The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Pretty pleased to hear our experimental line up matched up well against the well established second best team in Scotland.

I think I am 2 signings and 2 launchings away from being very happy with the options in all areas.

I just have the feeling we arent going to get a new RB though. New striker and RB would just be grand.

Also, delighted to hear of Paul Paton wrecking GMS. Precisely what he was signed for.

I hope the fact he has a RWB on trial would suggest it is something he is looking at but for me right now the priority has to be upfront as McGhee can easily play at RWB although id prefer him on the left side of the back three.

Paton crunching the other teams creative midfielders makes me a happy hsppy bunny. 

Frox will kick the lazy shit once he realizes how much we all love beardy fuckers that score goals. Hope he gets himself a house soon and settles, staying at Beancross isn't going to help him. 

Holden and Ross would both be shouts for the last dependable RB we had. Duffy was probably a better player on his day, but as his career went on he had less and less days where you could say that. He's now seemingly been a free agent for a full year. Done and dusted, which is a slight shame. 

Harrison and Dallison and McGhee seem a good combo, good to see Brough playing in a back three as well. If Aero is going to keep up with the daft shit, he's going to realise this season that we don't have to play him and he can sit on the bench. 

Brough playing in a back 3 and looking like a bit of a unit pretty much suggests his role in the team is likely to be a combination of that, or LB. But there were calls for us to stick McGhee in at midfield to have a physical presence there. 

It now sounds like Paton, McGhee, Brough or Harrison could do that if wee need it. The defence and midfield seems to be very flexible (with the exception of RB.) 

On that basis, I would agree a striker is top priority. 

But then I remember various attempts to square up the right hand side have included Taiwo playing RM, James Craigen, Fraser fucking Aird, Alex Harris and who could forget Lucas cameo appearance at RB.

SIGN A FUCKING RIGHT BACK MAN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Holden and Ross would both be shouts for the last dependable RB we had. Duffy was probably a better player on his day, but as his career went on he had less and less days where you could say that. He's now seemingly been a free agent for a full year. Done and dusted, which is a slight shame. 

Harrison and Dallison and McGhee seem a good combo, good to see Brough playing in a back three as well. If Aero is going to keep up with the daft shit, he's going to realise this season that we don't have to play him and he can sit on the bench. 

Kieran Duffie’s been at Clyde for the best part of a year now sure he’s signed on for this season as well.

Brough playing in a back 3 and looking like a bit of a unit pretty much suggests his role in the team is likely to be a combination of that, or LB. But there were calls for us to stick McGhee in at midfield to have a physical presence there. 

Brough was definitely playing left-back in a back 4 in the first half yesterday.

He’s a fucking giant though.

Thank f**k, was starting to worry we had signed a dwarf..

image.png.e460313f9b11ff4532cfb9a99a3ee0f5.png

I’d say he was probably our tallest player maybe around 6’4. Stayed back for corners and free-kicks though which I thought was a bit strange.

36 minutes ago, Russ said:

Kieran Duffie’s been at Clyde for the best part of a year now sure he’s signed on for this season as well.

Brough was definitely playing left-back in a back 4 in the first half yesterday.

He’s a fucking giant though.

Safe to say his career is over with 10 games in about four years. 

2600 season tickets sold according to FFC with 500 still left to renew. Some of them are probably included in the 'new' season tickets, but overall encouraging 
I'm guessing most of those 500 won't be renewing now as presumably they would have both protected their seat and taken the early bird pricing. 400-500 is a lot to lose pc wise in a season but very encouraging to see 400 new seasons taken up.

29 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:
2600 season tickets sold according to FFC with 500 still left to renew. Some of them are probably included in the 'new' season tickets, but overall encouraging 

I'm guessing most of those 500 won't be renewing now as presumably they would have both protected their seat and taken the early bird pricing. 400-500 is a lot to lose pc wise in a season but very encouraging to see 400 new seasons taken up.

Hopefully the 500 turn up most weeks and still put the cash in.

I think a good striker being signed asap might be the only thing that gets that figure to 3000. goals was our major issue last season with top scorer having only 7. surprised we've known this for a year and still not lined someone up with only a week till competitive football starts. the jak would be a good start or a well known experienced striker in addition

Was home too late last night to do a proper summary on the game last night and I am now bored at work so i'll fire one out the now for anyone interested in how we got on.  I was really pleased with the balance of the team especially in the first half of the game and it is quite obvious to see Hartley is trying to add as much width as possible to the side with Petra definitely being the main man for that. He had a really good game and showed some quality control and touches in tight space on the wing. It also looked like (at times) like we are going to try and play out from the keeper with Fasan always keen to play it short which I prefer.  Looking at the first half I wouldn't be surprised if McGhee is being looked at as the RWB as the trialist was pretty rotten imo unless there is someone else in the pipeline. Robson was a real threat in spells and was playing really high up most of the game which is pleasing because I haven't seen that consistently since Leahy. Harrison could as someone actually predicted a while back be our diamond in the rough, clearly lacks in pace but is so comfortable on the ball and seemed to always find his man with his balls out from the back. Sammut is a very good passer of the ball and will probably just take a while to get up to the speed of men's football. Paton is clearly a very limited footballer but sounded like a very good leader for the young lads and he absolutely crunched GMS which was quite funny. Froxy is gonna frustrate us all season but there is gonna be flashes of brilliance so I guess we will just have to take the shit that comes with it. Turner looks like Nelson 2.0 but could be just a little bit more clinical and the Trialist striker is just far to lightweight to cut it in this league. Overall was pleasing to watch us compete with a first choice dons side even if it was a friendly, saw enough to make me really optimistic for the season ahead, also downside is a total lack of presence upfront which I hope will be rectified by Hartley before the season starts.

Really surprised that you thought the right back trialist was rotten, I thought he was good and definitely worth another look. Agreed the other guy looked a bit lightweight, looked like a guy we had on loan from Burnley I think a good few years ago, absolutely bugging the hell out of me.

I also disagree with an earlier post that you suggest we played 3 at the back but I was pretty sure it was a 4 and then we switched 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Really surprised that you thought the right back trialist was rotten, I thought he was good and definitely worth another look. Agreed the other guy looked a bit lightweight, looked like a guy we had on loan from Burnley I think a good few years ago, absolutely bugging the hell out of me.

I also disagree with an earlier post that you suggest we played 3 at the back but I was pretty sure it was a 4 and then we switched 2nd half.

I was in the Aberdeen end with my mate so was pretty close to the RWB in the second half, Muirhead was screaming at him and was having to tell him where to stand, just did not look comfortable at all defensively. Too me in the first half it looked like Harrison, Dallison and Brough at CB with McGhee and Robson as high up wing backs but tbf I could totally be wrong.

11 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Alex McDonald?