The get fit, stay fit thread

Anyone had success with hamstring training in terms of both strength and flexibility?

After a combination of a shoulder injury and just wanting to avoid the gym in January I've started back in the last couple of weeks. However, my hamstrings, which I know I've neglected over the years but never bothered since I stopped playing football 5 years ago, are now at the point where I think they're inhibiting deadlifts and squats, particularly deadlifts as they're so tight it makes it difficult to set the right body angle. That and they ache like buggery even after the starting back at the gym DOMS has worn off on other muscles, and I think the tightness is starting to affect my lower back as well.

I'm not sure whether I should just be trying to stretch- lots- or whether I should be trying isolation exercises - but that might overtrain them and tearing them is fairly low on my to do list.

Is it also worth booking sports massages on them as well or is that useless until they're more flexible?

Have you tried yoga?

Aye, big fan of the greek stuff with honey in it. Tasty.

I've downloaded a few beginners' courses rather than turn up and horribly embarrass myself in a class. One of the courses was the Ryan Giggs one which is quite good, he has the charisma of a dead fish but the lassie that takes him through it- who he's obviously banged- is pretty good and Giggs himself isn't that flexible so the poses are do-able.

At the end of that there's a series of range of motion tests that go through calves, hamstrings, quads, groin, hip flexors / ITB, shoulder, chest. I'm at least reasonable on everything else but hamstrings are terrible, like 75 year old man terrible.

I know stretching will work over months and months and I'll have to suck that part up and get on with it, but I was probably more asking if the process could be sped up by massage or isolation training.

Aye, big fan of the greek stuff with honey in it. Tasty.

I've downloaded a few beginners' courses rather than turn up and horribly embarrass myself in a class. One of the courses was the Ryan Giggs one which is quite good, he has the charisma of a dead fish but the lassie that takes him through it- who he's obviously banged- is pretty good and Giggs himself isn't that flexible so the poses are do-able.

At the end of that there's a series of range of motion tests that go through calves, hamstrings, quads, groin, hip flexors / ITB, shoulder, chest. I'm at least reasonable on everything else but hamstrings are terrible, like 75 year old man terrible.

I know stretching will work over months and months and I'll have to suck that part up and get on with it, but I was probably more asking if the process could be sped up by massage or isolation training.

Yoga will sort the hamstrings in three to four weeks

Stick with the yoga and get some serious leg stretches in before every gym session.

Year ago my coach had some dancers come to my gym and show us hundreds of hard but useful stretches. Across the board I'd say most of the guys I train withs flexibility improved.

Be careful doing static stretches if you're thinking about that, can make things worse.

Definitely give yoga a try I did 15 min routine for a while that was designed for boxers when I was still boxing, I'll embed it later. It's something I keep meaning to do regularly but never get round to it.

For anyone looking to lose weight, my girlfriend started Scottish Slimmers and has lost a stone in 5 weeks.

No crazy fad dieting/fasting involved just a calorie controlled eating plan that promotes healthy eating and provides an app for the phone to help you track what you eat. I'd recommend it.

She is eating 3 meals a day and having a snack at night and is consistantly losing weight. The way the system is set up most fruit and veg doesnt come off your daily allocation and a certain amount of dairy is free also.

For anyone looking to lose weight, my girlfriend started Scottish Slimmers and has lost a stone in 5 weeks.

No crazy fad dieting/fasting involved just a calorie controlled eating plan that promotes healthy eating and provides an app for the phone to help you track what you eat. I'd recommend it.

She is eating 3 meals a day and having a snack at night and is consistantly losing weight. The way the system is set up most fruit and veg doesnt come off your daily allocation and a certain amount of dairy is free also.

That was all kinda covered on the first page.

On a gallon of water a day (obviously pissing like a racehorse), and it's helping a lot with keeping the water weight off and helping me keep the body fat down. Would recommend thoroughly to anyone to invest in a gallon water bottle.

I do 1000m 3 times a week for speed/time just now in between days at gym and am increasing distance as times goes on.Starting at a club for the first time this Wednesday that usually does close to 2000m per session.

I swim at Leith Vic, occasionally Glenogle, both of which are taking part. It's at a weekend though which isn't a good time for me.