The get fit, stay fit thread

I bet gyms are a nightmare at this time of year too.

Fucking morons.

Indeed they are. Loads of folk wandering about like farts in a trance, clutching their wee training schedules and cluttering up the machines.

Thankfully they'll be gone by the end of the month as usual.

Facebook is a fucking nightmare just now.  Loads of folk going on about that Insanity DVD that you see on those infomercials.  The same folk who think eating salad and a Diet Coke instead of sandwich for lunch will give them a 6 pack.  The same folk who also still go out and get absolutely hammered every weekend during this 'diet'. Which will literally last less than a week before they're back to having a 'Chinese and Wine night <3' with their 'girlies'.  I bet gyms are a nightmare at this time of year too.Fucking morons.<

I know mhak will chide us for abusing rather than encouraging folk, but aye there's a few lassies in my work like this with the whole "new year, new me" shtick who will almost all have jacked it by start of March at the latest.

Best was one who I follow on twitter as she's good for a breakdown every so often, such as every time she goes out drinking.

She kept tweeting about bootcamp and going to the gym over Christmas complete with annoying hashtags like #iworkoutbitch

Yesterday she went mental saying she'd put on 7lbs and she was going to go to the doctor at which point her mates chimed in with "it'll be muscle gain" from spinning and running. (?!?!?!)

I suspect she weighed herself at the wrong time of day and she hasn't actually put on 7lbs but rather than correct her I just enjoyed the pride before a fall schadenfreude.

She's also one of these people that thinks that going to the gym 3-4 times a week excuses a terrible diet.

Indeed they are. Loads of folk wandering about like farts in a trance, clutching their wee training schedules and cluttering up the machines.

Thankfully they'll be gone by the end of the month as usual.

Sounds familiar. I've not been a member of a gym for 2-3 years having bought my own equipment. I used to avoid January like Bubonic plague. Come February/March, it was back to the usual faces you see all year round.

I know mhak will chide us for abusing rather than encouraging folk, but aye there's a few lassies in my work like this with the whole "new year, new me" shtick who will almost all have jacked it by start of March at the latest.

Best was one who I follow on twitter as she's good for a breakdown every so often, such as every time she goes out drinking.

She kept tweeting about bootcamp and going to the gym over Christmas complete with annoying hashtags like #iworkoutbitch

Yesterday she went mental saying she'd put on 7lbs and she was going to go to the doctor at which point her mates chimed in with "it'll be muscle gain" from spinning and running. (?!?!?!)

I suspect she weighed herself at the wrong time of day and she hasn't actually put on 7lbs but rather than correct her I just enjoyed the pride before a fall schadenfreude.

She's also one of these people that thinks that going to the gym 3-4 times a week excuses a terrible diet.

Can't argue with any of that. These people should definitely be encouraged, without question. They also need to be pointed in the right direction nutrition-wise. You need to educate yourself when it comes to healthy living. Perhaps we should point them in Mak's direction! Your last sentence unfortunately sums up the majority of folk. Tanning the weights and the bike, then getting smashed at weekends and setting up camp in Pizza Hut.

Edit - You actually can build muscle from cardio and good nutrition. I'm living proof. I don't lift weights and I have noticed my arms are toned and my biceps have got larger over the last 12 months. As have my pectorals.

Edited by TheScarf

I really need to get some weight shifted (I'm 14 stone and would like to be well under 13) and increase my base fitness level. Do an hours exercise once or twice a week but its not enough. Problem is with a young baby in the house and a job where I'm stuck at a desk for 8 hours a day its difficult fitting in everything I'd like to do.

Obviously I need to try and eat a bit better and try to find more time to exercise, but if anyone has any handy tips for getting more exercise at work or common pitfalls to avoid they'd be much appreciated...

Anyone got any decent techniqes for just standard sit ups. I strain in my neck far too much when doing them.Its almost as if i'm using my neck muscles more than my stomach musles to complete one.

Edited by Cyber_soccer

Anyone got any decent techniqes for just standard sit ups. I strain in my neck far too much when doing them.Its almost as if i'm using my neck muscles more than my stomoch musles to complete one.

If your neck is hurting, it's because you are not doing them right for reasons that you've just mentioned.

Planks is always an effective method, if not more effective than sit ups.

Anyone got any decent techniqes for just standard sit ups. I strain in my neck far too much when doing them.Its almost as if i'm using my neck muscles more than my stomoch musles to complete one.

This guy is pretty shit hot. Tonnes of videos on how to excercise correctly and how to cook great, healthy, easy meals.

Edited by TheScarf

If your neck is hurting, it's because you are not doing them right for reasons that you've just mentioned.

Planks is always an effective method, if not more effective than sit ups.

I do planks when I remember/can be bothered. Never for once thought they'd be effective is sit-ups though. I'm probably better concentrating wholly on planking. Minute on/minute off kinda thing or just hold it untill I burst a blood vessel?

This guy is pretty shit hot. Tonnes of videos on how to excercise correctly and how to cook great, healthy, easy meals.

Cheers. I'll browse that on my lunch break.

I'm not activley looking to get any fitter than I already am though, i'm happy with myself in that regard. Play plenty of football, occasional run and plitter about with weights at home. Diet could be better, granted.

It was more specifically about my shitey sit-ups.

edit - Some pretty decent videos, have to say. Especially regarding home work out. Theres a few weights vidoes I can give a go at home fairly easily.

Edited by Cyber_soccer

I do planks when I remember/can be bothered. Never for once thought they'd be effective is sit-ups though. I'm probably better concentrating wholly on planking. Minute on/minute off kinda thing or just hold it untill I burst a blood vessel?

Well it benefits your whole core and not just your abs. I did them more to strengthen my lower back and they worked wonders.

It doesn't have to be just on your front either, as you can do them on your side as well. Maybe just a minute on/minute off. I don't think you want to strain something else as well now ;)

Cheers. I'll browse that on my lunch break.

I'm not activley looking to get any fitter than I already am though, i'm happy with myself in that regard. Play plenty of football, occasional run and plitter about with weights at home. Diet could be better, granted.

It was more specifically about my shitey sit-ups.

have your hands up by your ears but never touching your head/neck when you are doing sit ups/crunches think like the motion you would do with your hand if you couldnt hear someone, except at both sides.

Well it benefits your whole core and not just your abs. I did them more to strengthen my lower back and they worked wonders.

It doesn't have to be just on your front either, as you can do them on your side as well. Maybe just a minute on/minute off. I don't think you want to strain something else as well now ;)

Listen, if i'm going to have a prolapse, i'm going to have a prolapse in my living room.

Edited by Cyber_soccer

Edit - You actually can build muscle from cardio and good nutrition.  I'm living proof.  I don't lift weights and I have noticed my arms are toned and my biceps have got larger over the last 12 months.  As have my pectorals.

I suppose if you consumed the right nutrients in the right quantities and fatigued the muscles enough then yeah hypertrophy is possible purely through cardio (I definitely feel the rowing machine on my lats the next day even if I don't do any other work on that muscle group).

However, I would be somewhat sceptical that a female could pack on 7lbs of lean mass in 2 weeks by hitting the treadmill and a couplemof spin classes...

Edited by Fuctifano

I suppose if you consumed the right nutrients in the right quantities and fatigued the muscles enough then yeah hypertrophy is possible purely through cardio (I definitely feel the rowing machine on my lats the next day even if I don't do any other work on that muscle group).

However, I would be somewhat sceptical that a female could pack on 7lbs of lean mass in 2 weeks by hitting the treadmill and a couplemof spin classes...

Totally. She's clearly been at the burgers.

Back into it after New Year. Been doing the usual stuff but have got the kettlebells out again and FFS I am sore in the thighs and hamstrings afterwards.

Must have lost a bit of fitness after being out of action for nearly a month with that cold fluey virus thing but you get it back fairly swiftly. Quite enjoying the training just now but not liking walking like the tin man.dry.gif

I have been going running and doing more cardio work than usual. I've fallen into using the same weight machines for a while and have kind of got into a bit of a rut, concentrating on that rather than cardio. I've been running home from work and use the treadmill at the gym for the first time.

I'm moving into a new house next week so will have to abandon the idea of going back to Jiu Jitsu, which was a motivator for me, and I am keen to lose weight. I'm probably going to look to enter some running races to motivate me to continue, as well as trying to lose some weight. Getting a mortgage will mean less money to be spent on takeaways and booze and I'm going to buy a bike, something I've fancied for a while but held off as I didn't the thought of leaving a bike in a tenement stairwell (two bikes got nicked from our stair a few months back).

I did a BMI, weight-loss thing on the Guardian website (I know, I know) and it said my ideal weight was four and a half stone below where I am :o:( I don't think I'm a massive porker, although I am quite well built and broad but need to do something serious about shifting weight, especially as I'm in my 30s now.

Edited by ICTChris

Cannot wait until the January gym goers gtf and stick to going to the Sauna only and count it as going to the gym as it has been hevaing the past week.

Been really punishing myself in the gym and even managed to get out a run or two so feeling a bit sore but know it will be worth it.

I figure you guys may be able to help. I'm recovering from a stroke but I am well enough now to start looking for a gym to help regain fitness. The issue is I hate gyms that play all that disco bunny shit music and staff that don't seem to have any knowledge about the fitness requirements of *cough* older gentlemen. Does anyone know of any gyms in central Edinburgh that aren't too big or 'Fitness Firsty' that would be able to design a fitness programme that takes into consideration medical issues?