring the later signings some players are still trying to get match fit Haber and Rees for 2 of them.

as for the fallings out 2 of them were were apparently disruptive given the fact those 2 are approaching the end of their footballing careers and progressing to the next obvious level i.e. coaching or management and given the clubs previous stance of giving unproven managers a chance there were a few rumours going about at the time of Houston sacking or prior 2 it the end of the day you have only those players word.   Taiwo still started a good few games prior to being released and as for Loy his issues off the field may have contributed to any fall outs so what you have basically done is add 2 and 2 and probably came up with 5

Guest Back Post Misses
I don't doubt the 'biggest budget ever' claim(even if it's not a huge increase)

It was utter tripe.

Our first season down we had O’Brien, Olejnik, Scobbie, McLean, Twaddle, Finnegan, Flynn and Mark Miller.

Everyone on these wages would be more than our highest player now. The amount we spent on players that year nearly put us out of business

We have had 5 games. Outside Dallison and Greenwood who is an upgrade on the team near the end of last season from the English players?

TOE/Sibbald?
Lewis/Jak
Turner/Nelson
Brough/Robson

Too many on here have tinted specs on IMO. The best signings so far are the last minute loans in Haber and Irving. That tells me Hartley knows he is short and had to do something pretty quickly. Of course if you think Irving and Haber were targets from the start.

We gambled everything on this route. Yes it is early but I have seen very little in those 5 games to tell me we either got most of the players we actually targeted or the cash we are offering the quality that has come in is all we can afford.

Let’s not forget this planning started last November as per Hartley at last years AGM.
Don't think it's fair to compare Lewis for Jak when it's not our choice that he isn't here this season.

Also it's early to compare TOE with Sibbs but I can guarantee in some people's eyes he will never be as good as Sibbs was no matter what he does