The Falkirk FC Thread

Connor greene was outstanding winning headers against white and not afraid to put the boot in. Not seen much of mcgeever and before today I would have said he should be starting games but he was murder today. I agree with the fact biabi would me a good impact sub but we need another one or two(depending on the taylor situation) strikers. Does shepperd naturally play upfront because he didn't look like a striker today. After todays game id like to see our starting line up as:

Mcgovern

Duffie vaulks greene kingsley

Durojaiye

Alston Jay Grant

Taylor *new striker*

Mcgrandles

Sibbs

Botti

Faulds

Bowman

Nothing to do with Vaulks and everything to do with use of the word dece.

Ah, right. I like it imo.

Quite a good run out with a couple of the younger boys impressing. MotM for us being Kingsley IMO. A centre back has to be a priority; Flynn is a bombscare.

What age is Botti? He's a facking unit.

He's just 18 believe it or not.

Was impressed with Connor Greene, Vaulks, Botti, Olu, Kingsley and Shepherd (Was that the ginger boy upfront?)

But Flynn, Sibbald and to a certain extent McGeever looked poor. Then again it's only the second game of pre-season and these games are mostly for fitness.

Shepherd was the ginger lad up front, aye. Don't really like the look of him tbh. Far too lightweight and not even particularly quick. Still, he's only 16/17.

Memorable moments for me in this match were first half Boti in free space moving away from the Stirling defender like he was on a motorbike. He clearly has pace but still a bit raw. I actually thought the first half performance was best, which was a bit odd seeing as only 2 first team regulars featured. "Trialist" Number 4 impressed, get him signed up! Taylor didn't really receive any service. Any from that 11 looked capable of at least providing decent cover for the usual starters.

Second half a great run and goal from Kingsley, Alston clearing the ball of the refs face, a neat finish from White after a clever pass from Flynn.

A good run out and fitness exercise a chance to look over the entire squad. Obvious issues needing addressed, who at centre half and need an additional striker. Not comfortable with Flynn or McGeever at back, Duffie doesn't inspire confidence in a defensive sense either, Vaulks looks the part but lacks height. No one mature enough in stiking position to provide support for Taylor...

No 4 was Olumide, and he is already signed up.

Number 5 in the first half played well, don't know who he is, looked tiny but good in the air and a bit hard, which was good to see

Connor Greene. Yes, very impressive.

McGovern

Duffie - Flynn - McGeever/Vaulks - Kingsley

J. Fulton - Alston - Ollie - Sibbald

Taylor - Botti

That 11 is good enough to compete but we really need some cover.

Surely we should be expecting a bit more than just competing for fecks sake. Last season we ended up 25 points behind partick. I reckon unless we invest in the team we'll be even further behind dundee this season. 3 of 4 signings needed minimum.

Surely we should be expecting a bit more than just competing for fecks sake. Last season we ended up 25 points behind partick. I reckon unless we invest in the team we'll be even further behind dundee this season. 3 of 4 signings needed minimum.

When I said 'compete' I meant at the top of the league, I think we need a midfielder and a striker to have a squad capable of doing so. You know as well as I do that we don't NEED and WON'T get 4 signings.

We need a decent centrehalf an experienced head in the middle of the park and another striker whose at least played a few seasons of pro football before we'll get anywhere near competing with the likes of dundee. As i said we were a country mile behind partick last season and dundee will be at least as good as them if not better this year. If you dont think we need new signings then im very surprised. The fact that we could be starting the season with one experienced striker is a huge gamble . If taylor got crocked we'd be in big trouble.

First half - Vaulks strolled it, Durojaiye looked like he will be a useful player for us potentially, Taylor barely touched the ball but looked classy when he did.

Second - Kingsley was the best player on the park, Alston, Sibbs and Fulton showed their class. Flynn was horrific.

I don't get this playing Sibbald as a holding midfielder, for me his best attributes are his vision, dribbling and passing and he should be playing behind the striker. If Holt is intent on using a 4-1-3-2 I'm worried, the midfield will be overrun I think.

If that's our lot with the squad then we need a second striker, Biabi and Shepherd are very far away from being ready for the first team, particularly Shepherd. Is Small injured?

Flynn at centre back terrifies me, f**k knows how many points he'll cost us this year.

Our strongest XI for me is:

McGovern

Duffie McGeever Vaulks Kingsley

Olu Fulton

Alston Sibbs McGrandles

Taylor

Taylor will go so we need at least one striker. McGeever I don't feel is ready, we need someone else at CB because Flynn is a bombscare. The tough decision is two of Grant/Sibbs/McGrandles.

Bit of a ramble all over the place but those are my thoughts after yesterday.

First half - Vaulks strolled it, Durojaiye looked like he will be a useful player for us potentially, Taylor barely touched the ball but looked classy when he did.

Second - Kingsley was the best player on the park, Alston, Sibbs and Fulton showed their class. Flynn was horrific.

I don't get this playing Sibbald as a holding midfielder, for me his best attributes are his vision, dribbling and passing and he should be playing behind the striker. If Holt is intent on using a 4-1-3-2 I'm worried, the midfield will be overrun I think.

If that's our lot with the squad then we need a second striker, Biabi and Shepherd are very far away from being ready for the first team, particularly Shepherd. Is Small injured?

Flynn at centre back terrifies me, f**k knows how many points he'll cost us this year.

Our strongest XI for me is:

McGovern

Duffie McGeever Vaulks Kingsley

Olu Fulton

Alston Sibbs McGrandles

Taylor

Taylor will go so we need at least one striker. McGeever I don't feel is ready, we need someone else at CB because Flynn is a bombscare. The tough decision is two of Grant/Sibbs/McGrandles.

Bit of a ramble all over the place but those are my thoughts after yesterday.

Agree in the most part, although I think Botti is ready for the first team and Grant should be playing instead of McGrandles.

We need a decent centrehalf an experienced head in the middle of the park and another striker whose at least played a few seasons of pro football before we'll get anywhere near competing with the likes of dundee. As i said we were a country mile behind partick last season and dundee will be at least as good as them if not better this year. If you dont think we need new signings then im very surprised. The fact that we could be starting the season with one experienced striker is a huge gamble . If taylor got crocked we'd be in big trouble.

I've never said we don't need new signings, I've said wee don't NEED 3 or 4. 2 would suffice, providing they are both good signings.

Well i think 3 minimum. Flynns a liability at the back. We have no real experience in the middle and again if taylor got crocked we'd be lucky to make mid table. 3 would give us the playoffs but i reckon we'll need more than that to win the title.

Agree in the most part, although I think Botti is ready for the first team and Grant should be playing instead of McGrandles.

What is Botti being ready for the first team based on? Anyone who watched the reserves regularly last season said he wasn't a standout, he was outperformed by Shepherd against Queens Park and he certainly didn't show me anything on Saturday.

I really do hope that's the case Marshmallo. The person that told me was the same person that told me way back in November we were getting an artificial pitch laid for this season so its a pretty reliable source.

This is the season to show a glimmer of ambition and go for the league, just cant see us competing with what we have at the moment!