The get fit, stay fit thread

I hate the bleep test. Don't know why but when I had the choice of the fitness test I would always opt for the 2.4km run.

13.6 is a great score on the test.

If you go to page 11 on this link then you find out the fitness requirements for the navy.

http://www.pdevportal.co.uk/pdf/RNTF_policy_and_protocols/RNFT_Policy_and_Protocols.pdf

I reckon i could get the excellent level for it! Maybe just outside it!

Aye the bleep is horrific but im guessing that is why it works! I play footie so it gets me fit as f**k for that!

Anyone tried metafit? Some new class that i have heard people mention so giving it a bash on thursday!

Ps bigmartyn... You sound like an absolute monster

I reckon i could get the excellent level for it! Maybe just outside it!

Aye the bleep is horrific but im guessing that is why it works! I play footie so it gets me fit as f**k for that!

Anyone tried metafit? Some new class that i have heard people mention so giving it a bash on thursday!

Ps bigmartyn... You sound like an absolute monster

Not many people get up to a excellent. I think the biggest problem is that as soon as people know they have passed then they tend to just stop. As I've already said I hated it as I find it hard to get up to speed then slow down, turn then speed up again. I can pass the 2.4km run easily as its a case of finding a steady pace then just staying at it before going balls out on the last lap and a half.

Cheers. I'm getting back up to where my strength once was and should hopefully be back to my strongest by the end of the year.

Since the turn of the year, I've worked a bit at getting myself fitter and in better shape, and I pleasingly ran the Men's 10k in 55mins at the start of the summer.

Since then I've got married and been on honeymoon and now need to get back into it. I have a relatively decent diet (particularly during the week) of omelettes, brown bread pittas with chicken, low fat yoghurts, stir fry for dinner etc, but tend to have a few less healthy treats of a weekend.

I like to have what I like for dinners on Friday and Saturday, and a few beers and the like, but how much of the 'good diet' is likely to be undone with letting go at the weekend?

I'm usually go to the gym once a week and go for a run every week to two weeks, but if I am to slim down a fair bit, but also add muscle over time too, what can be changed/added, and do a few weekend treats have a massive impact on such goals?

Yesterday I went quite hard and feeling the effects today!

Done a core and arm session in the gym about 1 and then went home and done some cardio/sprints outside and finished off with 2x20 squats and a sprint after.

Now going out for some badminton.

I read a lot bout 'how much you can lose in a week' online, but what is the optimal weightless per week of 'good' weight? By that I mean actual fat, because for example I got back from holiday last week and have started back at the gym this week. When I go I am usually about 4 times a week and walk to and from the gym which is about 3 miles, and when in the gym I do about 45 mins of cardio (mixture of cross trainer, treadmill and bike), then spend a day on arms and upper body and a day on legs and lower body on top of the cardio. I gone back to eating low fat, high protein foods like eggs, chicken, fish, cottage cheese etc and although I have lost nearly half a stone in under a week I know this is pretty much all 'water weight' and not necessarily fat.

Is 2-3 pounds per week a good amount of weight to lose per week? In terms of my diet I probably actually need to eat more, still in a mindset of 'if I eat much less, I will lose wight quicker', which I know is wrong because eating the right food is more important than simply eating less.

Current weight is 12 stone. I am about 5'6 and have a stockier frame, but my goal is about 10'7 before October which would be very achievable at a rate of about 2-3 pounds of fat per week.

I read a lot bout 'how much you can lose in a week' online, but what is the optimal weightless per week of 'good' weight? By that I mean actual fat, because for example I got back from holiday last week and have started back at the gym this week. When I go I am usually about 4 times a week and walk to and from the gym which is about 3 miles, and when in the gym I do about 45 mins of cardio (mixture of cross trainer, treadmill and bike), then spend a day on arms and upper body and a day on legs and lower body on top of the cardio. I gone back to eating low fat, high protein foods like eggs, chicken, fish, cottage cheese etc and although I have lost nearly half a stone in under a week I know this is pretty much all 'water weight' and not necessarily fat.

Is 2-3 pounds per week a good amount of weight to lose per week? In terms of my diet I probably actually need to eat more, still in a mindset of 'if I eat much less, I will lose wight quicker', which I know is wrong because eating the right food is more important than simply eating less.

Current weight is 12 stone. I am about 5'6 and have a stockier frame, but my goal is about 10'7 before October which would be very achievable at a rate of about 2-3 pounds of fat per week.

About 2 pounds per week.

According to the NHS and BBC websites, my BMI rating is now well into the overweight region, closer to obese than to ideal weight.

So I need to go from just over 15 stone to around 13 stone.

First steps are cutting out all the chocolate, crisps and ice cream etc. But I think my biggest problem is portion control - I'm hopeless at it!

Also going to do more exercise. Last night I was playing fives in Brechin, so instead of driving from Montrose to Brechin, I cycled. Seven miles in just under an hour, arrived at fives with rock solid legs and an aching arse :D

After an hour of fives, couldn't face the cycle back home, so stuck the bike in the back of my mate's car - still, it's a start!

According to the NHS and BBC websites, my BMI rating is now well into the overweight region, closer to obese than to ideal weight.

So I need to go from just over 15 stone to around 13 stone.

First steps are cutting out all the chocolate, crisps and ice cream etc. But I think my biggest problem is portion control - I'm hopeless at it!

Also going to do more exercise. Last night I was playing fives in Brechin, so instead of driving from Montrose to Brechin, I cycled. Seven miles in just under an hour, arrived at fives with rock solid legs and an aching arse :D

After an hour of fives, couldn't face the cycle back home, so stuck the bike in the back of my mate's car - still, it's a start!

Take no notice of your BMI rating. It's the most flawed formula ever conceived. Arnold Schwarzenegger was morbildly obese according to the BMI scale.

Take no notice of your BMI rating. It's the most flawed formula ever conceived. Arnold Schwarzenegger was morbildly obese according to the BMI scale.

I don't think I'm as bad as it makes out - I'm broad shouldered and have never been slim - but I'm definitely overweight (and I didn't need my BMI number to tell me that!)

Shite time to be trying to lose weight though - heading towards winter with a pregnant wife who's about to start eating for two!

My gym's been shut for 4 weeks due to flooding but is re-opening on Thursday. I've been on holiday for about half that time as well so just trying to keep myself ticking over by doing circuits in the house, which is no comparison really. Looking forward to getting back into it.

However, I've been doing a bit of reading and I'm interested in doing an Intermittent Fasting programme (which incorporates an element of carb cycling). I think it generally suits my own lifestyle anyway rather than the "traditional" method of 6 small meals, as I really struggle to eat in the morning before work so would normally force myself to down a pint of milk as some kind of protein source. Plus I do like to eat big meals so 3 big meals in 8 hours (big lunch, mid afternoon meal / sandwich and big dinner) isn't really a problem, but...

I also worked out that I'm going to have to up my protein intake to ~ 130g per day, which is much higher than I'm used to, as I don't use supplements (except for a daily multivitamin). By my maths I'm looking at -every day- 1l of skimmed milk (34g protein), 1 x 205g packet of wafer thin ham (35g ), 1 tin tuna (35g ) , that still leaves me ~ 25g to get from veggies / grains etc. which works out about £3-4 a day.

Milk seems to be far and away the cheapest way, just need to be careful about the total calories. The guys that are taking on this much (or higher) now- how do you manage it, and without getting bored of eating tuna & eggs all the time? Supplements or just lots of different sources?

*opens another packet of ham*

Started this a week and a half ago, I think I can see some encouraging signs already, going to try and stick with it for another 7 weeks and assess the difference then. I'm enjoying the eating large meals and not eating breakfast really doesn't bother me. Nutritionally I'm eating some amount of protein compared to what I used to- for example had a packet of wafer thin turkey (with sriracha sauce as a dip) as an afternoon snack at work, then since I came home I've had 125g chicken (28g protein), a tin of beans + veggie sausages (29 g protein), and a litre of skimmed milk (36 g protein).

Also changed my workouts to focus more on compound exercises like bench press, pull ups, deadlift, and squat (although my work gym doesn't have a squat rack so I use leg press followed by dumbbell squats when my legs are already fatigued). There's another gym 5 minutes walk from me that's 10 quid more a month than the gym in work, but I got a free trial session and there's far more free weights areas plus a squat rack and an extra smith machine. Plus I don't have to see dickheads from work while I'm in there. Probably going to join on Sunday.

Iv been training at least 5 days a week for the last few years CV and Weight training.

Looking to mix things up as Iv probably hit the wall in terms of fat loss. Currently around 75kg with BF around 20% I would imagine (guess)

Been reading up on fasted training. The premise is that you fast over night then train. The idea being that your body uses the sugars and fats stored as energy increasing lean gains. Anybody had experience of this? I would find this hard especially when at work offshore but could easily do it when I'm home. Last food about 8 pm train about 9am then have something at lunch. Seems a long time without food and I know I would be craving. Also how could I expect to run 10k that day with so little food. Would it be a case of eating more when the time comes? More reading required but though maybe somebody has tried it.

Iv been training at least 5 days a week for the last few years CV and Weight training.

Looking to mix things up as Iv probably hit the wall in terms of fat loss. Currently around 75kg with BF around 20% I would imagine (guess)

Been reading up on fasted training. The premise is that you fast over night then train. The idea being that your body uses the sugars and fats stored as energy increasing lean gains. Anybody had experience of this? I would find this hard especially when at work offshore but could easily do it when I'm home. Last food about 8 pm train about 9am then have something at lunch. Seems a long time without food and I know I would be craving. Also how could I expect to run 10k that day with so little food. Would it be a case of eating more when the time comes? More reading required but though maybe somebody has tried it.

I doubt youll be 20% if you are doing all that training, I had mine measured about a year ago and was 13%, am leaner now than then and I could still be slightly leaner. I would ramp up the weight training making sure you are doing all the big compound lifts and make sure your cardio is a mixture of high intensity and steady state.

I dont really know about this fasted training, I find that little and often is key, with complete protein in every meal if possible. If im going a run in the morning I wont eat though purely because Id have to wait an hour before setting off or Id be feeling sick!

I doubt youll be 20% if you are doing all that training, I had mine measured about a year ago and was 13%, am leaner now than then and I could still be slightly leaner. I would ramp up the weight training making sure you are doing all the big compound lifts and make sure your cardio is a mixture of high intensity and steady state.

I dont really know about this fasted training, I find that little and often is key, with complete protein in every meal if possible. If im going a run in the morning I wont eat though purely because Id have to wait an hour before setting off or Id be feeling sick!

Exactly what i was thinking. If you have been training 5 days a week for 5 weeks and your body fat is 20% then i would say you are nOt doing it right!

I train 6-7 days a week. Every lunch i do weights and then at night i do sprint training or football, sometimes both. Also started doing metafit and some other class similar to that. I reckon my BF must be pretty low? Need to get that measured.

Anyways my point is.... I eat like a horse. Every 2-3 hours im eating something. If you are doing that amount of training then you should be doing that as well. People that preach the old "no carbs" nonsense are also talking pish. Everything in moderatiom is the key to success.

Exactly what i was thinking. If you have been training 5 days a week for 5 weeks and your body fat is 20% then i would say you are nOt doing it right!

I train 6-7 days a week. Every lunch i do weights and then at night i do sprint training or football, sometimes both. Also started doing metafit and some other class similar to that. I reckon my BF must be pretty low? Need to get that measured.

Anyways my point is.... I eat like a horse. Every 2-3 hours im eating something. If you are doing that amount of training then you should be doing that as well. People that preach the old "no carbs" nonsense are also talking pish. Everything in moderatiom is the key to success.

I may well be lower. No idea tbh. Will need to get measured I suppose. I used one of they machines in the gym changing rooms ages ago and gave me a BMI of around 20. I'm assuming these things are as accurate as Sevcos accounts.

I try not read too much into articles as someone is always trying to push their way is best. I haven't done as much HITT recently due to injury so will need to get back to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Heading back to Uni next week for second year and I've put on a decent amount of weight since I've moved away so decided I need to get back into decent shape. I reckon I've put on about 2 stone over the course of the year, it's barely noticable anywhere on my body except for my stomach. A real beer gut now. Since it'll be freshers when we go back, beer is oot the windaaaay. Gonna try stop eating crisps as I'm an absolute crisp fiend. Live next to the meadows, good place to run so hopefully get back into something reasonable by about xmas time as self confidence has taken a bit of a hit!

Edited by Big Fifer

Sounds like your diet is horrendous if you have seriously been at it for a few years 5 days a week and have 20% bf.

Down to 16 stone for the first time since I was, well, 16.

Looking to be 14 stone by christmas, its going to be tough but surely the last two stone can't be harder than the first 5?

You were 21st? That is quite something. Getting to 14 would be a great achievement and definitely doable if you put in the effort.

Edited by killie_lad