The get fit, stay fit thread

53 minutes ago, mattyaccies said:

Ok, for a 5'5 guy weighing in at over 12 stone what do the masses reckon is the best way to lose at least a stone in the quickest time possible? Sedentary desk job, 42 years old, no gym work but half decent diet...?

Buy fat burners of the Internet, sit back and watch the magic work.

Ok, for a 5'5 guy weighing in at over 12 stone what do the masses reckon is the best way to lose at least a stone in the quickest time possible? Sedentary desk job, 42 years old, no gym work but half decent diet...?

Join a gym

Been choked with the cold so haven't been to the gym since last Thursday. I was just a couple of pounds away from my biggest main target too. Christ, do I hate having the cold. Hopefully get back to it over the weekend at some point.

Not sure if appropriate for this thread or not......
I've just done 5 weeks without booze (almost-had 3 slip ups), that coupled with a more intensive work regime which involved more physical work, ladder climbing, heavy lifting etc, in that time I've shed 5 kilos which I thought was decent considering I was eating 3 square meals a day- every day, including cooked breakfast most days.
Anyway, now I'm back into my normal regime, will playing darts assist my weight loss?

Not sure if appropriate for this thread or not......
I've just done 5 weeks without booze (almost-had 3 slip ups), that coupled with a more intensive work regime which involved more physical work, ladder climbing, heavy lifting etc, in that time I've shed 5 kilos which I thought was decent considering I was eating 3 square meals a day- every day, including cooked breakfast most days.
Anyway, now I'm back into my normal regime, will playing darts assist my weight loss?

:lol:

As an aside, I've started using Creatine again after a couple of years off it. 2 days and I can already tell I've stuck a couple of pounds of water weight on, but I'm looking a bit better. Definitely helping with the tail end of those heavy rep sets.

I started going to the gym 3 times a week about 9/10 weeks ago.  Monday is chest/arms, Wed is legs and Fri is core.  Before every session I do 24 mins HIIT cardio, 1 min at 11.5km/h and 30 secs at 14.5km/h with a warm up and warm down.  I'm 6"2, was 14st 3lbs before i started going, now down to about 13st 9lbs, but still got a bit of a beer gut when relaxed.  Diet is strict through the week but tend to be a bit daft at the weekends with takeaways etc.  Hopefully if I rein it in i can get shot of the gut.

Edited by Marsh

I started going to the gym 3 times a week about 9/10 weeks ago.  Monday is chest/arms, Wed is legs and Fri is core.  Before every session I do 24 mins HIIT cardio, 1 min at 11.5km/h and 30 secs at 14.5km/h with a warm up and warm down.  I'm 6"2, was 14st 3lbs before i started going, now down to about 13st 9lbs, but still got a bit of a beer gut when relaxed.  Diet is strict through the week but tend to be a bit daft at the weekends with takeaways etc.  Hopefully if I rein it in i can get shot of the gut.

I used to do cardio before hitting the weights but I felt I was blowing my load and not hitting my full effort after the cardio. If it works for you then stick to it.

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I used to do cardio before hitting the weights but I felt I was blowing my load and not hitting my full effort after the cardio. If it works for you then stick to it.

I was the same, hence i got banned from all gyms in Edinburgh.

I should have known you'd twist that turn of phrase, you deviant. [emoji14]

Someone was going to do it eventually!

I have hurt my neck and am unable to do any exercise, had a few drinks last night for the game and don't think i will even bother weighing myself tomorrow!

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 00:24, mattyaccies said:

Start walking as much as possible - to and from work, at lunchtime, in the evening, whatever.  It's easy, it's good for you and you'll lose a surprising amount of weight surprisingly quickly.  If you've got a competitive streak or just like stats, buy a Fitbit as well to track your steps and distance.

Muscle Gain 

Dedicate each day to a muscle group; take 2 days off per week from the gym, not in a row though. I usually do a Wednesday and Sunday as my off days.

Start on the machines to get a feel for what your muscles can comfortably cope with, then once you feel you are ready, look online for a variety of free weight exercises. Pay close attention to tutorials on how to perform the free weight exercises, or ask a trainer or friend to show you how to do them.

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

Dedicate each day to a muscle group; take 2 days off per week from the gym, not in a row though. I usually do a Wednesday and Sunday as my off days.

Start on the machines to get a feel for what your muscles can comfortably cope with, then once you feel you are ready, look online for a variety of free weight exercises. Pay close attention to tutorials on how to perform the free weight exercises, or ask a trainer or friend to show you how to do them.

Cheers