The get fit, stay fit thread

As far as I'm aware Huel is completely different as it's nutritionally organic and complete I.e. It contains 100% of your nutrient needs.

It's not a whole world away from the other shit I mentioned. Your body is designed to work off of real food and not only liquid. Particularly one which includes artificial substances. On top of that it supposedly tastes rank.

Here's a quote from a recent Guardian article on it.

"But when I talk to Joanna Blythman, an investigative food writer who has written five books on the food industry, she scoffs at the idea that the ingredients are “natural”.

“There is almost nothing in there in its natural form. These are very, very technologically altered hi-tech ingredients. They’re the opposite of what whole, natural foods are. If I read that list of ingredients on a product on a supermarket shelf, I would have a major problem."

It's not a whole world away from the other shit I mentioned. Your body is designed to work off of real food and not only liquid. Particularly one which includes artificial substances. On top of that it supposedly tastes rank.

Here's a quote from a recent Guardian article on it.

"But when I talk to Joanna Blythman, an investigative food writer who has written five books on the food industry, she scoffs at the idea that the ingredients are “natural”.

“There is almost nothing in there in its natural form. These are very, very technologically altered hi-tech ingredients. They’re the opposite of what whole, natural foods are. If I read that list of ingredients on a product on a supermarket shelf, I would have a major problem."

Main ingredients:

Oats, Pea Protein, Brown Rice, Flaxseed, Coconut MCT’s, Sunflower.

Vitamins are then made up of ingredients which are known for their nutrient and vitamin rich properties.

We will see how it goes; I'm fit enough as it is, I'm just wanting to see what it's about. Got a weeks supply, aiming to replace 2 meals per day and have 1 "real" meal for dinner, most likely protein heavy. It's got pretty damn good reviews besides the one you've pointed out.

Main ingredients:

Oats, Pea Protein, Brown Rice, Flaxseed, Coconut MCT’s, Sunflower.

Vitamins are then made up of ingredients which are known for their nutrient and vitamin rich properties.

We will see how it goes; I'm fit enough as it is, I'm just wanting to see what it's about. Got a weeks supply, aiming to replace 2 meals per day and have 1 "real" meal for dinner, most likely protein heavy. It's got pretty damn good reviews besides the one you've pointed out.

Pea protein is pretty rough on the digestive system hence why alot of vegans opt for hemp protein if choosing a supplement. Those main ingredients are fine, it's the weird shit like "vanilla flavour system".

Seems a bizarre thing to try if fit and getting good nutrients from actual food.

I honestly dont know why anyone would bother spending money on shite like that. Just eat normal healthy food and complete a decent degree of exercise. Its nae rocket science

I work 7-12 then 5-11 most days. Out with those 5 hours I don't have much time to prep my food as much as I used to when I lived in Dundee and went to Uni. Take away the regular fives/11-a-side, my weight has went up although I'm probably not eating a lot. Just a more sedentary lifestyle.

Joined the gym up at Dingwall yesterday, combined with this I'll hopefully just get back to standard.

I work 7-12 then 5-11 most days. Out with those 5 hours I don't have much time to prep my food as much as I used to when I lived in Dundee and went to Uni. Take away the regular fives/11-a-side, my weight has went up although I'm probably not eating a lot. Just a more sedentary lifestyle.

Joined the gym up at Dingwall yesterday, combined with this I'll hopefully just get back to standard.

Food prep is so easy. Just do everything in bulk.

Meal replacements are shite and the moment someone comes off them they put on weight.  

Stick to real food, and make sure you get a protein source, carb source and some veg in each meal and you'll be fine.  Don't be scared of fats either, even the Big Hoose Rangers guy.

And drink loads of water.

Through the week I do a lot of nutriblasts, so at least you know exactly what's going into it. Plenty of fruit, veg, fibre and protein. At the weekend I have more time though, and I enjoy cooking so I eat regular food then. I don't particularly see nutriblasts as a meal replacement though, it's just a blended version of a healthy meal.

Meal replacements are shite and the moment someone comes off them they put on weight.  

Stick to real food, and make sure you get a protein source, carb source and some veg in each meal and you'll be fine.  Don't be scared of fats either, even the Big Hoose Rangers guy.

And drink loads of water.

You're preaching to the converted here...[emoji849]

I've been getting back into it good and proper since getting back to school in August. Lost nearly a stone, from 14'8 down to 13'10. Got my 10K time down to under 50 minutes as well, although I suspect I won't be able to repeat that for a while yet!

I've been sidelined for the past few days with a bad cold, though. Hoping to get back into it over the weekend.

How long will it take me to lose 2 stone? I've just started a routine of going to the gym 3 times a week averaging an hour each day. Normally I do half an hour cycling or running and half an hour of whatever I fancy (today it was the rowing machine). On the bike I can do 8 miles in half an hour (is this any good?). Thanks

Impossible to say. Look up some beginners gym routines like Starting Strength or Stronglifts,  do a bit of running on days in between, clean up your diet a bit and you should notice big changes after a month or so. 

Edited by Fat Joe da Gangsta

8 hours ago, MeadowArab said:

How long will it take me to lose 2 stone? I've just started a routine of going to the gym 3 times a week averaging an hour each day. Normally I do half an hour cycling or running and half an hour of whatever I fancy (today it was the rowing machine). On the bike I can do 8 miles in half an hour (is this any good?). Thanks

As above, it's impossible to say for sure but a general rule of thumb for weight loss is around 2 lbs a week if you're properly committing but doing so sensibly and in a sustainable way. At the start for the first week or so though if you're really going for it and completely changing your lifestyle you'll probably lose anywhere up to 4 lbs in a week.

I've lost 2 and a half stone since the start of June but that time has included a couple of holidays and festivals with plenty of heavy boozing. As per the post above, the key is mixing cardio with weights and some clean eating. Be careful what you consider clean eating though, there's a lot of shite literature out there about clean eating that's just not true and completely overdoes it. You don't need to go vegan or give up anything in particular you just need to be smart.

I know it sounds counter-productive to do weight and strength training to lose weight, but it's actually pretty important. The muscle you build up helps consume calories and increase your metabolism. I personally mix and match my cardio with strength training on the same day (10mins HIIT cardio, 20 mins weights then repeat) but there's no hard and fast way to do it.

What I actually found the key thing though was I bought myself a fitbit (just the basic one). I use it to track my steps, calories intake, calorie burn, water intake and sleep. It doesn't work for everyone, but I found keeping track of all of this made a huge difference. 1lb of fat loss is equal to 3,500 calories. I aim for a 1,000 calorie deficit each day. When you see how much work it takes to cut 1,000 calories a day you start to think smarter (I park my car in the furthest away corner of the car park from my office for example now - everything helps).

I have been doing short 20-30 minutes of exercise going from 10 chin ups, 15 push ups and 20 sit ups and a few squats with a 20-30 second break in between. Been doing that twice a day as well as eating no added sugar to anything, no carbs or chocolate and having plenty fruit and veg and can feel the difference quite significantly even after having a few drinks at weekend. Got Scotland game this weekend so it's another right off with regards to the booze but I'm going to do a weigh in on Thursday and hope to be at about 12:5 down from 12:10 which I was a week yesterday when I started this.

See I'd say cutting carbs completely is a bad idea, as does pretty much everything I've read. I've spent quite a bit of time looking into it and the consensus strongly points to "lo-carb", high protein diets.

Well I have cut out white bread to be more specific. Usually been having dinners with a meat, salad and couscous which suits me pretty much down to the ground anyway. The only thing keeping me fat is the booze and added sugars in coffee, I like soft drinks too but only really want them after I have had drinks and need a pick me up.

Fair enough, I don't eat much bread at all now (and I love crusty bread with lashings of butter). I keep a loaf of brown in the freezer for the occasional poached egg on toast and that's about it. I managed to cut the sugar out of my coffee but it took me a while to get used to it. Booze is definitely the killer, I've gone 3-4 weeks at most during this fitness kick without a drink but there's no way I want to give it up completely. I still want to enjoy life and all that!

Edited by Spain