The Falkirk FC Thread

Difficult to judge things on the basis of a friendly but a decent game. Hibs much poorer than expected in the first half, with Falkirk deserving the 1-0 lead. Our defence looked comfortable and decent movement up front. Second half, and the changes showed how thin our squad is, with both 1st choice centre-backs being off. Draw probably about right in the proverbial game of two halves.

Rhys Bennett easily our stand-out player, although I thought Miller, Duffie, Dods and Kingsley all had good games (good to see more of Kingsley than a two-footed lunge!). Not sure about the new forward, he had some good clearing headers at set-pieces but that's about it.

Oh, and the keeper looked good.

Difficult to judge things on the basis of a friendly but a decent game. Hibs much poorer than expected in the first half, with Falkirk deserving the 1-0 lead. Our defence looked comfortable and decent movement up front. Second half, and the changes showed how thin our squad is, with both 1st choice centre-backs being off. Draw probably about right in the proverbial game of two halves.

Rhys Bennett easily our stand-out player, although I thought Miller, Duffie, Dods and Kingsley all had good games (good to see more of Kingsley than a two-footed lunge!). Not sure about the new forward, he had some good clearing headers at set-pieces but that's about it.

Oh, and the keeper looked good.

Agree with this.

Edited by ditots

Yes - agree. Although do not think we have the staying power for a complete season, and thus not promotion challengers, optimisitic that we are not relegation candidates.

Got a sneaky feeling that Scobbie is away too. His complete exclusion from the squad last night and the fact that Matty Flynn was played a left back against Preston suggests, to me anyway, that we have a suitor for Scobbie with Flynn being lined up as the straight replacement.

It's a good cost saving measure as all the kit the club bought for Ryan Flynn can be passed straight over to Matty Flynn.

I also think that bennett will only be with us till January. Not only is he the class defender in the first division, he would probably be the class defender in the premier league. If he played for one of the old firm just now, they would be talking international caps and sainthoods

I also think that bennett will only be with us till January. Not only is he the class defender in the first division, he would probably be the class defender in the premier league. If he played for one of the old firm just now, they would be talking international caps and sainthoods

Sorry to piss on your chips but the guy's played what...2 or 3 times?

I remember Higginbottom ripping last season's friendly opponents a new one. It's far too early to make bold statements like that and in true Falkirk fashion, should he fail to live up to hype like this, we will end up making his life miserable.

Scobbie was injured so any talk of a move is premature.

I will say this again though, the keeper looks the real deal. I hope I am not regretting this as the season goes on.

Sorry to piss on your chips but the guy's played what...2 or 3 times?

I remember Higginbottom ripping last season's friendly opponents a new one. It's far too early to make bold statements like that and in true Falkirk fashion, should he fail to live up to hype like this, we will end up making his life miserable.

Spot on. Friendly matches too... let's see how good he is after the first round of league games.

Also, I hesitate to say this, as some mugs took Twaddle, but there is no danger anyone else will want Scobbie, unless Hughes gets a new club.

Edited by H_B

Scobbie was injured so any talk of a move is premature.

I will say this again though, the keeper looks the real deal. I hope I am not regretting this as the season goes on.

I was gonna say to previous comment as he limped off on Saturday, so it doesnt take inspector Clouseau to work that out

The keeper does look like we have a good un, tho I have thot that in many pre seasons with the 20 or so I have seen over the last decade.... :ph34r: Altho good saves last night, I thot the majority were hit straight down the middle at him also he seemed a bit awkward when ball was played back to him to his feet, conditions may have had a part tho.....I still will hold judgement till season is on its way

Very impressed by us once again.

In my eyes, Hibs have a LOT more to worry about than we do.

Considering there real seasons starts this weekend yep, O'Connor who was a class act back in the day looked like he would fit in well with the duds that are in the 1st div, Sproule too...

I do hope we have enough cash to get Flynn in tho, I have made it clear that I never rated Twaddle, first time or second time but in two bit part games, I see more prospect with Flynn than I ever did with Twaddle

A big worry so far is how we seem to have crashed and burned in the last 10mins of the the last two games and lack of attacking options, hopefully we can get someone in but its not looking very good on that front......

I haven't seen us play yet this season (hoping to change that in Brechin), but from what I've read/heard about the last couple of games it sounds fairly encouraging. With the team so different from last season now I think we should all be giving the players encouragement and a chance from the off, regardless of our opinions on the manager/people running the club.

Olejnik, Marr (Duffie 46), McLean, Khalis (Deuchar 61), Scobbie, Flynn, O'Brien, Millar, Compton (Finnigan 46), Higginbotham, Stewart. Subs Not Used: Barclay, Bloom.

This is the team who started the first game of last season, only the ones in bold still at the club.

I think the changes will actually do us good this season.