Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Dawn of Justice? Not overly fond of it and I can't see it growing on me any time soon. It's also really encouraging too that despite the fact it's meant to be a Man of Steel, Batman will be getting first billing in the BvS part of the title.

Think they need to as Batman is DC's flagship character at the moment so the more focus they put on him the better from their perspective. The fact they have already agreed to with Snyder to make a Justice League film after this tells its own story. Think the forthcoming TV shows will still be better than this film

Think they need to as Batman is DC's flagship character at the moment so the more focus they put on him the better from their perspective. The fact they have already agreed to with Snyder to make a Justice League film after this tells its own story. Think the forthcoming TV shows will still be better than this film

It's just symbolic of the fact that everything they might have been planning to do with this Superman series of films is being shoved aside in order to rush towards getting this Justice League movie up and going. The fact they've added the word Justice to the title of the film really seems to ram home the fact that they are more interested in setting the JLA movie rather than continue to explore Superman's individual universe.

I don't think the upcoming tv shows will have to try hard to be better than BvS as I'm struggling to see this turning out to be anything other than a complete mess. I won't be surprised if this film ends up failing in the exact same areas as Man of Steel, but to an even greater degree.

The fact they keep adding to the roster really doesn't help them at all. With no origins for most of the characters in the film it will just confuse more people. I can understand cameos or references to characters to then build on later but to put out this film with only Batman and Superman really covered with the likes of Wonder Woman, Cyborg etc still to be introduced to the non comic book public its a disaster waiting to happen

The fact they keep adding to the roster really doesn't help them at all. With no origins for most of the characters in the film it will just confuse more people. I can understand cameos or references to characters to then build on later but to put out this film with only Batman and Superman really covered with the likes of Wonder Woman, Cyborg etc still to be introduced to the non comic book public its a disaster waiting to happen

Definitely, the ever expanding cast is getting silly tbh. Holly Hunter has been cast in it as well, with some of the rumours suggesting she'll play Leslie Thompkins or even a completely original character. It seems pointless to chuck Wonder Woman and Cyborg in to presumably play background parts while the focus of the film will be once again on Batman, despite the fact he's the one of the few DC universe heroes who mainstream audiences are all very familiar with and doesn't need as much work done on him to be set up for the JLA movie.

As if Batman v Superman wasn't getting enough heat, David S. Goyer (writer of that, along with the Nolan films and the Blade series) has taken more shots at comic book fans. Taking the piss out of She-Hulk and Martian Manhunter as well. That's certainly one way to tr and get the fans back on your side for this film...

Saw X-Men, thought it was alright. Apparently there's an after-credits scene though, which I didn't realise till I got back, but the person I read said it was absolute trash.

As if Batman v Superman wasn't getting enough heat, David S. Goyer (writer of that, along with the Nolan films and the Blade series) has taken more shots at comic book fans. Taking the piss out of She-Hulk and Martian Manhunter as well. That's certainly one way to tr and get the fans back on your side for this film...

Saw X-Men, thought it was alright. Apparently there's an after-credits scene though, which I didn't realise till I got back, but the person I read said it was absolute trash.

I've not seen it but curiosity led me to watch the post-credits scene and it sets us up the next X-Men film*. I, in general, hate post-credit scenes but the X-Men ones have always been better than the Avengers stuff.

I like X-Men, alongside Batman it's my favourite "brand" of superhero/comic book stuff. The first two X-Men films are good (X2 is absolutely the best non-Batman comic book film) and FC is a reasonable enough. Unfortunately they fucked everyone over with the other three films - LS is totally pointless and even the post-credits scene can't save or justify the monumental f**k-up of killing Xavier (then bringing him back) and utilising the whole Phoenix storyline. Both Wolverine films were trash with the more recent one being the better of the two.

Apocalypse, or at least a younger version, is constructing the Pyramids whilst being worshipped by Egyptians. Apparently the Four Horsemen make an appearance.

As for the horrible "Batman VERSUS Superman", I was briefly encouraged by the Batsuit but I've reverted back to "this is going to be total trash". Goyer isn't that good a writer but that's not particularly important. Man Of Steel was a mess, a disappointing travesty of a film. The title is terrible and this film will be a disaster.

I just wish this era of comic book films would end. The "Batman cycle" is repeating itself: we've had the good films, now comes the total trash.

Just seen DOFP.

My initial thought was that Halle Berry must have got paid a f*ckload for doing very little, until I read up and found out she was pregnant, so they used her less. A clever story, with the two settings tied together well - I especially liked the effect of Wolverine's anger in the past causing his claws to appear in the future. The ending annoyed me a bit - the cameos from Rogue, Cyclops and Jean were disappointing. Given that they were effectively given a free pass to reboot the franchise within the same story, I thought they might have opted to change the actors for some of the characters. It was great to see characters like Cyclops given a second chance though - he was poorly used in the initial trilogy.

Really enjoyed the film though. Wolverine was a bit restrained, though that ties in well to Kitty telling him he needs to keep calm. Thought Beast was excellent, and both versions of Xavier and Magneto were superb - must have been difficult for Fassbender and McAvoy knowing they were playing the same characters in the same film as Stewart and McKellen!

The post credits scene was interesting, though the casual fan may not have picked up exactly who it was. Took me a second until I clocked the blokes on the horses in the background...

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the post-credits scene is literally post-credits - right at the end of about a billion visual effects people!

Quicksilver and Ink were underused IMO.

The use of Quicksilver was interesting since he will be involved in the Avengers series.

When they showed him watching TV at home later on, he was holding a little girl who was referred to as "Peter's sister" in the credits - much younger so obviously not his twin, possibly Polaris? Although she is only his half-sister in the comics and didn't grow up with him. She also has history with both Iceman and Havok.

The first two X-Men films are good (X2 is absolutely the best non-Batman comic book film)

I just wish this era of comic book films would end. The "Batman cycle" is repeating itself: we've had the good films, now comes the total trash.

Holy shit that's a bold statement! Obviously opinions and all that but X2 is so far down my list of comic books films.

I think that's being quite harsh as well. Iron Man 3 was good, Winter Soldier was great. I think Guardians of the Galaxy will be excellent and Avengers 2 should be similarly good. The Marvel Cinematic Universe are still doing great work, everyone else just can't keep pace.

Just seen DOFP.

The ending annoyed me a bit - the cameos from Rogue, Cyclops and Jean were disappointing. Given that they were effectively given a free pass to reboot the franchise within the same story, I thought they might have opted to change the actors for some of the characters. It was great to see characters like Cyclops given a second chance though - he was poorly used in the initial trilogy.

The post credits scene was interesting, though the casual fan may not have picked up exactly who it was. Took me a second until I clocked the blokes on the horses in the background...

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the post-credits scene is literally post-credits - right at the end of about a billion visual effects people!

I agree about that ending, but at the same time, I'm kinda alright with it. It makes sense because boy did they f**k up the story on the first go around.

I like how they didn't bother mentioning or explaining that Kitty could transfer someone's consciousness, unless I've missed that then she really shouldn't have that power. They could've easily just brought someone in like they did with Bishop, Sunfire or Blink, just someone who has that power rather than just add another power to an existing character, who doesn't have any psychic powers in the previous 3 films and where it doesn't make sense.

Mystique taking Wolverine at the end is weird, too, Stryker didn't die or anything so he could've still went on to do the Weapon X program the same way to give him the claws and shit. (assuming he still does and he has metal claws in the new future).

I quite liked the new additions, Bishop looked cool, Sunfire is alright (not a fan of the character too much), Blink was pretty good and I really liked Quicksilver - nice wee nod to Magneto being his father without getting into a whole new side-story. Good shout on the little girl being Polaris, I saw it and immediately thought Scarlet Witch (but obviously the age is off).

I'm apprehensive as f**k about going to see it again for the Apocalypse scene though, he's probably my second favourite villain and I really don't trust them to not f**k it up, and apparently he looks weird. :(

Holy shit that's a bold statement! Obviously opinions and all that but X2 is so far down my list of comic books films.

I think that's being quite harsh as well. Iron Man 3 was good, Winter Soldier was great. I think Guardians of the Galaxy will be excellent and Avengers 2 should be similarly good. The Marvel Cinematic Universe are still doing great work, everyone else just can't keep pace.

Aye comic book films are not going to be ending any time soon. I'm all for more, as long as they're as good as the Avengers ones (by that I mean the run that started with Iron Man and will end with Avengers 3). Obviously with the success of these, others will be going to studios and pointing out how popular they are and getting to make their own ones. The problem is that others will be rushed, whereas the Avengers films have been planned for years, with a massive story arc running through them all which will culminate in Avengers 3 in 2017/18. They even have their own studio and company now.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe are still doing great work, everyone else just can't keep pace.

This, its the golden age of comic book films, We have had more good Xmen films than bad, The Spiderman films are excellent, the nolan batmans were outstanding, the newest superman has great potential, we might be proved wrong about the Affleck Batman and all of the Marvel Cinematic universe films have been brilliant. Im loving it just now and i cant wait to see dofp tomorrow

My thoughts on days of futures past

Overall the film was very good, Mcavoy stealing the show for me with his preformance. I didn't like that we were getting half a story though, they killed off so many characters from first class with barely a "oh trask got them" and I didn't like that they completely ignored the burning question of "Charles, the last time we seen you Jean turned you into dust" it was kinda just like they didn't wanna risk even trying to explain that. I agree that the quicksilver scenes were simply outstanding. I like the conclusion of the film tho, it effectively repairs all the damage that last stand caused. Blink was amazing, great looking character and a really awesome ability used very well, I hear the actress that plays her has signed a 5 Xmen film deal which I'm pretty chuffed about, with a good back story she has lots of potential. Overall it was a brilliant film, I wasn't entirely happy with them editing out nearly all rogues scenes but I hope they bring her back properly instead of being a perpetual victim

The use of Quicksilver was interesting since he will be involved in the Avengers series.

When they showed him watching TV at home later on, he was holding a little girl who was referred to as "Peter's sister" in the credits - much younger so obviously not his twin, possibly Polaris? Although she is only his half-sister in the comics and didn't grow up with him. She also has history with both Iceman and Havok.

quicksilvers sister is scarlett witch is it not?

It has the best plot and arguably the best performance of any Marvel film in the shape of Brian Cox's William Stryker.

I don't really rate the Avengers films that highly - Assemble was alright but so overrated. I used to have a degree of fondness for them but more than one viewing hasn't been kind to my opinion towards the franchise. For the most part, the individual films are distinctly average - and in the case of Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and The Incredible Hulk, absolutely dreadful. Guardians Of The Galaxy looks fucking awful IMO, I'm surprised Michael Bay isn't partly involved in the whole thing. Part of it probably comes from me not ever having any "connection" with the Avengers stuff, I've always found it quite boring.

The Spiderman films were alright. The Raimi trilogy is one part "okay", one part "good" and then one part "awful". The reboot series has been decent enough, certainly an improvement on the original trilogy.

Superman has been pointless. Two terrible reboots in recent years and they pale in comparison to Richard Donner's original two films.

It has the best plot and arguably the best performance of any Marvel film in the shape of Brian Cox's William Stryker.

I don't really rate the Avengers films that highly - Assemble was alright but so overrated. I used to have a degree of fondness for them but more than one viewing hasn't been kind to my opinion towards the franchise. For the most part, the individual films are distinctly average - and in the case of Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and The Incredible Hulk, absolutely dreadful. Guardians Of The Galaxy looks fucking awful IMO, I'm surprised Michael Bay isn't partly involved in the whole thing. Part of it probably comes from me not ever having any "connection" with the Avengers stuff, I've always found it quite boring.

The Spiderman films were alright. The Raimi trilogy is one part "okay", one part "good" and then one part "awful". The reboot series has been decent enough, certainly an improvement on the original trilogy.

Superman has been pointless. Two terrible reboots in recent years and they pale in comparison to Richard Donner's original two films.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks great imo, and opens up all the cosmic fun. Is the Silver Surfer owned by Fox due to the Fantastic Four though?

Regarding Superman, I don't really enjoy Donner's films anymore. There are still great moments, but I suspect nostalgia is making them more enjoyable for me than the films themselves.

Shocking to say, but if I was to be forced to watch any Superman film, I would always go straight for III. Totally ridiculous, but fun from start to finish.