The Falkirk FC Thread

10 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Got to be honest here I hadn’t realised that we had a “Give Us The League Now Brigade”.

I would say the overwhelming view is that we are playing great stuff but it is clearly going to be a two horse race for the title.

Seeing this said about us from the Hamilton fans online.

They are under the impression they are the "sleeper" team who will quietly go about their business and see us off in the head-to-heads. 

We  must quell that notion a week-on-Saturday after we've hopefully seen off Montrose this weekend coming.

I have not seen a single poster on here making any such ludicrous claims that we have the league in the bag. In fact, I would suggest that after the last 5 seasons of pain that the exact opposite is true, we won’t believe that we have won the league until we see the flag flying over TFS next season (IF, and I mean IF, we are able to achieve that).  And, it may not just be between us and Hamilton, Montrose seem to be on a bit of a resurgence and both ourselves and Hamilton will inevitably have a dip in form at some time during the season. We have a long, long way to go and it will be nip and tuck right up until the very last day.

19 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I have not seen a single poster on here making any such ludicrous claims that we have the league in the bag. In fact, I would suggest that after the last 5 seasons of pain that the exact opposite is true, we won’t believe that we have won the league until we see the flag flying over TFS next season (IF, and I mean IF, we are able to achieve that).  And, it may not just be between us and Hamilton, Montrose seem to be on a bit of a resurgence and both ourselves and Hamilton will inevitably have a dip in form at some time during the season. We have a long, long way to go and it will be nip and tuck right up until the very last day.

One poster on here said  this on Saturday evening, “I can't see us throwing it away this year. Hamilton aren't financed like Cove we're and just aren't like Dunfermline. I can't see past us for the league.”.

Not quite a majority opinion I don’t think, but unfortunately rival team posters have a tendency to think we all post as one and consequently we all now believe it’s in the bag.

I tend to agree with the majority on here that let’s wait and see how things lie after the Hamilton game. Even then we know that we’ve not exactly been consistent over a whole season and tended to have major dips in performance. Far too many things that can go wrong…even if we beat Hamilton, to believe it’s in the bag this early….

Indeed. I'm reminded of 13/14 when we pumped eventual champions Dundee twice at home, and STILL ended up losing in the play offs to Accies after finishing 3rd.

Holt fucked us that season too, by not recruiting from a position of strength in January.

I think I hate that p***k more than any employee we've ever had.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Indeed. I'm reminded of 13/14 when we pumped eventual champions Dundee twice at home, and STILL ended up losing in the play offs to Accies after finishing 3rd.

Holt fucked us that season too, by not recruiting from a position of strength in January.

I just checked, we actually beat them 3 times and drew once that season. They also lost a quarter of their games that season but finished on 69 pts, Hamilton 67 and us 66. 

We just need to do whatever it takes to outpoint Hamilton this season (though I’m not dismissing other clubs as potential challengers).

27 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Aye that was our best chance of getting up. Holt was a fanny but  mind even he still got us far closer than that clown Presley who never got us near going up. 

27 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Best end to a season ever. 

We were in pole position to win the league and bottled it away to Dumbarton in the penultimate game, with player/manager Alex Neil getting sent off in a 4-1 defeat. 

Following week we need Dundee to drop points and us to win by 8 goals. We beat Morton 10-2 in the most ridiculous afternoon of football I've been part of. We miss out on winning the league as Dundee win their final game 2-1.

Enter the play offs where we beat you lot (Ali Crawford wonder goal if I remember correctly at Falkirk) then we score a last minute goal at Easter Road to take Hibs to extra time, before beating them on penalties for promotion.

God, I don't think my 10 years older heart could take another end of season like that. Let's just hope one of us (Accies) canters the league.

1 minute ago, Accies1 said:

Best end to a season ever. 

We were in pole position to win the league and bottled it away to Dumbarton in the penultimate game, with player/manager Alex Neil getting sent off in a 4-1 defeat. 

Following week we need Dundee to drop points and us to win by 8 goals. We beat Morton 10-2 in the most ridiculous afternoon of football I've been part of. We miss out on winning the league as Dundee win their final game 2-1.

Enter the play offs where we beat you lot (Ali Crawford wonder goal if I remember correctly at Falkirk) then we score a last minute goal at Easter Road to take Hibs to extra time, before beating them on penalties for promotion.

God, I don't think my 10 years older heart could take another end of season like that. Let's just hope one of us (Accies) canters the league.

You must be, MUST BE, suspicious of known "accidental end of season collapse" merchants Morton going down like that?

15 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Missed that one. Good luck to him. That shirt sponsor gives me the shivers though! 

Bit of a strange one that. I'd presumed hed packed the game in entirely for now and yet he ships up at Blantyre. Wonder if it's a financial thing . Probably will earn a lot more from a full time job and playing for Blantyre than a  full time modern apprentice with us.

40 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Also roberts spitting out the dummy getting sent off against alloa didn’t help, for me 3 points that f’d things up.

Whilst I totally disagree with the notion that we’ve won the league already, it doesn’t overly bother me that some posters think like that.

Watching us play this season with the improvements McGlynn has made to the squad and the form guys like McCann, Nesbitt and Morrison are showing us what gives me confidence. We are a far, far better team this season than last season.

This isn’t a procession this season - Hamilton are a worthy opponent and we’ll drop points to other teams too.

McGlynn won’t let the players think it’s a procession either - the players feet will be planted firmly on the ground.

47 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Whilst I totally disagree with the notion that we’ve won the league already, it doesn’t overly bother me that some posters think like that.

Watching us play this season with the improvements McGlynn has made to the squad and the form guys like McCann, Nesbitt and Morrison are showing us what gives me confidence. We are a far, far better team this season than last season.

This isn’t a procession this season - Hamilton are a worthy opponent and we’ll drop points to other teams too.

McGlynn won’t let the players think it’s a procession either - the players feet will be planted firmly on the ground.

It's nowhere near a certainty that we will end up as Champions this season but achieving three league wins out of four against Hamilton would go a long towards it. A week on Saturday will be a big test, let's hope we turn up.     

This was the table at the end of January that season. We sold Jay Fulton to Swansea and all Holt had to do was sign an adequate replacement. Instead he brought in Joe Chalmers and Mark Beck - neither were midfielders and both were shite, the useless dickhead. It felt particularly sore given Hibs Hearts and Sevco arrived in the division the following season which effectively wrote off our promotion chances for another 3 years 

20230925_131320.thumb.jpg.936d6cbd8747a14376f086624526ec94.jpg

22 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

This was the table at the end of January that season. We sold Jay Fulton to Swansea and all Holt had to do was sign an adequate replacement. Instead he brought in Joe Chalmers and Mark Beck - neither were midfielders and both were shite, the useless dickhead. It felt particularly sore given Hibs Hearts and Sevco arrived in the division the following season which effectively wrote off our promotion chances for another 3 years 

Beck was decent but yes he wasn't a midfielder.

29 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Joe Chalmers is a midfielder, just that Holt thought it would be a good idea to play him at LB!

49 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

The period after the window was patchy (something like 2 wins, 2 draws out of 8), the run-we recovered but fell a little short.

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Half the teams on this table have either had a really shit time or a really good time i mean just look at Cowdenbeath and then compare them to Livi’s trajectory complete opposite’s