The Falkirk FC Thread

Was surprised to see Ola get a contract as McGlynn didn’t seem to fancy him last season but does appear to be some short memories for those who rated him highly and now happy to now see him away?

Thought he barely got an opportunity this season and on the few starts he had good performances against Queens Park and Ayr, whilst also producing a superb goal vs Alloa. 

The biggest thing I thought was that he seemed quite lethargic in matches but definitely had something to add to the team. 

Edited by Dave McInally

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Still can't quite understand where Tait (as an attacking midfielder) fits in.  Hopefully won't result in unnecessary tinkering to get him into the first XI.  He, like Ross, needs to earn his place.  

Just seems to be Lawal's replacement I think.

19 minutes ago, SuperTuesday said:

I could point that out in every keeper.

6 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Not as frequent as whats happening currently.

I think Long's biggest fault is coming for balls that he has little chance of getting. Other than the aberration against Dundee Utd, I think every mistake has come down this. If he could cut that out I think he could become a very good keeper.

Since we're discussing possible incoming signings, would we accept Jamie MacDonald as a more experienced keeper option? Noticed he hasn't even been in the matchday squad their last few matches, and I know we were looking at him last summer. Personally I'd happily take him and send Long back to Lincoln.

Zak Rudden has been told he can leave Dundee. I'd take him too.

Arguably all we'd need is a CB for cover, but I think a GK and a striker are more pressing concerns.

Edited by Raybowski89

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think Long's biggest fault is coming for balls that he has little chance of getting. Other than the aberration against Dundee Utd, I think every mistake has come down this. If he could cut that out I think he could become a very good keeper.

If he starts in Saturday, I hope theres been plenty of set piece training this week.

Apart from a couple of magic moments I’ve struggled to see a place for Ola in our starting X1. 

He rarely looked energised to get up & down the pitch and looked like he couldn’t tackle a fish supper. Good luck to him but no loss for me he’s away. 

2 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Apart from a couple of magic moments I’ve struggled to see a place for Ola in our starting X1. 

He rarely looked energised to get up & down the pitch and looked like he couldn’t tackle a fish supper. Good luck to him but no loss for me he’s away. 

Hmmm, I’ll let your own words do the talking ‘Good energy and good buzz about him’ I believe! 😉 

https://youtu.be/4Qn9Nh0e6P4?si=UAjt4kEWssr_z4A5

1 minute ago, RC55 FFC said:

I suppose he was a bit of a luxury player but I always thought he was a good option to come on to unlock a defence when needed and he usually gave us some good entertainment too.

24 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Was surprised to see Ola get a contract as McGlynn didn’t seem to fancy him last season but does appear to be some short memories for those who rated him highly and now happy to now see him away?

Thought he barely got an opportunity this season and on the few starts he had good performances against Queens Park and Ayr, whilst also producing a superb goal vs Alloa. 

The biggest thing I thought was that he seemed quite lethargic in matches but definitely had something to add to the team. 

9 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Hmmm, I’ll let your own words do the talking ‘Good energy and good buzz about him’ I believe! 😉 

https://youtu.be/4Qn9Nh0e6P4?si=UAjt4kEWssr_z4A5

People are allowed to change their minds on a player you know.

11 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

People are allowed to change their minds on a player you know.

Ofcourse but also ok to ask how those opinions changed, especially since Lawal has barely had a sniff since.

Edited by Dave McInally

7 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Ofcourse but also ok to ask how those opinions changed, especially since Lawal has barely had a sniff since. 

he hasn't had a sniff because other players have stepped up and the bar has been raised, he may have looked like an option early on this season but not now.

Just now, falkirkzombie said:

he hasn't had a sniff because other players have stepped up and the bar has been raised, he may have looked like an option early on this season but not now.

Yet, after showcasing his talent when starting against Edinburgh and lastly scoring against Clyde on 19/11/22, he’s only started in 4 matches for us.

One shortly after in a 6-0 win vs Wick when he was subbed at Halftime, then  at the end of the season when he scored and assisted vs Peterhead in a 3-1 win and the other two this season vs Ayr and Queens Park where he put in a good performance against teams a division above and won the penalty that seen us dispatch Queens Park 1-0. 

Just seems unfair to go from a player who’s due more starts and want to see his contact extended to one people are happy to see leave. 

Business so far in terms of outgoings are ones that I expected, I doubt it would happen but Long going back down the road and being replaced with an experienced keeper to be back up to Hogarth would do for me. No idea who would be out there to do this role right enough with McGloves away to livi. 

Allan will score goals for Clyde and Ola hopefully helps Cove take some points off Hamilton would be mission complete.

Just now, Dave McInally said:

Yet, after showcasing his talent when starting against Edinburgh and lastly scoring against Clyde on 19/11/22, he’s only started in 4 matches for us.

One shortly after in a 6-0 win vs Wick when he was subbed at Halftime, then  at the end of the season when he scored and assisted vs Peterhead in a 3-1 win and the other two this season vs Ayr and Queens Park where he put in a good performance against teams a division above and won the penalty that seen us dispatch Queens Park 1-0. 

Just seems unfair to go from a player who’s due more starts and want to see his contact extended to one people are happy to see leave. 

Much of this for me. 

Oliver, Allan; Ageyman and even McGinn to an extent afforded minutes when their previous outings hadn't been stellar or were playing through pain and yet we couldn't find minutes for a player who needed development as we all saw.

Regardless he's gone, we move on.

17 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

He also trains every day alongside his fellow players with an experienced and respected coaching staff watching him and plays in reserve games. The flashes of ability have been there but he quite obviously hasn’t done enough to deserve a game. We have a very competitive squad which is probably a big part of why we are doing so well yet other players have still forced there way into the starting 11 by grabbing the chance in any minutes they have been given giving the manager no option. Last season McCann done this ousting Mackie who appeared to be preferred initially , this season Millar or Nesbit were not getting a steady game early doors or through the league cup group but have now made themselves nailed on to start forcing Alfie out who started really well and they’ll know if they aren’t consistent somebody else will take they’re place. After all this time if Lawal hasn’t been able to get a run of games it’s purely down to him nobody else, there’s obviously something missing with him despite a few flashes of raw ability. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

He also trains every day alongside his fellow players with coaching staff watching him and plays in reserve games. The flashes of ability have been there but he quite obviously hasn’t done enough to deserve a game. We have a very competitive squad which is probably a big part of why we are doing so well yet other players have forced there way into the starting 11 by grabbing the chance in any minutes they have been given giving the manager no option. Neither Millar or Nesbit were getting a steady game early doors or through the league cup groups but have now made themselves nailed on to start forcing Alfie out who started really well and they’ll know if they aren’t consistent somebody else will take they’re place. After all this time if Lawal hasn’t been able to get a run of games it’s purely down to him nobody else, there’s obviously something missing with him despite a few flashes of raw ability. 

That’s fair enough on their behalf but then surely need to question why he was given an extension. In terms of fans though we can only judge on what’s on the pitch. If you were happy for him to get an extension then why would you agree he’s poor given the relatively little game time he’s had since? 

Sad to see Ola go - nice fella and looked like he had it. But if he isn’t anywhere near the manager’s plans and isn’t going to get a run, then probably the right move. Hope he fulfils his potential against Accies. 

11 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

That’s fair enough on their behalf but then surely need to question why he was given an extension. In terms of fans though we can only judge on what’s on the pitch. If you were happy for him to get an extension then why would you agree he’s poor given the relatively little game time he’s had since? 

I’d say it was worth a punt he would develope given the flashes he’d shown and the fact he’s probably one of our lower earners, I’d also say as a fan looking at McGlynns recruitment and how he’s improved a number of players so far it makes sense to trust his judgement as he’s seeing the player day in day out. The manager was most likely undecided end of last season but given there is raw ability there gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping he’d kick on with another deal, he just hasn’t grasped that opportunity unfortunately. Reports from fans who have watched some of the reserve games haven’t been great either. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.