Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

I really dislike the original Superman films. In fact I think they’re downright awful. The acting is garbage and incredibly hooky; it’s totally unbelievable and you don’t empathise with any character or make any sort of connection with them at all, and therefore don’t give a shit what they do or what happens to them (with the single exception being Gene Hackman’s Lex Luthor who is alright). When Lois Lane dies in the first one, I didn’t care. When she nearly drowns at Niagra Fall, I was shouting on the water to finish her off. In fact her character comes across as a wooden, boring charicature. All the characters seem incredibly stupid and exceptionally naïve as well. The character of Superman is an utter pussy of a guy in a cheap, shoddy costume that makes him look like even more of a tit. I’d probably rather fall to my death from a tall building than have this w****r swoop down and catch me. The Clark Kent character could be played by a carboard box with a face drawn on it, such is the level of emotion he displays. His portrayal reminds me both of Harold Zoid yelling ‘Emote damn you! at Calculon and of Simple Jack in Tropic Thunder. Clark Kent is not far off him.

The dialogue of the films is awkward, silly and clunky. Lois Lane especially excels at barking out some right duffers.

Also the fact that no one can tell he and Superman are the same makes them all look like stumbling dunces.

The storylines are dreadful as well. I’m unsure how flying really fast around the planet makes time travel possible. If he can really fly that fast, why didn’t he just do that in the first place and save Lois? Zod and his gang look like extras for a Gary Glitter video, a video that was filmed as cheaply as possible going by the abysmal outfits they wear. They may possibly be the most camp villans ever. The big guy who says nothing is perhaps an actual mannequin, and appears to wear eyeliner, making him look even more ridiculous. As a group they are supposed to be superior to humanity, yet they get defeated incredibly easily and in such a way that makes them look like thundering morons. It also is done so callously by Superman (he even makes a quip about it) despite him preaching throughout. Three murders (effectively genocide since they are the last of his people) are just laughed off and forgotten with a quick quip. They dominated Superman, using such tricks as shouting ‘Oh Superman; over here!’ which, incredibly, the Man Of Fail falls for, yet come to such a whimpering end as to make everyone involved look bad. These guys in effect took over the world, yet are so easily and so obviously lured to their deaths. And then there’s the that stupid cellophane ‘S’ thing Superman uses. It was unbelievably bad and clearly such lazy writing; one of the biggest cases ever of Deus ex machine in cinema. It was like they were stuck on what to do so just made complete bullshit up, bullshit that made no sense and that came from nowhere. Garbage. I can’t believe that Superman 2 is seen as one of the best films ever by so many. It’s a fucking disgrace of a film.

And I don’t think I need to expand on 3 and 4. Nuclear Man (a long nailed dickhead who looks like an 80s wrestling jobber)?! Richard Pryor (who, judging by his performance, ad libed most things and had no direction) and computers?! Evil Superman vs Clark Kent on a set that looked like it was thrown away by Dr Who in the 60s?!

Edited by DA Baracus

I really dislike the original Superman films. In fact I think they’re downright awful. The acting is garbage and incredibly hooky; it’s totally unbelievable and you don’t empathise with any character or make any sort of connection with them at all, and therefore don’t give a shit what they do or what happens to them (with the single exception being Gene Hackman’s Lex Luthor who is alright). When Lois Lane dies in the first one, I didn’t care. When she nearly drowns at Niagra Fall, I was shouting on the water to finish her off. In fact her character comes across as a wooden, boring charicature. All the characters seem incredibly stupid and exceptionally naïve as well. The character of Superman is an utter pussy of a guy in a cheap, shoddy costume that makes him look like even more of a tit. I’d probably rather fall to my death from a tall building than have this w****r swoop down and catch me. The Clark Kent character could be played by a carboard box with a face drawn on it, such is the level of emotion he displays. His portrayal reminds me both of Harold Zoid yelling ‘Emote damn you! at Calculon and of Simple Jack in Tropic Thunder. Clark Kent is not far off him.

The dialogue of the films is awkward, silly and clunky. Lois Lane especially excels at barking out some right duffers.

Also the fact that no one can tell he and Superman are the same makes them all look like stumbling dunces.

The storylines are dreadful as well. I’m unsure how flying really fast around the planet makes time travel possible. If he can really fly that fast, why didn’t he just do that in the first place and save Lois? Zod and his gang look like extras for a Gary Glitter video, a video that was filmed as cheaply as possible going by the abysmal outfits they wear. They may possibly be the most camp villans ever. The big guy who says nothing is perhaps an actual mannequin, and appears to wear eyeliner, making him look even more ridiculous. As a group they are supposed to be superior to humanity, yet they get defeated incredibly easily and in such a way that makes them look like thundering morons. It also is done so callously by Superman (he even makes a quip about it) despite him preaching throughout. Three murders (effectively genocide since they are the last of his people) are just laughed off and forgotten with a quick quip. They dominated Superman, using such tricks as shouting ‘Oh Superman; over here!’ which, incredibly, the Man Of Fail falls for, yet come to such a whimpering end as to make everyone involved look bad. These guys in effect took over the world, yet are so easily and so obviously lured to their deaths. And then there’s the that stupid cellophane ‘S’ thing Superman uses. It was unbelievably bad and clearly such lazy writing; one of the biggest cases ever of Deus ex machine in cinema. It was like they were stuck on what to do so just made complete bullshit up, bullshit that made no sense and that came from nowhere. Garbage. I can’t believe that Superman 2 is seen as one of the best films ever by so many. It’s a fucking disgrace of a film.

And I don’t think I need to expand on 3 and 4. Nuclear Man (a long nailed dickhead who looks like an 80s wrestling jobber)?! Richard Pryor (who, judging by his performance, ad libed most things and had no direction) and computers?! Evil Superman vs Clark Kent on a set that looked like it was thrown away by Dr Who in the 60s?!

im guessing you didnt like the original superman films then?

you really should emphasize this then, it didnt come across that well in your post above :P

I'm not so good at getting my point across. I just write terrible insults and swear words whilst punching myself in the face and screaming pure rage non stop until I sick up my lungs or my vocal cords snap and choke me.

I really dislike the original Superman films. In fact I think theyre downright awful. The acting is garbage and incredibly hooky; its totally unbelievable and you dont empathise with any character or make any sort of connection with them at all, and therefore dont give a shit what they do or what happens to them (with the single exception being Gene Hackmans Lex Luthor who is alright). When Lois Lane dies in the first one, I didnt care. When she nearly drowns at Niagra Fall, I was shouting on the water to finish her off. In fact her character comes across as a wooden, boring charicature. All the characters seem incredibly stupid and exceptionally naïve as well. The character of Superman is an utter pussy of a guy in a cheap, shoddy costume that makes him look like even more of a tit. Id probably rather fall to my death from a tall building than have this w****r swoop down and catch me. The Clark Kent character could be played by a carboard box with a face drawn on it, such is the level of emotion he displays. His portrayal reminds me both of Harold Zoid yelling Emote damn you! at Calculon and of Simple Jack in Tropic Thunder. Clark Kent is not far off him.

The storylines are dreadful as well. Im unsure how flying really fast around the planet makes time travel possible. If he can really fly that fast, why didnt he just do that in the first place and save Lois? Zod and his gang look like extras for a Gary Glitter video, a video that was filmed as cheaply as possible going by the abysmal outfits they wear. They may possibly be the most camp villans ever. The big guy who says nothing is perhaps an actual mannequin, and appears to wear eyeliner, making him look even more ridiculous. As a group they are supposed to be superior to humanity, yet they get defeated incredibly easily and in such a way that makes them look like thundering morons. It also is done so callously by Superman (he even makes a quip about it) despite him preaching throughout. Three murders (effectively genocide since they are the last of his people) are just laughed off and forgotten with a quick quip. They dominated Superman, using such tricks as shouting Oh Superman; over here! which, incredibly, the Man Of Fail falls for, yet come to such a whimpering end as to make everyone involved look bad. These guys in effect took over the world, yet are so easily and so obviously lured to their deaths. And then theres the that stupid cellophane S thing Superman uses. It was unbelievably bad and clearly such lazy writing; one of the biggest cases ever of Deus ex machine in cinema. It was like they were stuck on what to do so just made complete bullshit up, bullshit that made no sense and that came from nowhere. Garbage. I cant believe that Superman 2 is seen as one of the best films ever by so many. Its a fucking disgrace of a film.

And I dont think I need to expand on 3 and 4. Nuclear Man (a long nailed dickhead who looks like an 80s wrestling jobber)?! Richard Pryor (who, judging by his performance, ad libed most things and had no direction) and computers?! Evil Superman vs Clark Kent on a set that looked like it was thrown away by Dr Who in the 60s?!

A write-up Albino Rover would be proud of imo ;)

the-bird.gif

bit cheesy i know but recently ive started watching the old x-men cartoons on netflix whenever the other half is watching her usual shite on TV

quite good and a lot closer to the comics, and its weird watching these and seeing the character differences after watching the x-men films and knowing their backstories from the film side of things

i would have loved it had the film franchise incorporated how rouge got her super powers, perhaps with the first class and DoFP reboot they could very well do it, definitely a storyline that has potential, also Cable is a fucking superb character

oh and the differences in the DoFP storylines between comics, cartoons and films is quite astonishing, all 3 are good but all 3 have massive different stories

bit cheesy i know but recently ive started watching the old x-men cartoons on netflix whenever the other half is watching her usual shite on TV

quite good and a lot closer to the comics, and its weird watching these and seeing the character differences after watching the x-men films and knowing their backstories from the film side of things

i would have loved it had the film franchise incorporated how rouge got her super powers, perhaps with the first class and DoFP reboot they could very well do it, definitely a storyline that has potential, also Cable is a fucking superb character

oh and the differences in the DoFP storylines between comics, cartoons and films is quite astonishing, all 3 are good but all 3 have massive different stories

Nothing wrong with that, the old cartoon was brilliant, it's what got me into the franchise as i'm not a comic book reader

Nothing wrong with that, the old cartoon was brilliant, it's what got me into the franchise as i'm not a comic book reader

its quite amazing how cyclops was the team leader and a major role in the cartoons, but a bit part player at best in the film franchise lol

next up after this will be the spiderman cartoons, i remember watching them a lot when i was younger but missing the odd episode used to screw up the storylines

Xmen cartoon was quality and gets watched every now and then. That said the 90s Spiderman series pisses over, slaps it about the head and steals its wallet

I used to watch said cartoons as well. They, and Fantastic Four, were all on The Marvel Action Hour on BBC1 on Saturday mornings. Quite often the three had interwining stories.

I think The Racoons followed. Good times.

I'm going to see DOFP today. Can't wait.

Saw DOFP yesterday. Loved it. Fassbender in particular nailed it. He portrayed such menace and evil without having to scream and shout. His eerie calm and rationale radiated more threat and terror than someone roaring and screaming. McAvoy was tremendous as well and really sold the hurt Charles was feeling over all the way things panned out in First Class. Jackman was class as Logan as well. Notice how no one called him Wolverine in the entire film; I think this was deliberate to show how much he had matured and changed since we first saw him in a cage fight in Canada.

Anyway, here are some questions and some general points for those who have seen the film;

- How did Wolverine get his metal claws back in the future? I thought they used up all the adamantium when they first operated on him?

- How did Wolverine know Quicksilver? He doesn't even mention him in the first 5 films. There is no hint that he's about at all.

- Why did they keep Magneto's helmet when he was captured? Why didn't they crush it so he couldn't wear it? Or just chuck it down it in to the Mariana Trench in a bag of rocks?

- I assume the buttoms and badges of all the officers guarding Magneto are plastic?

- The sentinels of the future look quite a bit like the Destroyer in Thor. They also move like it and the fire out the face stuff is very similar too

- What was Bolivar Trask's motivation? There's a scene where Mystique is in his office and a painting gives a slight hint, but that's it.

- What's to stop Jean Grey from going mental again and unleashing The Phoenix?

- Surely the mutants wouldn't be left alone just because Mystique saved the President and his entourage? There are loads of folk who fear and hate them (the senator in the first X-Men for one). Talking of which...

- What happened to Stryker?

- Will the Wolverine of the new future/present have an adamantium exoskeleton?

- What happened to Magneto and Mystique after the events of 1973?

- The ending is a bit dodgy. Many major leaps of logic have been taken. The world and the flow of time were massively altered after the events of 1973. There is simply no way that it would all be so nicely tied up with everyone back in the school etc. Some of them wouldn't even be born as their parents would never meet due to the massive changes made in the past. Even the smalled alteration in the past would change so much in the future.

- Now that we know Apocalypse will be the villan in the next one, where has he been throughout the six films to date? You'd think he'd especially be involved when the sentinals of the future are going mental, as they would target him. Or will it be revealed that he was away from Earth when shit was going down? Also who will be fighting him; the First Class gang or the 'originals'?

Saw DOFP yesterday. Loved it. Fassbender in particular nailed it. He portrayed such menace and evil without having to scream and shout. His eerie calm and rationale radiated more threat and terror than someone roaring and screaming. McAvoy was tremendous as well and really sold the hurt Charles was feeling over all the way things panned out in First Class. Jackman was class as Logan as well. Notice how no one called him Wolverine in the entire film; I think this was deliberate to show how much he had matured and changed since we first saw him in a cage fight in Canada.

Anyway, here are some questions and some general points for those who have seen the film;

- How did Wolverine get his metal claws back in the future? I thought they used up all the adamantium when they first operated on him?

- Did they say that? I can't remember. Anyway, he's the same guy, so would have had it bonded to him by that time. In any case, I think that, while rare, it's meant to be obtainable. There was a vat of the stuff that he killed the Deathstrike bird with in X-Men 2.

- How did Wolverine know Quicksilver? He doesn't even mention him in the first 5 films. There is no hint that he's about at all.

- I think this is just "he just did".

- Why did they keep Magneto's helmet when he was captured? Why didn't they crush it so he couldn't wear it? Or just chuck it down it in to the Mariana Trench in a bag of rocks?

- maybe to see how the tech worked, and prevented psychic folk attacking him?

- I assume the buttoms and badges of all the officers guarding Magneto are plastic?

- guess so

- The sentinels of the future look quite a bit like the Destroyer in Thor. They also move like it and the fire out the face stuff is very similar too

- I'm guessing coincidence

- What was Bolivar Trask's motivation? There's a scene where Mystique is in his office and a painting gives a slight hint, but that's it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivar_Trask

- What's to stop Jean Grey from going mental again and unleashing The Phoenix?

- nothing

- Surely the mutants wouldn't be left alone just because Mystique saved the President and his entourage? There are loads of folk who fear and hate them (the senator in the first X-Men for one). Talking of which...

- yeah, but there hasn't been a tipping point where they'll sanction all out war on them

- What happened to Stryker?

- he took Wolverine off at the end

- Will the Wolverine of the new future/present have an adamantium exoskeleton?

-aye

- What happened to Magneto and Mystique after the events of 1973?

- they had a short-lived sitcom then retired in Florida

- The ending is a bit dodgy. Many major leaps of logic have been taken. The world and the flow of time were massively altered after the events of 1973. There is simply no way that it would all be so nicely tied up with everyone back in the school etc. Some of them wouldn't even be born as their parents would never meet due to the massive changes made in the past. Even the smalled alteration in the past would change so much in the future.

-it's a movie

- Now that we know Apocalypse will be the villan in the next one, where has he been throughout the six films to date? You'd think he'd especially be involved when the sentinals of the future are going mental, as they would target him. Or will it be revealed that he was away from Earth when shit was going down? Also who will be fighting him; the First Class gang or the 'originals'?

- Dunno. Having a long kip.