The get fit, stay fit thread

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I can promise you it doesn't feel gentle at the moment. Not sure if I am more amazed or annoyed that I used to be able to run 5k in under 23 minutes without feeling as though it was any huge effort.

Old age, practice - don't fret about it! I mainly run now when out with the dog and find it surprising how running off road compared to running on tarmac can knacker me in different ways. Feel more like Rocky when running on tarmac and don't listen to any music etc any more - just the sound of the feet, the breathing etc. Running in the hills out with the dog is a buzz but the softer surface/lower impact doesn't do as much for my flab levels. 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Old age, practice - don't fret about it! I mainly run now when out with the dog and find it surprising how running off road compared to running on tarmac can knacker me in different ways. Feel more like Rocky when running on tarmac and don't listen to any music etc any more - just the sound of the feet, the breathing etc. Running in the hills out with the dog is a buzz but the softer surface/lower impact doesn't do as much for my flab levels. 

I've never really been able to run on a treadmill, decided a wee while ago after mentioning that on here that I was going to try and conquer that particular mountain. Used to run on the roads and up the hills, but overdone it and ended up with a string of hip and groin injuries. Gave up almost completely for around 4 years and have decided it's now worth risking again, to see if the additional strength I've gained from the weight training helps compensate for what I assume to be shite running posture.

10 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I've never really been able to run on a treadmill, decided a wee while ago after mentioning that on here that I was going to try and conquer that particular mountain. Used to run on the roads and up the hills, but overdone it and ended up with a string of hip and groin injuries. Gave up almost completely for around 4 years and have decided it's now worth risking again, to see if the additional strength I've gained from the weight training helps compensate for what I assume to be shite running posture.

Skipping is great for a slightly lower impact workout too. Takes a bit of practice and different ropes give different workouts but it really burns fat off you.  

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Just over a week since I went back to seriously watching what I eat, couple that in with starting the gym and the treadmill (walking 5kmph speed) every second night and I'm happy to report a 6lbs loss in 8 days emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

What was your starting weight?  

I'm training for the Edinburgh Half Marathon and attempting to continue weightlifting at the same time. Following the sixteen-week plan here and I'm currently on week 5. Pace is currently about 4:45 / km. Hoping to finish in about 1:40 - 1:45.

Having to dial back on the weights though, particularly leg day, so I'm running a modified PPL that doesn't have much leg training apart from squats and raises.

Can notice a visible difference in the past few weeks on the amount of fat I'm carrying, my muscles are becoming more defined.

What was your starting weight?  
I was 17st bang on mate. I'm 6'4 so I didn't look massively overweight but certainly have a gut and "love handles".
I've been doing 25 mins of cardio every night, just enough until my knees get a bit sore on the treadmill, but with going to the gym, the recumbent bike and Arc trainer will fair help with that to.

22 hours ago, Gaz said:

I'm training for the Edinburgh Half Marathon and attempting to continue weightlifting at the same time. Following the sixteen-week plan here and I'm currently on week 5. Pace is currently about 4:45 / km. Hoping to finish in about 1:40 - 1:45.

Having to dial back on the weights though, particularly leg day, so I'm running a modified PPL that doesn't have much leg training apart from squats and raises.

Can notice a visible difference in the past few weeks on the amount of fat I'm carrying, my muscles are becoming more defined.

Contract offer from Ray incoming...

18 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Contract offer from Ray incoming...

I'm still grim at football. Maybe last season

It's brutal, though. I've dropped squats down from 5x5 at 110kg to 3x5 at 80kg as I just can't recover from the heavier sets in time to go out a run. Grim stuff. My bench and deadlift haven't suffered too much (yet) but I'm going up in weight noticeably slower so expecting to plateau at some point.

I started couch to 5k last week.

Having been unable to run the length of my shadow for years, it seemed pretty daunting but there are decent subreddit and facebook groups for support.  An audiobook to listen to and it's actually fairly enjoyable.

I've done a fair bit of swimming in the past and my fear of running I think is just poor pace control/running too fast.  Feeling pretty determined to complete the 9 weeks (even if it's running at a slow pace).

Walking has been the best form of exercise for me. My and the wife are doing the 10,000 steps a day in march for Marie curie. I've just walked from the Tesco at the bottom of Leith walk, right up Leith walk, up leith street, along waterloo place, up calton hill, down the steps onto London road, and back down the other side of Leith walk. Legs are aching, but I'm feeling better for it. I've lost nearly half a stone in just over a week.

2 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

I started couch to 5k last week.

Having been unable to run the length of my shadow for years, it seemed pretty daunting but there are decent subreddit and facebook groups for support.  An audiobook to listen to and it's actually fairly enjoyable.

I've done a fair bit of swimming in the past and my fear of running I think is just poor pace control/running too fast.  Feeling pretty determined to complete the 9 weeks (even if it's running at a slow pace).

I'm in the middle of doing the couch to 5k. Got one more run of week 5 to go. It's definitely worth sticking with.

Whoever switched me on to frozen fruit deserves a medal. Raspberries are just as good as fresh and half the price.
Do you put them in porridge or oats?
Or do you use them in smoothies etc?

Managed to get a good session in at the gym yesterday but my knee was really sore by the end, felt like someone stabbing me just in behind my kneecap (right behind where the op scar is) but I've got up this morning fine, might have just been because I was really pushing the legs yesterday.

On 05/03/2019 at 11:50, Ross. said:

I hate treadmills and use them only as a last resort if it's icy outside. Any other weather I'll just layer up and get out.

I've been really busy at work this week so I'm a couple of days behind on my training. 5 miles tonight and 7 miles tomorrow and I'm more or less back on track.

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I hate treadmills and use them only as a last resort if it's icy outside. Any other weather I'll just layer up and get out.

I've been really busy at work this week so I'm a couple of days behind on my training. 5 miles tonight and 7 miles tomorrow and I'm more or less back on track.

I'm still struggling with it but managing 20 minutes alternating between 9 and 12 km/h. Was at the gym last night and usually don't like going 2 nights running, but might go again tonight so I have time to go for a run outside tomorrow to see what I can manage there. Will see what time I get away from the office before I make my mind up on that.