The get fit, stay fit thread

I fucking hope not. Cheers for turning a slight niggle into a life-changer though!

Slight jest; but fluid retention in the extremities (particularly feet) is something that you should see the doctor about. Is it constant or does it only happen after exercise?

9 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

I had to give myself a one month ice cream excile as I was smashing a tub of Ben and Jerrys once a week as my cheat meal. Can't be good for you smashing your blood sugar up and down like that once a week.

Even when I am in good shape I always have a meal where I have a curry/Chinese/pizzas etc washed down with a tub of ice cream. You need something to look forward to every week. If you are are eating 5 or 6 meals a day then then is 35-42 meals a week-if one of them is terrible it cant do to much damage.... that's my philosophy. I usually put on about 7 -9lbs with my cheat meal though and it takes me about 5 days to shift it, but as long as I am down after a week I am happy.

I've been slacking off massively the past couple of weeks. No weights, swimming or cycling and downing a ridiculous amount of beer. Out for the football today then back to living like a monk Monday onwards for November and hopefully beginning of December. 

1 minute ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

I've been slacking off massively the past couple of weeks. No weights, swimming or cycling and downing a ridiculous amount of beer. Out for the football today then back to living like a monk Monday onwards for November and hopefully beginning of December. 

I was the same - i had a sore back and neck and couldn't do any exercise for a while then got the cold and in between times just used it as an excuse to eat and drink what ever i wanted. Don't think the weight has piled on too much but i haven't been feeling great because of it. Going to have a healthy November as December is obviously going to be a time when i pile the weight on.

• 4 weeks later...

So about a month after setting myself the target of losing another 7lbs before Christmas and I've actually lost 9lbs already but I seem to have stagnated this week a bit for some reason. It's not long since I changed my workouts so it's maybe my body just getting used to them again. Anyway, I'm just shy of a week away from only 6 full months of the whole "get fit stay fit" strategy but I can't really imagine going back to what I was before.

At 6'2" I've gone from 16st 8lbs and a BMI of 29.8 to today being 13st 5lbs, with a BMI of 24.0 and an indicative BF of 20.2%

I'm considering upping my calories etc. a bit to try and bulk up a little before cutting again but I'm starting to get to the stage where I'm not sure what my target is anymore. I guess I'd like to get a flat stomach with a bit of abs showing, so maybe a BF of around 15% is my target now but I'm not really sure. I'm also toying with the idea of supplementing with whey and/or creatine to help. My diets pretty decent now so I haven't really supplemented so far.

With Christmas around the corner I dread to think what it's going to do to me but I'm going to be enjoying it to the max regardless.

Get a decent all in one supplement if you are going down the Creation/whey road. It saves a lot of time and cash.
The abs bit is the tricky part,you'll be looking at single figure body fat before they show themselves.

Get a decent all in one supplement if you are going down the Creation/whey road. It saves a lot of time and cash.
The abs bit is the tricky part,you'll be looking at single figure body fat before they show themselves.

First ever supplement I ever used was Maximuscles all in one and certainly did the trick. Avoid their Cyclone however unless looking to bulk and Myprotein's version Hurricane as it tastes like cat piss.

That's the one I use[emoji47]
Its not great but I always go for the unflavoured versions of their products anyway.

I sampled the chocolate and was easily the worst tasting whey I've ever tried. Had this weird artificial sweetness that was overpowering. Shame as all of their other products taste grand.

Only other all in one I've tried is PHD Synergy Iso 7 which gave serious #gainz but always left me bloated as f**k and a bit queasy.

I've managed to settle into a decent exercise routine. Since the end of July I've been doing about 2-3 spin classes a week, getting out on the MTB if the weather's half decent, and after a surprisingly positive chat with my knee surgeon, getting into regular hillwalking again. I've dropped 20 lbs since the end of July, aiming to eventually get down to 12.5 stone (another 21 lbs) then add some weight training into my routine. I'm hoping to hit this mark by March, by which time I should be pretty fit for the Loch Ness Etape, and later in the year a couple of big mountain trips. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I decided to give creatine a go and started the day after my original post - decided to load for the first week and maintain after. I've also started taking whey protein after workouts.

Nothing happened the first few days then all of a sudden I put on 5lbs over the weekend despite being in deficit. So I know I'm not one of the minority of people it doesn't apparently have any effect on! It's now about a week and a half later and I'm already back down to the weight I was before I started taking it but it's definitely had an effect as I upped the weights I was lifting in the gym and I'd actually say I'm still finding them easier than the lighter weights I was lifting beforehand.

I wish I'd waited a day or two more to read the posts on here though, then I wouldn't have bought the MyProtein Chocolate Whey. Pretty rubbish artificial chocolate flavour. Will take the recommendation above and try the Vanilla next time.

I need to get my arse in gear on this again. Since my holiday in October I've really not bothered too much. Gone from 3 decent cardio sessions plus a bit of light weights and core work a week, to a couple of half hour shots on the exercise bike in the last fortnight. No changes weight wise but when I went on the bike on Monday night I was absolutely gubbed quite quickly when I am used to being able to do much much more.

I have been a slob in the past few weeks because i have been busy with exams but as of Saturday I'm going to try swim every day for a fortnight so i don't feel so guilty about pigging out over Christmas time. 

Been trying out a bunch of fitness classes and found one called Metafit (HIIT stuff). Sweated loads and was familiar with all the exercises as we'd do them at boxing training. I can see how people change their bodyshape. Doing this every day for a month would get you knocked into decent condition. 50 lengths in the pool this morning too. Going to try the reverse to most Christmasses and get fitter over the festive period.