Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

6 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

I think GRRM messed up cause in the houses appendix at the end of a Game of Thrones he says that Rhaegar & Dany's mum was widowed at 14, so how can she have 2 children to the same dad that far apart in ages?

As in the houses appendix at the end of the first book or some sort of DVD extra? The book doesn't have ages in it, it says 'Queen Rhaella of House Targaryen, died in childbed on Dragonstone'.

Sorry to be a book w****r here as the last thing I want to do is come across like Kiddy, but I don't think she's ever even been mentioned in the TV show so the books are all we have to go on here and her age is never mentioned in them. Discounting additional things which are supposed to be canon but can be prone to mistakes like A World of Ice and Fire (FWIW that suggests that Rhaegar was 24 when he died and Rhaella was somewhere from 37-39), we know from the main books that Daenerys was born in 284 AC and that Rhaegar died in 283 AC at the Trident, obviously as an adult who already had children of his own. There's nothing in any of the books to suggest any of them aren't the Mad King's children either; she was widowed when Jaime Lannister killed him, also in 283 AC.

Are you maybe getting wires crossed with an appendix saying Dany was widowed at 14 when Drogo died?

2 minutes ago, Tamdunk said:

That could be it.

I could have just checked that in the first place and saved myself all that geeking out about the ages of fictional characters there, but aye, Clash of Kings appendix. I'm sure it is supposed to mean Dany but it's worded exceptionally badly

"Daenerys Targaryen, called Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, blah blah blah, sole surviving child of King Aerys II Targaryen by his sister/wife, Queen Rhaella, a widow at fourteen years."

7 hours ago, The Ginger Prince said:

Apparently there was a pact that they agreed to that allowed the white walkers to control north of the wall and leave the southerners to their own devices. So anyone north of the wall was fair game.

If you remember way back at the start of the TV shows, the white walkers allowed the member of the nights watch to get away and subsequently didn't harm him. Then Sam killed a white Walker with dragon-glass which meant the pact was finished - one of them had been killed by a southerner.

Dunno if I've explained that right tbh but I hope you get my drift.

Ranger patrols had been going missing including Benjen Starks, that was caused the "great ranging". The Night King had also begun a campaign of killing raising from the dead Freefolk to build an army, that was the impetus of them to accept Mance as King Beyond the Wall. The Night King attacked the great ranging at the Fist of the First Men. 

Worst season of the lot, the writing was all over the place.

Contrived, deus ex machina-ed, skinning the cat, time jumps, inconsistencies, lack of consequences, blatantly obvious resolution to contrived situation upon contrived situation to get the dragons up north, unbelievable and contrived 'Sansa v Arya' plot and conclusion. Worst of all, no blocking rubble at the demolished wall.

Re the theory that the dead were going to wait for the sea to freeze when they reached Eastwatch; there are sheer cliffs either side of the wall down to the sea at Eastwatch, so the army of the dead would have jump (or fall) down, and dead or not that would still f**k them up (limbs shattered so they couldn't walk, or fight as effectively). Even if they got down, how would they then get back up?

Also the sea would take ages to freeze, if it ever did. The sea there is already in a rather cold place and hasn't frozen.

Pretty sure the Night King intended to try and lure a dragon to kill and turn it all along (why else would the Walkers he was with be carrying those ice javelin things, which are visible before Daenerys turns up)?

Also picked up on something else (which could be, and most likely is, absolutely nothing); Ned stated that whoever passes the judgement should wield the axe, something that both Robb and Jon reiterate at different points later on. However, on the Winterfell ramparts, after Littlefinger is killed, Arya says that she was just the executioner and that it was Sansa who passed the sentence.

Did they even really need the sea to freeze? They could just walk along the sea bed Pirates of the Carribean style, as they must have essentially done in the bed of the lake when they lashed Viserion up in chains to bring him to the surface.

3 hours ago, Spain said:

Did they even really need the sea to freeze? They could just walk along the sea bed Pirates of the Carribean style, as they must have essentially done in the bed of the lake when they lashed Viserion up in chains to bring him to the surface.

Surely the sea there would just sweep them away though? It would scatter the army of the dead all over the coast beyond the wall or just in to middle of The Shivering Sea. The lake bed where Viserion was wouldn't have had any tides to sweep soldiers away.

Also if they really wanted to go down the 'wait for the sea to freeze route' then they'd be better firing down the west side of the Wall as there's a part of land that goes past the Wall. They then just have to wait for the sea/river to freeze then walk across, with no Wall to contend with, and with no one knowing they'd done it.

Anyway, where are the dead going to go first? A look at the map would suggest that Last Heart would be their first stop. You would assume that they will make their way towards Winterfell, as the Night King will surely know that Bran and Jon (and presumably Daenarys) will be there. 

Do the living plan to fight the dead on a field of battle? Or hole up in somewhere like Winterfell and let the dead attack, with the intention being to pick them off whilst they are well fortified behind ramparts? I would assume it would be former, especially since the Night King now has a dragon, making any sort of defensive strategy pretty redundant. 

That would be pointless, and there's only about 7 folk at Castle Black now anyway. Also they appear to be heading south, not west.

Plus they'd be attacking it from the front, which would just be a waste of time and soldiers, since it's not ice, it's stone, and even with a dragon that would be harder going.

I get all that, but it's not like they couldn't send a small squad off to finish them once and for all. A symbolic massacre if you will.

I want to know more about the Night King, how it all works and their motivation. I'm not accepting the show saying they are simply a weapon gone mad.
I also want zombie Hodor.