The get fit, stay fit thread

I stopped for about six months last year and the difference was pretty astonishing. Thought I could out train it but you can't, well I can't anyway. It was only to mask having a shitty time of things anyway and wasn't helping. 

I reckon fitness is more down to a balanced lifestyle rather than having a yo-yo lifestyle. Training six days but drinking and eating shit at the weekends, pretty pointless. I've found when you cut out stuff going back to it makes you realise just how unhealthy it is. Can't drink full fat/sugar soft drinks anymore, the sweetness is overpowering.

Edited by D.A.F.C

Back when I used to attend the gym, many many many years ago, I had a trainer draft up a workout plan which contained supersets (basically one exercise (eg biceps) followed by another different exercise (eg shoulders) with no rest between each). I found it incredibly effective but also that my workouts were naturally shorter. Very good fun and challenging. At one point I was doing a shoulder exercise as a tri-set (front raise, side raise, bent over raise with no rest between) which was an absolute muscle burner. I ended up giving up the gym for one reason or another and when me and the wife booked our wedding made a conscious effort to try and lose some weight I had gained since leaving the gym. Rather than fork out on another gym membership I bought some dumbells, and with the knowledge gained from being in the gym in the past, devised my own workout routine implementing supersets etc and the weight was falling off. My cardio is limited to 5 a-sides on a Wednesday but for the rest of the week I'll just workout with dumbells and class my the weekend as my days off. I've devised a workout plan for every couple of weeks so the exercises and muscles targeted during the each superset is varied so my body isn't getting used to the same routine. Always good to shock your body if you've been stuck in the same workout pattern for an extended period of time I've felt.

Whilst diet will play an important part in things I've never been one to be 'overly' strict. I get my 3 meals a day with my tea being a decent meal with a healthy dose of protein and if I feel the need to snack I quite enjoy healthy fats such as nuts or even some peanut butter (not any of that Sun Pat crap) on a rice cake. For a while my snack of choice was an apple cut in half and peanut butter smeared on top. Sounds rank but actually quite tasty and a decent 'after work out' snack. If I'm boozing I normally reserve that for a night out, which is few and far between with a wife and 4 year old, and rarely will I drink in the house at the weekends or that. 

I'm not keen on the If It Fits Your Macros idea because of what you've mentioned basically, a lot of people will neglect good food sources.  If it works for people who struggle to eat well consistently though then it's definitely a good approach.

If you get 80-90% of them from good sources you should be alright and the occasional treat would keep you sane.
I can't do moderation though so I'm 100% clean if I am cutting.

8 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If you get 80-90% of them from good sources you should be alright and the occasional treat would keep you sane.
I can't do moderation though so I'm 100% clean if I am cutting.

I eat high protein/high fat/green veg. Tasty diet as you can eat eggs, oily fish, stir fry's, fatty meats like pork/steak and add chorizo/cheese to meals, doesn't feel like I'm sacrificing at all. Always have some beers/wine and dinner out/takeaway on a Saturday night.

I really don't care what people wear to the gym but I've noticed recently that quite a few, mainly younger men, seem to be rocking what I can only describe as a 'funeral sport chic' look. Essentially an all black outfit with matching t-shirt, trackie bottoms and (quite often) black Nike Huaraches or Roshes. Is this a thing? Is it on trend?

On 1/15/2017 at 08:43, Shandon Par said:

Tried using the running machine at my gym but it has this wee helper woman who pops up on screen. Have to use the cross trainer instead for the avoidance of getting a semi..

IMG_1277.JPG

We have those machines and i'm tonight, will report back how long i last without bursting through my shorts.

I eat high protein/high fat/green veg. Tasty diet as you can eat eggs, oily fish, stir fry's, fatty meats like pork/steak and add chorizo/cheese to meals, doesn't feel like I'm sacrificing at all. Always have some beers/wine and dinner out/takeaway on a Saturday night.

I try to do that. But just now I am 40%protein 40%carbs 20%fat Generally so I've got plenty of room to drop my carbs.
Prefer high protein and fat though with just carbs before and after training.

I try to limit myself to one cheat meal a week but when I'm not cutting it quickly ends up 2 and 3 and I put on excess fat.

I train in mornings so have scoop whey + almond butter beforehand. Have a portion of fast acting carbs with whey after training, dates or figs.  Both high glucose and aim for about 40g carbs there, the rest of the day is protein, fats and green veg.  On a Sunday I do low fat/high carbs (supposed to be good for hormones if you eat high fat/low carb the rest of the week).

I try to do that. But just now I am 40%protein 40%carbs 20%fat Generally so I've got plenty of room to drop my carbs.
Prefer high protein and fat though with just carbs before and after training.

I try to limit myself to one cheat meal a week but when I'm not cutting it quickly ends up 2 and 3 and I put on excess fat.

I'm on the exact same ration as yourself at the minute and making good progress bulking at the minute. I aim to hit 180g of protein a day as I'm currently weigh 180lbs and then try hit my carbs and fat +/- 5g. Although I don't feel it matters about ho much carbs and fat you intake as long as you hit your daily calorie intake.

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I really don't care what people wear to the gym but I've noticed recently that quite a few, mainly younger men, seem to be rocking what I can only describe as a 'funeral sport chic' look. Essentially an all black outfit with matching t-shirt, trackie bottoms and (quite often) black Nike Huaraches or Roshes. Is this a thing? Is it on trend?

^^^ goes to the gym dressed like Timmy Mallett

In all seriousness, I am one of the aforementioned 'funeral brigade'. It's just my personal preference.

My gym is full of posey fucktards that clearly spend serious dollah on their gym gear. I see zero point as it just gets fucked up by sweat and constant washing. Even more weird is the current trend of shorts with compression trousers underneath. Da f**k?

15 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

My gym is full of posey fucktards that clearly spend serious dollah on their gym gear. I see zero point as it just gets fucked up by sweat and constant washing. Even more weird is the current trend of shorts with compression trousers underneath. Da f**k?

I've started wearing compression trousers as they look good with the black and white Nike trainers (plus I need to try anything to help me dodge calf tears). Wear shorts over them otherwise its a pretty graphic bit of exhibitionism. I like all the Nike running gear for gym or boxing. Washes well, lasts forever, fits well and look pretty dandy too. 

Hello P+B, I am back for further advice.

I'm 15 days in to my new regime and I feel I may have gone a wee bit OTT.

I've been eating healthy and doing a decent workout every day. I'm mixing it up with about three HIIT workouts a week and the other days weights or light cardio, so no rest days to speak of. The HIIT workouts have been different too and a few days ago I got a skipping rope to add as a warm up exercise. I started off eating around 2000 calories a day but in the last week I've somehow dropped to about 1300. I feel like I'm eating a decent amount but I've mainly been eating low calorie things and I'm not sure it's doing me any good. I do feel fitter and stronger but I'm pretty sure it's going to be counter productive in the long run.

So far I've lost 9lbs, although I've only lost 1lb over the last 4 days so I'm not sure if my body has plateaued or what.

Basically, I'm thinking I need to increase my calories but I'm not sure what is best to eat and when. I've mainly been having fruit, oats, yogurt, homemade soup, beans and at night I just have a normal meal but I've just been controlling the portions I have. If I'm feeling hungry between meals I just have a piece of fruit.

Any advice appreciated!

Hello P+B, I am back for further advice.

I'm 15 days in to my new regime and I feel I may have gone a wee bit OTT.

I've been eating healthy and doing a decent workout every day. I'm mixing it up with about three HIIT workouts a week and the other days weights or light cardio, so no rest days to speak of. The HIIT workouts have been different too and a few days ago I got a skipping rope to add as a warm up exercise. I started off eating around 2000 calories a day but in the last week I've somehow dropped to about 1300. I feel like I'm eating a decent amount but I've mainly been eating low calorie things and I'm not sure it's doing me any good. I do feel fitter and stronger but I'm pretty sure it's going to be counter productive in the long run.

So far I've lost 9lbs, although I've only lost 1lb over the last 4 days so I'm not sure if my body has plateaued or what.

Basically, I'm thinking I need to increase my calories but I'm not sure what is best to eat and when. I've mainly been having fruit, oats, yogurt, homemade soup, beans and at night I just have a normal meal but I've just been controlling the portions I have. If I'm feeling hungry between meals I just have a piece of fruit.

Any advice appreciated!

Sounds like you are not getting enough #protein

I'm on the exact same ration as yourself at the minute and making good progress bulking at the minute. I aim to hit 180g of protein a day as I'm currently weigh 180lbs and then try hit my carbs and fat +/- 5g. Although I don't feel it matters about ho much carbs and fat you intake as long as you hit your daily calorie intake.

Aye I don't worry too much if I'm slightly over in my fat. Quite hard to keep the fat down to 20% as I'm on about 3200 calories a day just now so it's only about 65g of fat.