The Falkirk FC Thread

I really, really disliked Mark Durnan btw. I grew increasingly seething each week he started games. Can't remember who I felt should start instead, and no Inclination to go and look. 

I remember him getting into it with a fan up at Forfar when we were a goal up. We were getting ridden senseless and absolutely were lucky to get out of dodge with the points that day, but Durnan felt the the need to remonstrate with a critical fan because we were a goal up. A p***k. 

The best 3 league one defences in the past decade by goals conceded per game:

1. Rangers 2013-14 (won league by 39 points)

2. Dunfermline 2022-23 (won league by 14 points)

3. Falkirk 2019-2020 (lost by 0.03 PPG after league was cancelled)

Absolutely laughable that people are turning their nose up at that defence. 

36 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We are but three years from having a team that scored 1.93 goals per game and conceded 0.64 (i.e., our attack was significantly better than Dunfermline’s attack this season and our defence was slightly worse) and we lost on the title due to a combination of (A) Ray McKinnon, (B) Throwing away a 2-0 half time lead at Kirkcaldy and (C) The lead being cancelled and PPG applied when we’d have easily won it if the last eight games had been played.

IMO we should be looking to build a squad that resembles that of the 19/20 season. I don’t mean in terms of actual players but the calibre of players 

(D) Charlie Telfer getting sent off after 15 mins of the home game v Raith 

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

If memory serves right, barring ourselves and Rovers, that division was laughably bad. We horsed teams by 4 to 6 regularly.

Been saying this a lot in the discussions this season. League is far more competent now. Part of the reason why the relentless points gained at stage X or stage Y comparisons to various other managers were so silly IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Been saying this a lot in the discussions this season. League is far more competent now. Part of the reason why the relentless points gained at stage X or stage Y comparisons to various other managers were so silly IMO. 

Indeed from the 19/20 season 5 of the teams are now in league 2 - East Fife, Dumbarton, Peterhead, Stranraer and Forfar. Clyde possibly joining that list.

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The best 3 league one defences in the past decade by goals conceded per game:

1. Rangers 2013-14 (won league by 39 points)

2. Dunfermline 2022-23 (won league by 14 points)

3. Falkirk 2019-2020 (lost by 0.03 PPG after league was cancelled)

Absolutely laughable that people are turning their nose up at that defence. 

And that we played 8 games less than the other 2 teams mentioned surely factors. Are you suggesting we would have kept 8 clean sheets in a row for the last games? I'd suggest the quality of the other teams in that league also played a part in your stats, not our defence. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

We are but three years from having a team that scored 1.93 goals per game and conceded 0.64 (i.e., our attack was significantly better than Dunfermline’s attack this season and our defence was slightly worse) and we lost on the title due to a combination of (A) Ray McKinnon, (B) Throwing away a 2-0 half time lead at Kirkcaldy and (C) The lead being cancelled and PPG applied when we’d have easily won it if the last eight games had been played.

IMO we should be looking to build a squad that resembles that of the 19/20 season. I don’t mean in terms of actual players but the calibre of players 

I'm still raging that we were robbed of a last day title party in Falkirk!

2 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I'm still raging that we were robbed of a last day title party in Falkirk!

I think we all are but it’s now down to us to get it right this season and give the fans this day. I sense it’s on the horizon but the decision making in the next few weeks is pivotal. Let’s hope that we can do just that and get out this godforsaken league already.

33 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

And that we played 8 games less than the other 2 teams mentioned surely factors. Are you suggesting we would have kept 8 clean sheets in a row for the last games? I'd suggest the quality of the other teams in that league also played a part in your stats, not our defence. 

Goals conceded PER GAME

We effectively conceded 23 over a 36 game season. The Pats conceded 21 this year and Rangers conceded 18.

Partick and Cove also conceded only 18 in 20/21 but only played 22 games, so they had a worse defence than we did the previous year. 

Assume we’ll see an announcement today or tomorrow. Not too many I’d be gutted to lose tbh, including some of those still signed on but we can’t keep churning squads every summer. That said, we need a far better starting X1 with most that we are retaining, being on the bench/squad players next season. 

47 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

... including some of those still signed on but we can’t keep churning squads every summer. That said, we need a far better starting X1 with most that we are retaining, being on the bench/squad players next season. 

Agree. 

You can see from the squad photo at the beginning of this season gone how we have got to where we are - A miss-mash of M&M, Holt/Sheerin, Rennie and early McGlynn signings highlighting the various strategies the club has followed depending on which way the wind was blowing.

The short-termism and pivot to long-termism i.e. Brad McKay has created such an imbalance that we need to find a comfortable, middle-ground.

Edited by Blame Me

Seen a lot of people asking for an experienced centre back to come in and play beside Donaldson. Having a look around who might be available this summer there doesn't really look to be any decent options fitting that mould.

I'd go the opposite way, Lewis Neilson on loan from Hearts. He was a stand out for us the last time he was on loan, adds a bit of power in there and is also extremely comfortable on the ball which we need given McGlynn's style of play. Can also play right back if needed.

Edited by FFC 1876

39 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Goals conceded PER GAME

We effectively conceded 23 over a 36 game season. The Pats conceded 21 this year and Rangers conceded 18.

Partick and Cove also conceded only 18 in 20/21 but only played 22 games, so they had a worse defence than we did the previous year. 

Na it's 8 games, not one or 2. How the hell can you say we effectively conceded 23 over a 36 game period. Far too many variables in an 8 game time frame to suggest the trend would stay the same. 

Good try though Mr Durnan

Just now, Believe The Hype said:

Na it's 8 games, not one or 2. How the hell can you say we effectively conceded 23 over a 36 game period. Far too many variables in an 8 game time frame to suggest the trend would stay the same. 

Good try though Mr Durnan

Buckys Da' IMHO