Doctor Who

yoda

43 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'm really not getting Torchwood. Has the look and feel of Tennant-era DW, but then the characters turn to each other and start talking about hard-ons, cum and so on. Not exactly something to sit and watch with the kids. 

It was never aimed at the kids. Which is why Torchwood will often reference events in Doctor Who but it rarely if ever happens the other way in case kids are made curious and demand to see Torchwood.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

It was never aimed at the kids. Which is why Torchwood will often reference events in Doctor Who but it rarely if ever happens the other way in case kids are made curious and demand to see Torchwood.

The point I'm trying to make is that the rest of the show has the same tone and feel as Doctor Who, so it doesn't really work as an adults only show either. 

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I'm really not getting Torchwood. Has the look and feel of Tennant-era DW, but then the characters turn to each other and start talking about hard-ons, cum and so on. Not exactly something to sit and watch with the kids. 

It screams 2006 tbh. Desperate to have a Doctor Who that was definitely not for kids and went for sex rather than violence. Didn't really do it for me when I tried it

The Celestial Toymaker.

A good, if somewhat surreal Hartnell offering. He clearly was on holiday for the middle episodes, leaving the companions to do the heavy lifting. 

Enjoyable.

On Torchwood, the second half of the first series seems to have picked up. Dialled back the sex and swearing to make better episodes. The one where they went back in time and met the original Jack Harkness was very good. 

16 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The Celestial Toymaker.

A good, if somewhat surreal Hartnell offering. He clearly was on holiday for the middle episodes, leaving the companions to do the heavy lifting. 

Yep.

"William Hartnell was on holiday during the recordings of Episodes 2 & 3, "The Hall of Dolls" and "The Dancing Floor". Pre-recordings of his voice were heard in episode 2 and Albert Ward was a hand double (sporting the Doctor's ring) for scenes where the mostly invisible Doctor played the Trilogic Game throughout the story. The story was commissioned by producer John Wiles, who left the series before it was recorded after several clashes with William Hartnell. His intention was to replace Hartnell in the role of the Doctor during the story, having the character reappear in a new guise after the invisibility was removed by the Toymaker. The BBC's head of serials, Gerald Savory, vetoed the idea, leading to Wiles quitting in protest."

• 3 weeks later...

Been persisting with Torchwood. 

Second half of series 1 and first half of series 2 were actually good. 

Second half of series 2 and they are out of ideas. Kill the show please. 

Now, starting children of earth. Weird. Cush Jumbo is always welcome...Peter Capaldi?? 

K9 can f**k off.

I could imagine a "V"-style Zygon series. There will obviously be something involving the Daleks. I'd like a Meddling Monk series but I've probably got as much chance of seeing Clyde win the cup. Would also be more than happy to watch anything featuring Missy. She's great.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Half way through Torchwood's Children of Earth. This is really good. 

I don't think you need to watch the preceding two series if you want to jump right to this. 

And...The Twin Dilemma. Colin Baker's debut, DW has never shied away from the big issues of the day. In this case, the catastrophe facing youngsters in the 80s subjected to bowl cuts. 

I actually think Colin Baker was alright. When hamming it up and over-acting, he was very engaging. Quite why they went down another "regeneration gone awry" story I don't understand. They dragged that out with Davison. 

Attack of the Cybermen

Quite enjoyable story with Colin Baker. I was expecting all his to be awful but this was not bad at all. 

It's all relative. This was the mid-80s and is still a long way off the mid-60s or mid-70s DW.

Peri is a massive improvement on poor Peter Davison's carnival of dross companions. 

On 18/08/2023 at 23:02, Bully Wee Villa said:

Watched a bit of Torchwood and it always seemed just sort of alright, but there wasn't enough to persuade me to persist with it. 

Be interesting to see what DW spin-offs Disney have planned.

Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who. 

If you can think of any others you should suggest it to them.

HTH

Mark of the Rani. 

A bit dull, this one. The real drag was the Master showing up yet again. He wasn't the main baddie and generally just got in the way. I am getting a bit tired of Anthony Ainley's version. Just lacks the menace and the charm of other actors who played the role. 

The Rani herself wasn't too bad. 

The Two Doctors

The last outing for Patrick Troughton. Enjoyable story written by Robert Holmes, but a few drawbacks. Troughton himself isn't in the first two episodes very much, and he looks very old and Ill here. But in episode 3 he comes good, with more lines and some stuff to do. 

By the end I was rooting for Shockeye to find, cook and eat a human. 

Peri is a good companion but I wish Colin Baker would stop snapping at her and effectively calling her stupid. And, for no reason, we'll have her walking about in a bra for a few minutes. 

Timelash

Having sat through Colin Baker's first few stories and found them not too bad, we're in car crash territory here. 

Baker's Doctor is just awful in this. Snapping, shouting, grating on people. Totally unrelatable. The story was a mess, sets crap, acting dreadful.

Add to that, constant referencing to when Jon Pertwee's Doctor was on the planet with Jo Grant. Having puzzled myself all the way through thinking what story this might have been, an internet search tells me that there was no such episode. For no reason at all they just shoehorned in a picture of Jo and a (terrible) painting of Pertwee. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Timelash

Having sat through Colin Baker's first few stories and found them not too bad, we're in car crash territory here. 

Some fans have speculated that it's no coincidence that the title is an anagram of 'Lameshit'.

Revelation of the Daleks.

blackadder-rowan-atkinson.gif

What was that all about? Complete jibberish storyline. Something about a funeral director and his assistant? Davros is back with Emperor Palpatine powers but then goes off meekly with some Daleks. The story was not well explained, the direction was shoddy. Just poor from start to finish.

Alexei Sayle pretending to be an American DJ is just about the worst thing I have ever seen in Doctor Who, and I watched Love and Monsters.

And Colin Baker is getting worse. I thought that as the series went on he'd get a bit less abrasive, but no. He's getting worse.